Who is Your Favorite Neo Character and Why? (This is for an article I'm publishing)

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Update!

To all who shared - Thanks for your thoughts! It's been fun reading through these.

Here is the link for the article - if there are any more great submissions I'll add to it!

Click on the Articles link, then the title SNK's Relatable Characters.

Original Message:

Hey Peeps - this sounds like a noob question, but it is a serious question.

I'm developing an article for my website on how/why players relate to their favorite SNK characters, and I'd like to include some stories from long-time Neo fans. Despite the drama here, you are all a very thoughtful group and your ideas are usually well developed when you have a story to tell. :)

SNK brought a relateability to their characters in a way that Capcom or other fighting game developers typically didn't - their plotlines were often more "Saturday morning cartoon" in nature.

This idea came about when talking to a friend about why he is drawn to Ukyo from Samurai Shodown - while not the same illness, they both share a chronic condition that affects all areas of their lives they must overcome to survive.

Here's an excerpt from my draft to give you an idea of my angle.

The connection players feel to their favorite characters in SNK games run much deeper than enjoying the mechanics of how they play in the game engine. Sure, I love the way Terry Bogard plays, but it is his story of loss and his identity as a lone-wolf orphan that struck a chord with me when I was 13 years old. Having dealt with the loss of two fathers by that point, and dealing with the scars that come from being an adopted orphan, Terry’s story spoke to me. No, I didn’t have anyone to take revenge against or blame for the loss in my life, but I was angry. Terry was angry. But Terry channeled that anger into a driving force to make him better in every way possible. In a hurtful adolescence full of loss and being an outcast in my family and community, his story brought hope to me in a way that I’m only beginning to understand as an adult almost 30 years later.

If you'd like to contribute, thank you! If there are a lot of submissions I may not get to include all of them. I plan on attaching the user names of the members I include in the article, but if you wish to share your story and do not want me to include your user name, please share your story in confidence over PM. I will never release your name in conjunction with the story.

Thanks, everyone!

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Terry Bogard.

With most action games being full of armored warriors and karate gi wearing martial artists, Terry just seemed like a casually dressed everyday dude (I actually thought he was a Domino's Pizza delivery guy when I first saw him as a kid in Fatal Fury 1 lol) . The Fatal Fury and King of Fighters games featured cutscenes, a developing story and combined with his representation in the Masami Obari anime tv specials and motion picture, Terry seemed more relatable and to have more personality than most other game characters to me.

Having lost his adoptive father at a young age, Terry Bogard undoubtedly went through a lot of pain in the years proceeding his fateful return back to South Town. Despite having a backstory that isn't too far off from DC's Batman or Marvel's Daredevil, unlike those characters, Terry Bogard is not defined by angst and brooding. Although originally motivated by the need to avenge the death of his adoptive father, Terry can usually be found enjoying the company of his friends, playing video games or enjoying a game of basketball with the other less fortunate kids around South Town.

He's just an all around cool character; a character who's positive attitude and perseverance has inspired me to such a degree that I named my son after him.

Cheers.

F53A6418-9A52-4777-A83C-C2E4B1AB35F9.png

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
No idea anymore.
Ukyo and Iori were who I gravitated towards when I was younger. Ukyo for the sword style, and Iori cuz he looked evil.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I think Ukyo was the character that ultimately made me a neo geo fanatic. There was a lot of interesting discussions in the arcade crowd back in the early 90s about the balancing of SS1, and how Ukyo's moves often left him wide open for counters. I hated Ukyo in SS2 because he was so overpowered, but overall, he's my favorite character. My second most played character is Jubei, because of how easy it is to cheese wins from aggressive players.

In Gekka no Kenshi, it was all about Setsuna for his SDM.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
I’m a AOF fan, Robert Garcia for sure. I played a lot of AoF on snes and later on aes; also, he was my go to in kof 94 and 95.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
1. Terry from FF and KoF
His attitude, character design, and overall play style was always fun to me. That and being the general "Face of Neo Geo" it was always cool seeing him in different advertising.

2. Marco from Metal Slug
Silent but deadly that character was just fun to watch as he mowed down enemies with gunfire.

3. Yoshitora Tokugawa from SamSho
I always enjoyed the character's attitude and presentation as well as his crazy number of swords that he named after women.
... although....I did always find it weird that he would go off of the stage once in a while with a small child... That looked like a concubine.....

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Rick S. from Real Bout 2.

Fun to play, easy on the eyes, and not available anywhere else outside of Card Fighters Clash.

HawkJ229

n00b
Krauser.

"Please die quietly or I have to ask you to leave."

That line put him over for me for life. Also, what a name.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Rick S. from Real Bout 2.

Fun to play, easy on the eyes, and not available anywhere else outside of Card Fighters Clash.

Rick rocks :buttrock:

He and Alfred were playable in Fatal Fury First Contact on ngpc as well, but yeah, he’s been MIA as a playable character ever since Vanessa stole chunks of his moveset lol

Krauser.

"Please die quietly or I have to ask you to leave."

That line put him over for me for life. Also, what a name.

The hotel provided an “assassin at no charge”. It couldn’t be helped lol:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member

He and Alfred were playable in Fatal Fury First Contact on ngpc as well

Well, shave my goat!!

WHO HAS A COPY FOR SALE FOR YOUR MANS?!?!

This is outstanding news. Thanks for upping me on it.

I can play Rick, and use my favorite stick for games...name your price, people-lol.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Hikyaku because he doesn't get near enough appreciation

samuraishodown2_photo33.png

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
King for sure. The whole gender thing, sharp tuxedo and badass move set. I enjoy thrashing out combos in KOF 98 and her theme park stage in AOF2 is one of the best looking on the system. She makes the Street Fighter roster look token and like all the good things in life, as a character, she keeps you guessing

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Genjuro, Takuma, Andy Bogard, Caffeine Nicotine, Earthquake are my top 5.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Neo and Geo from the Quiz Daisousasen series. Probably the deepest SNK characters hands down.

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Joe Higashi is my all time favourite. Couldn't really tell you why though...

HawkJ229

n00b

He and Alfred were playable in Fatal Fury First Contact on ngpc as well, but yeah, he’s been MIA as a playable character ever since Vanessa stole chunks of his moveset lol

The hotel provided an “assassin at no charge”. It couldn’t be helped lol:

Damn Viz VHS nostalgia. That song, Keep on Calling has been a huge part of my childhood.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Updated first message with link to the article. Thanks everyone!