Beast Busters LP / Hyper Neo Geo Finale

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

I couldn’t edit my old thread. Dunno why. But you can watch me burn through credits and play poorly due to playing on a small capture window

Last edited:

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
And here I clicked on this topic to find out about a Beast Busters vinyl LP. Well played sir.

NightWolve

NEST Puppet
I couldn’t edit my old thread. Dunno why.
There's a permanent timeout on editing a post to whatever the admin set. So after say 30 days, the post is permanent. You could ask a mod to edit a change for you if it really mattered.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

Hijacking my own thread to not make another

I’m done talking Hyper...cause I ran out of games

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Very cool series on the Hyper. What a beast.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster
Great series overall. Especially that document on how the hyper 64 works is really appricated.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
This was a fantastic series. Thank you for shining some light on this under appreciated system and library :buttrock:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
This was a fantastic series. Thank you for shining some light on this under appreciated system and library :buttrock:

Thanks. It was a fun time. Maybe some day I’ll do one for the AES. Not for a long time though. Gotta spread it out

Rasubosu

Crazed MVS Addict
Bumpity bump

Very interesting how a flight stick was used to work on this game. I always thought the game was a real light gun setup but looking at the actual gun mechanisms that were on the cab it was just a giant joystick setup. I'm wondering, would it be possible to somehow make a stock stick and button setup work on the MOBO converted to JAMMA like you did and make it work on a Neo Geo cab since there's no actual light guns being used?

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
A bit of an unrelated rant, but I was thinking about analog UZI setups a la Operation Wolf and I really wonder if it isn't possible to hack existing lightgun games to eat up an analog XY input to position a crosshair on screen, instead of relying on photodiodes and shit from GunCon et al.

I say hack because directly pretend the stick is a lightgun with photodiode and sync signal is probably impossible... something like that would certainly be great for people without CRTs (aka me) and there are games that already do the analog stick setup (ie PC Engine Operation Wolf with the Sharp Cyberstick).

Rasubosu

Crazed MVS Addict
A bit of an unrelated rant, but I was thinking about analog UZI setups a la Operation Wolf and I really wonder if it isn't possible to hack existing lightgun games to eat up an analog XY input to position a crosshair on screen, instead of relying on photodiodes and shit from GunCon et al.

I say hack because directly pretend the stick is a lightgun with photodiode and sync signal is probably impossible... something like that would certainly be great for people without CRTs (aka me) and there are games that already do the analog stick setup (ie PC Engine Operation Wolf with the Sharp Cyberstick).

Would be cool but it's probably easier to make light guns work on non-CRTs like that one sensor they made recently for HDTVs that work with certain games. Its probably only a matter of time before someone gets something working for other consoles. I know Polymega has one that's supposed to work with their machine but until they put it and the rest of their stuff out who knows how well it works.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Bumpity bump

Very interesting how a flight stick was used to work on this game. I always thought the game was a real light gun setup but looking at the actual gun mechanisms that were on the cab it was just a giant joystick setup. I'm wondering, would it be possible to somehow make a stock stick and button setup work on the MOBO converted to JAMMA like you did and make it work on a Neo Geo cab since there's no actual light guns being used?

Basically any time you see a gun mounted to the cabinet like beast busters you know its an X/Y gun vs an optical sensor "light gun"...good rule of thumb to figure out what tech its using :)