How to not buy fake AES shit...a guide

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
A Pulstar conversion with original boards like your Neo Bomberman probably would've been harder to pick out, especially with a repro manual, if done well. You wouldn't have been able to tell by the weight. But I'm glad you mentioned the weight, since there are now so many 100% repros on Etsy now.

I think most repro dealers got shut down on Etsy a few months ago (all consoles)? There are a few sellers with rom hacks and some homebrew stuff left, but it's not the repro market that it used to be. I used to follow a few sellers for NES rom-hacks and oddities, and they are all gone.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
A Pulstar conversion with original boards like your Neo Bomberman probably would've been harder to pick out, especially with a repro manual, if done well. You wouldn't have been able to tell by the weight. But I'm glad you mentioned the weight, since there are now so many 100% repros on Etsy now.

Thanks. I subbed.

Yeah the weight is just when they use repro pcb’s vs sac’ing an MVS cart, but it’s a dead giveaway all the same. The Neo Bomberman weighs approximately what all the other AES carts does, but no need to expose that as a “fake” since it was never released on AES. But then again I mentioned it since foolish buyers may have no idea Neo Bomberman was MVS only so who knows.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Awesome video bro.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
no need to expose that as a “fake” since it was never released on AES. But then again I mentioned it since foolish buyers may have no idea Neo Bomberman was MVS only so who knows.

This.

Guys, make sure to check the neo-geo.com master list.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
This.

Guys, make sure to check the neo-geo.com master list.

Or send them to me. I am expert.

c9a4c96ebf405934f6be4f4df3cccc0e.jpg

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Good video. For what it’s worth, I got a KOF 2000 jp off eBay that has a replacement snap lock case. I don’t really care and I don’t think the seller knew the difference either but some of the cheap stuff definitely isn’t all original.

nmsc

n00b
Slightly off topic but relevant, is there a guide out there that shows how to safely open an AES or MVS cart without damaging it or the label? I've seen a few verified authentic carts get damaged in the process.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Slightly off topic but relevant, is there a guide out there that shows how to safely open an AES or MVS cart without damaging it or the label? I've seen a few verified authentic carts get damaged in the process.

JAMMA Nation X has one for AES. MVS is just screws so it’s dumb easy

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I'm going to tell you right now that what you will want to do is grab a practice cart before attempting to open up one that is really valuable!!! Sometime an AES shell is mounted with glue or the clips are off alignment making for a very frustrating session. If you don't trust yourself,get somebody to check it for you that knows what they are doing.
BB

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I'm going to tell you right now that what you will want to do is grab a practice cart before attempting to open up one that is really valuable!!! Sometime an AES shell is mounted with glue or the clips are off alignment making for a very frustrating session. If you don't trust yourself,get somebody to check it for you that knows what they are doing.
BB

If only SNK has been like every other manufacturer ever and used screws lol

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member

I've found this on Youtube, it's in french but you can clearly see the tabs that you need to push in. Just make sure not to completely open the shell and just slide the pcbs out and back in. I also recommend you constantly put your fingers on the side and slightly push on the top of the label to keep the alignment of both parts of the shell and prevent any crease.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Your videos are always appreciated. Glad to see the Boot Pulstar make an appearance

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I've found this on Youtube, it's in french but you can clearly see the tabs that you need to push in. Just make sure not to completely open the shell and just slide the pcbs out and back in. I also recommend you constantly put your fingers on the side and slightly push on the top of the label to keep the alignment of both parts of the shell and prevent any crease.

Lol of course the french know how to pop those carts open quickly

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
any cart that has the label on both sides of the plastic shell sucks. Any cart put together with plastic tabs like the famicom carts sucks. AES is the worst of both worlds.

what were they thinking!?!

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
They weren't thinking that anybody would ever need to open them.

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
Both videos in this thread make it look so damn effortless. I tried opening my first AES cart this morning with 2 hard plastic spudgers (don't have metal ones which seem like they could cause more damage or scratches) but gave up after a bit. I didn't want to fuck it up. It's not an expensive cart, but also not an extra so I'll practice on my extra Samurai Spirits 2 once I can get it out of storage.

I do honestly wish there were some way to use a tiny/thin snake camera to get up in the guts without opening the cart. I wonder if there are some cameras out there small enough to fit through the slight gaps in the bottom.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Both videos in this thread make it look so damn effortless. I tried opening my first AES cart this morning with 2 hard plastic spudgers (don't have metal ones which seem like they could cause more damage or scratches) but gave up after a bit. I didn't want to fuck it up. It's not an expensive cart, but also not an extra so I'll practice on my extra Samurai Spirits 2 once I can get it out of storage.

I do honestly wish there were some way to use a tiny/thin snake camera to get up in the guts without opening the cart. I wonder if there are some cameras out there small enough to fit through the slight gaps in the bottom.

There are def small enough cameras. They just aren't cheap

And yes it looks easy till you have to do it

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
We need to be able to x-ray the carts.

If I collected expensive AES I would probably just go by provenance. After you've paid that much, it's better just left unknown. I suppose if you have to sell, that's when it gets tricky.

Last edited:

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Checked this and a few other vids, awesome stuff man!

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
There are def small enough cameras. They just aren't cheap

And yes it looks easy till you have to do it

Eventually small snake cameras will be cheap enough though. A quick google search showed a few around $250 and 5.5mm was the smallest head I saw. They'll certainly get smaller over the years. Of course even if we can get a camera in the cart, it doesn't mean jack shit if we can't see good detail and know what to look for. I could slide one up my ass and do my own colonoscopy, but it wouldn't do much good without a doctor's knowledge of wtf I'm seeing. It would give the camera some added flavor though and certainly up its resale value.

X-ray'ing AES carts is an interesting idea, but unless you mean "x-ray" in the general sense of looking inside (ie, ultrasound), there would be no way afaik to make out anything meaningful. Plus with 2 boards in the cart they would be on top of each other in the picture. I would think actual x-rays would damage or probably damage something anyways. So yea, provenance is still best for now.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Eventually small snake cameras will be cheap enough though. A quick google search showed a few around $250 and 5.5mm was the smallest head I saw. They'll certainly get smaller over the years. Of course even if we can get a camera in the cart, it doesn't mean jack shit if we can't see good detail and know what to look for. I could slide one up my ass and do my own colonoscopy, but it wouldn't do much good without a doctor's knowledge of wtf I'm seeing. It would give the camera some added flavor though and certainly up its resale value.

X-ray'ing AES carts is an interesting idea, but unless you mean "x-ray" in the general sense of looking inside (ie, ultrasound), there would be no way afaik to make out anything meaningful. Plus with 2 boards in the cart they would be on top of each other in the picture. I would think actual x-rays would damage or probably damage something anyways. So yea, provenance is still best for now.

All this because of 6 plastic tabs. :lolz: