Neo Geo Mini $29.99 on Amazon

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
what price would get me to buy more plastic crap? apparently about $30....

Every man has his price...
And yeah this sucks Bishamon, same here for Brazil but I never thought people in Canada would also get delivery restricted on that one.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Couldn’t pass one up for $30. Hopefully there’s a fire sale on those arcade sticks at some point too.

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
Back up to $60 now on Amazon (third party seller). I shouldn't have waited, not worth it at that price. I snoost, I lost.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Got mine today. For $30 it’s not the worst. I’ll still probably take it apart and mess with it though

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Got mine today. For $30 it’s not the worst. I’ll still probably take it apart and mess with it though

ben heck did a teardown and convertered one to handheld. You will likely find some interesting tidbits in the breakdown.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Back up to $60 now on Amazon (third party seller). I shouldn't have waited, not worth it at that price. I snoost, I lost.

It's highly likely it'll go back down at some point. The PS mini went to $30 then back up then down to $20.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
ben heck did a teardown and convertered one to handheld. You will likely find some interesting tidbits in the breakdown.

My plan is the following ; Pull the PCB and CP out. I'll then build a semi-custom enclosure where the mini HDMI / USB 2P / USB C Power IN come out the back for hookup.

I'll solder in leads to the underside of the CP on U/D/L/R and Ground chain a wire in. Those will terminate to quick disconnects, and into an actual arcade stick. I'll hit the test pads on A/B/C/D w some solder and toss in some quick disconnects as well to go to four arcade buttons. Same deal w/ start and select.

I'll mount the CP and PCB into the enclosure, and drill holes for the buttons and stick.

If using the pot solder points work (10K put, set high, so as long as the circuit off the stick pushed 10K or more to complete a signal) I'll have the guts of the Mini in an enclosure with a fully working arcade stick setup.

Why? I have no idea. I am bored and it seems fun. I could literally just hook up my AES and play this shit but...one more project can't hurt lol

Basically it will be a 1P "Pandora's Box" style setup w/ the guts inside the stick, except a Neo Geo Mini w/ legit arcade controls.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Received mine today. For $30 it's pretty neat.

neogeomini.jpg

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Mine’s coming this weekend. Gotta love that two week pandemic Prime shipping. :D

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Weird how some people still seem to get items in 2-3days, others in 1-3 weeks.

Yeah mine took like 2 days to arrive. I do have a Prime Business account though so maybe that makes it faster?

Going to open the Mini up today and poke around. Hoping a stick will just “work” on the pot solder joints without having to pull the signal past the potentiometer threshold. Plan is to try to gator clip the joints so not have to start soldering before I know if the plan will work.

Still makes zero sense why they used two pots vs four micro switches. Must have just been cheaper

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Weird how some people still seem to get items in 2-3days, others in 1-3 weeks.

I don’t have Prime and mine is not expected until May 16th. Amazon puts you in the back of the line if you don’t pay for their extra services

Edit: I’m sure some of that is due to the massive amount of orders but even normally anything I buy from amazon takes 7+ days to arrive

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Mod done. Wired in a Sanwa stick and once I got the pinout / grounds correct, had full control of the Mini via a real stick and buttons.

Honestly the HDMI out is poor, so I won't finish the conversion. I de-modded it and put it all back together since it's more charming as a shelf piece than a mod project. I shot how to mod if so anyone else who wants to do the same will be able to no issues. I guess for me with an AES and any number of better HDMI output emulation options, it seemed like a waste of a stick and six buttons

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Would it be possible to take the data regarding the clear HDMI output on the Neogeo Arcade Stick Pro and hack it into where the Neogeo Mini store's it's video out info? The blurry output on the NGM ruins the experience. Happy they kept in a virtual memory card tho. Good touch.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Would it be possible to take the data regarding the clear HDMI output on the Neogeo Arcade Stick Pro and hack it into where the Neogeo Mini store's it's video out info? The blurry output on the NGM ruins the experience. Happy they kept in a virtual memory card tho. Good touch.

Maybe? I'd have to look

Jamming an arcade stick and buttons inline on the Mini CP works fine. Just finished

IMG_1240.JPG

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Sucks the HDMI out on this is garbage. for $30 and parts you could build a pretty fun stick w/ the PCB inside and make your own Neo Geo "Pro" emubox. Honestly the video quality is a deal breaker. Once I saw it I quickly just decided to see if my idea worked, then revert it back to stock and put it on my shelf as a fun little prop

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Sucks the HDMI out on this is garbage. for $30 and parts you could build a pretty fun stick w/ the PCB inside and make your own Neo Geo "Pro" emubox. Honestly the video quality is a deal breaker. Once I saw it I quickly just decided to see if my idea worked, then revert it back to stock and put it on my shelf as a fun little prop

There is a reasonable "Image Quality Optimization" option to turn on that makes the HDMI out go from shit to playable. It is off by default and only appears once HDMI out is in use.

Is it perfect? No far from it. But it does help some.

15887112348005581836408211042992.jpg

Attachments

• 15887110668972894190977224130772.jpg
    15887110668972894190977224130772.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
even w/ it off it looked far worse than any other source I have to play the games. Really I just wanted to see if a stick and button mod could be done. If I had an enclosure I probably would have finished but I don't have anything lying around

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I still say this thing is a total piece of garbage.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I still say this thing is a total piece of garbage.

I think SouthtownKid said something about it looking nice on a desk or something. I think that would be it's only use for me which is one of the reasons I refuse to pay more than 30 bucks for it. I'll wait for another price drop.