Why do you collect?

Raiden328i

Not so MEGA, eh?
I always wanted an AES as a kid but couldn’t afford it. Used to spend my money on cars but after 20 years that’s getting boring and I’d rather be in doors now and I’ve been collecting about a year. I said to my nephew when I die he can have it all but if you sell it all don’t sell it at the price I told your aunt I paid for all this stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Should have been spending your money on homecarts 20 years ago, now is not a great time to collect anything beyond the usual commons.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I always wanted an AES as a kid but couldn’t afford it. Used to spend my money on cars but after 20 years that’s getting boring and I’d rather be in doors now and I’ve been collecting about a year. I said to my nephew when I die he can have it all but if you sell it all don’t sell it at the price I told your aunt I paid for all this stuff

I get that. All the consoles / games I wanted as a kid and didn't have I've collected for

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Should have been spending your money on homecarts 20 years ago, now is not a great time to collect anything beyond the usual commons.

Definitely this.

I bought the majority of my neo stuff as a teenager the minute I had my own apartment and some stable income.

I primarily bought what I had already been playing at arcades or via lesser ports/emulation. That was over 2 decades ago and everything was cheap since the majority of the neo geo library was old news by the early 2000’s. This was especially the case once the kof, last blade, and garou ports started arriving on the dreamcast at the time. The dreamcast ports weren’t perfect but they scratched that itch for most. As for me, I wanted Real Bout 2 and other titles that never saw a home port at all so I went the neo geo home system route.

This was long before SNK released the eventual ps2 import Neo Geo Online collections (neogeo games with the arranged soundtracks but with zero loadtimes!), because had those convenient compilations existed back when I bought my games I might have been more picky.

I never would have thought mvs carts and even neo cd stuff would be anywhere near the prices they are today considering the huge amount of options that are available to those getting into neo geo today.

Raiden328i

Not so MEGA, eh?
In the beginning I bought a CDZ and was collecting for it and got a unibios mod done for it. Then in Nov last year I got offered a job that made me a stupid offer wage wise. So in the end I thought screw it let’s get that AES and invest in games as I have the money now. Even tho I’m furloughed I’m still making more money at this job than I did at the last one.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
In the beginning I bought a CDZ and was collecting for it and got a unibios mod done for it. Then in Nov last year I got offered a job that made me a stupid offer wage wise. So in the end I thought screw it let’s get that AES and invest in games as I have the money now. Even tho I’m furloughed I’m still making more money at this job than I did at the last one.

Nice humblebrag.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Mainly because NG represents quite a big and meaningful piece of my adolescence I would not like to completely forget.

You can call my collections some sort of a totem from my own childhood, I guess. Of course I never ever even dreamed of owing and AES back in times. For me that was soooo out of reach it was not even possible to think about it in any way, for I was quite a pampered child, but a reasonable one, at least.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I don't. I like playing videogames, and the Neo has some good ones. The "collecting" is the worst part of the hobby and I'm glad it's optional these days.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
I collect because it's a hobby attached to the gaming itself. Something else related to curate and do alongside actually playing the games. I like the tactileness of physical games and I'm more willing to try games out that I physically have vs picking something out from a list on a multi or emulator.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
I buy the games I want to play, simple as that. There are other, more nostalgic reasons for my retro game collection - including contributing to the preservation of these artistic relics of the past.

But, at the end of the day, I don't give two shits (maybe even three) about anyone else's viewpoint on why I collect, what I collect, or what anyone else thinks I should be doing with my money.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I agree with everyone here about loving old games, it is my hobby, etc etc. One reason for me not mentioned is the trill of the hunt and everything that goes along with it. I love going to flea markets, thrifts, yard sales, and used media/game stores and always loved finding something neat. Plus going different places and meeting new people has always been just as fun to me as playing old games. Unfortunatly it is pretty much impossible to find old games anymore so I do mostly looking now days if I go.

The worst part of collecting is how much space everything takes up once you own a lot of stuff. I’m thankfully for flash carts and ODE’s so I’m working on letting so things go and just keeping my favorites.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I agree with everyone here about loving old games, it is my hobby, etc etc. One reason for me not mentioned is the trill of the hunt and everything that goes along with it. I love going to flea markets, thrifts, yard sales, and used media/game stores and always loved finding something neat. Plus going different places and meeting new people has always been just as fun to me as playing old games. Unfortunatly it is pretty much impossible to find old games anymore so I do mostly looking now days if I go.

This, more or less. The days of finding Little Samson and MUSHA are over. Nowadays, it's more on finding stuff I can use: controllers, sticks, cables, etc. Fresh air and a little exercise are good, too.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Reason #1
I collect to play the games. Ya I could play ports and emulated versions sometimes (and I do often) but when you play on real hardware you get a nostalgia that you can't with emulation. Especially when I invite some buddies over and we share that experience together. I will never get the same entertainment from playing on a console or PC than I can from playing on a real Arcade cabinet with a friend.

Reason #2
I am a hardware nut. I really enjoy tinkering and fixing this old hardware. One reason I got into the AES in the first place was because I appreciate the hardware end of the hobby. And yes..When I pick up and use a Homecart Neo game I am honestly impressed that they even made those things for retail. When working on fixing something it gives me a reason to reach out and talk to people with the same hobby (and probably greater knowledge) that I have.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
because im better than everyone else. why else do people collect?
sheesh....

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The worst part of collecting is how much space everything takes up once you own a lot of stuff. I’m thankfully for flash carts and ODE’s so I’m working on letting so things go and just keeping my favorites.

That's still nothing compared to space problems comic book collectors have: HC editions are devil's work.