MEGA CD model 1 won't motoring!!

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Hi everyone
After a couple of months I desided to play on my Mega CD 1 but figured out that it had died on me...
Unit powers on and the tray opens. There is the menu as normal and hitting start on the controller will close the tray. I don't hear any gear noise when open and close, movement is smooth.

That's all of it. I put the CD but the motor will not spin and the laser will not become red, eventually it' won't read. Disk stays there still.

I opened it up to the point where I could see that the motor will not start.

Any help will be much appreciated.
Thank you and be safe

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
CD lasers are infrared, you can't see it when the laser turns on. You could try using a smartphone camera, that can pick up infrared usually.

Also, CD drives don't usually bother spinning the disc if the laser is really dead and can't detect a disc. You may need a new laser.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
CD lasers are infrared, you can't see it when the laser turns on. You could try using a smartphone camera, that can pick up infrared usually.

Also, CD drives don't usually bother spinning the disc if the laser is really dead and can't detect a disc. You may need a new laser.
Thanks
This is a JVC it has on it.
Do they still sell those?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Potentially the motor died. But my guess is you need a new laser mech

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
Is the JVC one the Optima 5? Here's an amazon link
https://www.amazon.com/OPTIMA-5-Pickup-Optical-Mechanism-Replacement/dp/B07X5LXX6Q
EDIT: Here's a great general repair thread for Sega CD based consoles
https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?22027-Sega-CD-systems-repair-thread
Thanks for the link. But if I decide not to try to repair this unreliable junk. What would be a fair price to sell as broken?

I have a Jpn model 2 and planning to make it region free asap.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Those aftermarket cd laser mechs aren't exactly as reliable as the original ones. You also might get one that's doa. I learned this when I replaced a laser on my ps2 slim. Took 2 returns to finally get one that worked.