Anyone Building Nice Arcade Quality Joysticks for AES/MVS?

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I can't stand playing Neo on sticks more than 4 buttons. Need a dedicated stick for the Neo.

I also like to play SF with 6 button sticks only. You could get away with 8 button sticks but prefer 6 buttons only.

Yep, agree 100%

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Why don't you just use the stock neo old style stick?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

Filthy plebian!

Real talk though, those SF4 SE sticks make great shells. Populate the top row with Sanwa or seimitsu, put plugs in the bottom, add a good stick and solder in the DB15 cable and it makes a cheap, fantastic stick. The arc of the buttons on the top row is perfect for Neo Geo games.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Filthy plebian!

Real talk though, those SF4 SE sticks make great shells. Populate the top row with Sanwa or seimitsu, put plugs in the bottom, add a good stick and solder in the DB15 cable and it makes a cheap, fantastic stick. The arc of the buttons on the top row is perfect for Neo Geo games.

That's what I said. They really are a good (and cheap) starting point.

8man

Administrator
Hey Dangerous,

I made this custom 40" Joystick Arcade top a few years ago (for my personal collection).
Solid Wood (stained), Custom Designed Graphic (high-res print), Plexiglass top with holes drilled for the buttons/joysticks.

The top is powered and hinged. It completely opens up, so it's a true storage top. It's tall enough inside to fit an Atomiswave, Mini consoles, Raspberry pi, audio/video cables to your TV/Projector, or just run the joystick cables to your external system. It's rigged with power, Audio/Video and DB15/USB cables.

I'm upgrading it soon with Seimitsu buttons/LEDs.
When we play in the Theater/Game Room the lights are dim and it definitely needs lit buttons!!

If I get enough interest, I could build some custom tops.

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 148

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member

I have never liked them even back in the day when I had my first NeoGeo early 90’s I and a couple of my friends chucked the sticks and made our own just using the cable that we stripped from the stick.

Didn’t realise at the time that I probably could of just got the cable from somewhere, this was preinternet and knowledge was harder back then.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Filthy plebian!

I'm going to convert mine to a 7-button stick for one of my superguns. Neo style top row, SF kicks on bottom three (button 4 twice).

JoeAwesome

I’ve met the guy at a local con, and seen his sticks in person. All nice, but no experience with the wares.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Rick, what kind of sticks and buttons are on those things? How much did they cost?

Their etsy store seems to be down.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Man I gotta get in on the stick selling game

Wiring up six buttons and a stick is quick lol

JoeAwesome

Man I gotta get in on the stick selling game

Wiring up six buttons and a stick is quick lol

If what the guy told me is true, you don’t want to. Lots of demanding customers and thin margins.

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective
They were $200 a pop, which is a lot, i traded him two Dreamcast games to knock off $150 which helped.

I think i just emailed him, either through his Etsy store, and then offline after that.

So far so good, they feel really nice, and look great!

EDIT: Here is his email: sean.retrostockpile@gmail.com

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
So one-off personal projects aside....does anyone know of anyone making and selling Neo Geo sticks using arcade quality components that are available for sale? And if so where? TYTY :)

You should PM ecksNine.

Baring that, do you have any PS3/4 sticks?

Brook makes a converter, that is the jam.
IMG_7831.jpg

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
You should PM ecksNine.

Baring that, do you have any PS3/4 sticks?

Brook makes a converter, that is the jam.
View attachment 56545

Ecksnine still around? I haven't heard that name in awhile. Last I heard from him was a few years ago when he cut his hand or something building a stick. Owned one of his sticks and it was really nice.

The Brook converters are very good.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
20200514_212328_30_1_50.jpg

20200514_212449_14.jpg

Retrostockpile is really the best option. His sticks are high quality.

Last edited: