Anyone Building Nice Arcade Quality Joysticks for AES/MVS?

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective
There was a shop on Etsy that was selling these until recently but they were made from MDF and a friend said i should look for something more solid.

Anyone know of any builders/sellers of joysticks for AES/MVS made with arcade quality components?

I have one "pro" controller currently and would really like two beefy joysticks so me and a friend can play and get that real arcade feel.

Thanks in advance!

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
To clarify, are you look for just the joystick itself as a part, or a full joystick console?

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Why not get a high quality commercial stick? Many come with real arcade parts - or you can swap out parts if you like.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
You can do it yourself if you have the time :)

It's a fun project if you have the tools

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective
Full joystick, stick, buttons, box, wiring, and cable to plug it into my Omega :D

Recommendation from a friend and modder who makes a lot of cool stuff: "I'm not making any arcade sticks at the moment, however, I highly recommend getting something with a Seimitsu LS-40 stick, they are phenomenal feeling joysticks and it's what I'll be using for a personal build when I have time for it."

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
This was my build material list for that stick above. I was very happy with everything. I enjoy finding weird enclosures though like vintage solid wood cigar boxes

1 X SANWA JLF-TP-8YT JOYSTICK
$28.15
1 X TIGHT DIAMOND MESH BALLTOP BLACK
$9.95
3 X SEIMITSU PS-14-GN-C SCREWBUTTON WHITE
$10.35
3 X SEIMITSU PS-14-GN-C SCREWBUTTON BLACK
$10.35
2 X SEIMITSU PS-14-DN-C 24MM SCREWBUTTON BLACK

stick.JPG

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Yeah, the cigar box makes this looks more gorgeous than most handcrafted setups! Jealous of both the joystick and not having thought about it before.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
it can be hard to find a "nice" box, but if you look around you can find them. I oiled it with some beeswax wood paste after it was done then buffed it out with a rag. Plus the fact it opens, as it used to store cigars, means getting to the wiring if you need to is dumb easy

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective
So one-off personal projects aside....does anyone know of anyone making and selling Neo Geo sticks using arcade quality components that are available for sale? And if so where? TYTY :)

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
So one-off personal projects aside....does anyone know of anyone making and selling Neo Geo sticks using arcade quality components that are available for sale? And if so where? TYTY :)

wait you are in Burlington? I grew up in Killington

Off the top of my head no, I don't know of any manufacturers making 4 button AES/MVS sticks with a DB15 connection. I know some people are doing metal enclosures and they have 4 button cutouts. You may have to find the enclosure and build the stick itself wiring wise. But this is DUMB easy. Especially if you use field termination DB15 ports vs solder cup sockets (I like field termination anyway as its a reusable part with tons of possibilities)

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
so this dude sold this stick recently on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Neo-Geo-AE...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
says he got it from a place called retro stockpile. theyve got a small ebay store, and an etsy. id try contacting them and seeing if theyll make you a stick.

Really, I'd say just get a hori fighting stick neo II.
they're the best stick I've used on neo, although I tend to use a jelly bean for anything that isn't a fighting game.

nmsc

n00b
I was in the same boat as you. I couldn't find a replacement, nor have the tools to make one, so I'm refurbishing my old ones . On another thread there is a semitsu that apparently works perfect drop in for old sticks. I bought 2 for $40 on ebay

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective
so this dude sold this stick recently on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Neo-Geo-AE...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
says he got it from a place called retro stockpile. theyve got a small ebay store, and an etsy. id try contacting them and seeing if theyll make you a stick.

Really, I'd say just get a hori fighting stick neo II.
they're the best stick I've used on neo, although I tend to use a jelly bean for anything that isn't a fighting game.

Great post; thank you! I really like the Hori Neo II, but looks like a lot of them are in need of a full restoration at this point. Maybe something to get into down the road.

Retro Stockpile is what i was trying to find again! His shop on Etsy is empty but i reached out to see if he is making any more sticks this year. Even though my friend scoffed at the MDF material, what else would you make these from really? Yes wood is always nice but not easy to find. I'll take a pair of these as they look pretty great, and look to be the right size too for that arcade feel. Thanks again!

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Honestly all you have to do it take an old high quality stick that originally worked on PS3 or Xbox 360 and just wire up a cable to it. I do that for friends all the time that want a modern stick to play Neo games with.

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Honestly all you have to do it take an old high quality stick that originally worked on PS3 or Xbox 360 and just wire up a cable to it. I do that for friends all the time that wand a modern stick to play Neo games with.

Yeah I mean hell if you want to send me a stick and the parts I'll do the wiring / conversion for free if you let me shoot a YT video about it

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective
Yeah I mean hell if you want to send me a stick and the parts I'll do the wiring / conversion for free if you let me shoot a YT video about it

I might have to take you up on that! Where can i get the wiring? Anyone have a good PS3/360 stick to recommend? Thanks!

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Anyone read this topic title at first as Building a Nick Arcade St...

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Anyone have a good PS3/360 stick to recommend? Thanks!

The Madcatz Fightstick Pro is a great one for a conversion. I have mine working for both 360 and Neo. The stock parts it comes with are still great. The SFIV theme sticks you can still find for cheap (30-40 on a good day) you may want to upgrade the buttons and stick though, but they are simple drop in replacements.MadCatz_Fightstick_Pro_Xbox_360.jpg
file_42929_fight-stick-small.jpg

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I might have to take you up on that! Where can i get the wiring? Anyone have a good PS3/360 stick to recommend? Thanks!

Ive got all the wiring and connectors sitting in my drawer. Literally toss me a 5 spot for a beer to cover the copper lol

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
My go to Neo stick is an old US style MAS stick. Too bad these guys are no longer around, they made some quality stuff.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I can't stand playing Neo on sticks more than 4 buttons. Need a dedicated stick for the Neo.

I also like to play SF with 6 button sticks only. You could get away with 8 button sticks but prefer 6 buttons only.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
My go to Neo stick is an old US style MAS stick. Too bad these guys are no longer around, they made some quality stuff.

That's a good stick. I sold mine years ago. They're built like tanks. I prefer playing with Japanese sticks and buttons but something special about playing with Happ controls.

NexusX

Astra Superstar
I can't stand playing Neo on sticks more than 4 buttons. Need a dedicated stick for the Neo.

I agree. I usually just wire up the 4 and convert the stick fully to Neo. Pop in a few blanks and they can make great 4 button only sticks.

Rick Dangerous

Quiz Detective
Ive got all the wiring and connectors sitting in my drawer. Literally toss me a 5 spot for a beer to cover the copper lol

Awesome, thanks! Will start looking for a stick on fleabay and will PM you tomorrow. Again much appreciated.