Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Neo Geo AES box protectors are the best these days?

NEST Puppet

Which Neo Geo AES box protectors are the best these days?

Iíve always held off on getting AES box protectors but now I want to try them out. Which are the best ones to buy?

From what Iíve seen online there are different thicknesses and different overall designs. Thanks guys
    WTB English AES games (viewpoint, ghost pilots DT, Aero fighters 2, last resort) and a memory card

Crossed Swords Squire

The ones you can get on eBay aren’t bad. They aren’t really sturdy and don’t block UV light. It’s really just good as a dust cover and maybe to protect against indenting on the snaplock AES cases. The price is right though, and I need to order a few myself. The best protector/case made for AES games would be the Kaiser cases, but the website domain is sadly expired and I’m not sure if they’re being produced anymore. I’ve got one of them, and it’s awesome. Thick custom 99.9% UV blocking acrylic as well as a silica gel pouch for absorbing moisture inside of the case. They were really expensive though, $100 after shipping per case. They were made in and shipped from Japan. If you just want dust protection and to avoid minor shelf wear go with the eBay protectors. They’ll do the job for that.
    IíLL RETURN YET TO SUCK SOUL

drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.

The fear is real.

Crossed Swords Squire

Quote Originally Posted by lachlan View Post
    The fear is real.
    When we run out of TP we’re gonna be wiping our cracks with AES inserts, so we better protect our precious stock.

NEST Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Digmac View Post
    The ones you can get on eBay aren’t bad. They aren’t really sturdy and don’t block UV light. It’s really just good as a dust cover and maybe to protect against indenting on the snaplock AES cases. The price is right though, and I need to order a few myself. The best protector/case made for AES games would be the Kaiser cases, but the website domain is sadly expired and I’m not sure if they’re being produced anymore. I’ve got one of them, and it’s awesome. Thick custom 99.9% UV blocking acrylic as well as a silica gel pouch for absorbing moisture inside of the case. They were really expensive though, $100 after shipping per case. They were made in and shipped from Japan. If you just want dust protection and to avoid minor shelf wear go with the eBay protectors. They’ll do the job for that.
    Wow those kaiser cases seem perfect. I messaged the company via Facebook and they said they where taking pre orders at 7000 yen a piece. It’s a lot of money for cases since I have 12 AES games.. I might pull the trigger I need to sleep on it.
    WTB English AES games (viewpoint, ghost pilots DT, Aero fighters 2, last resort) and a memory card

Cheng's Errand Boy

$100 each seems kinda nuts for that. I know it's kinda specialized and low volume, but that strikes me as a pretty extreme price. I work with a lot of acrylic and I could definitely come in under that. Now with double the desiccant seasoning!

Crossed Swords Squire

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Meat View Post
    $100 each seems kinda nuts for that. I know it's kinda specialized and low volume, but that strikes me as a pretty extreme price. I work with a lot of acrylic and I could definitely come in under that. Now with double the desiccant seasoning!
    They aren’t technically $100 each, but they’re made and shipped from Japan like I said, so it added $30 in shipping costs to the price for EMS service to the US. If you could make one similar that would block UV light, and come in under $80, I’d be down to buy some for sure.

drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.

Blocking UV light? Are you likely to store your games by a sun facing window? These boxes are laughable and at $70 a piece ahaha they're taking you for a fucking ride.

Cheng's Errand Boy

They aren’t technically $100 each, but they’re made and shipped from Japan like I said, so it added $30 in shipping costs to the price for EMS service to the US. If you could make one similar that would block UV light, and come in under $80, I’d be down to buy some for sure.
    Honestly, I think the better, cheaper, and significantly less complicated solution is a UV protected door to an otherwise opaque a cabinet or something. It seems like a giant pain in the ass if you ever want to play a game to get it out of those individual acrylic cases. It's already enough of a pain with the regular box protectors.

Crossed Swords Squire

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Meat View Post
    Honestly, I think the better, cheaper, and significantly less complicated solution is a UV protected door to an otherwise opaque a cabinet or something. It seems like a giant pain in the ass if you ever want to play a game to get it out of those individual acrylic cases. It's already enough of a pain with the regular box protectors.
    I would agree with you on this. Right now my games are just out on a shelf, and the room they’re stored in gets a fair amount of sunlight coming in. Having an acrylic UV blocking door on a cabinet would be a solid solution. I know one collector who put normal window blinds on his cabinet to protect his AES games haha. Whatever works.

Shigen's Fitness Trainer

Y’all realize that a standard single pane of glass blocks UV light right? Ever wondered why your transition lenses never work inside the house?

The amount of fuckery in this thread.

Crossed Swords Squire

Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    Y’all realize that a standard single pane of glass blocks UV light right? Ever wondered why your transition lenses never work inside the house?

The amount of fuckery in this thread.
    Standard glass blocks UV-B rays, not UV-A. Why would games left in a shop window get faded over time if normal glass blocked all UV light?

NEST Puppet

Blocking UV light? Are you likely to store your games by a sun facing window? These boxes are laughable and at $70 a piece ahaha they're taking you for a fucking ride.
    I agree the price is very high for what you get. Right now I have my Neo geo aes games on top of my game shelf. I may be building a new display case that would include them in a more secure place.

My girlfriend has a cat who comes over to my house now and then. The little guy jumped up and knocked off nam 1975.. luckily it was not a more expensive game that took the fall and that’s why I’ve been looking into protective cases. However what I really need is a new place to store them.

Which eBay plastic cases do you guys have good luck with?
    Last edited by MetalSlugVet; 04-22-2020 at 05:11 PM.

drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.

Standard glass blocks UV-B rays, not UV-A. Why would games left in a shop window get faded over time if normal glass blocked all UV light?
    Then don't store them direct sunlight? Ambient light won't fade ink.

Shigen's Fitness Trainer

Who knows, maybe they sat outside, maybe the shop windows weren't glass but some other material, maybe it was related to the fluorescent lights in the shop.

How do you know the $100 plastic case you bought is anything but ordinary clear plastic?

How do you explain the many years that Neo games sat on collector shelves without protection and never faded?

find out on the next episode of Collectard Z!

On a serious note, I'm not trying to be dick. But i think you're going a little far if your spending $100 on a single case protector. At that point why not just buy reprint inserts and store the originals away in a dark temperature controlled room?
    Last edited by Niko; 04-22-2020 at 10:01 PM.

Rugal's Panther

Why are you guys opening up your fucking blinds anyways? Keep that fucking sun out of your place. I like my place as dark as a 60s Tiki bar.

The island of shielas, wogs and poofters.

I say good on them, the people who buy them are fucking stupid and deserve to be separated from their cash.
    Quote Originally Posted by greedostick View Post
    This place is a pool of toxic garbage. A bunch of old, grumpy, hateful, negative, hater assholes that don't even play Neo Geo.

Normally I would say store them in a cabinet with a tinted glass door, but then you just have to go to the trouble of finding an acrylic case large enough to protect the cabinet.

drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.

Quote Originally Posted by skunk_ape View Post
    Normally I would say store them in a cabinet with a tinted glass door, but then you just have to go to the trouble of finding an acrylic case large enough to protect the cabinet.
    My god! no one has even thought of that before!! Can you get an acrylic case for your house too!? UV LIGHT!!!

Timid Neo Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    Wearing transitions lenses is a reliable indicator of paedophilia.

Shigen's Fitness Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by dzhay View Post
    Wearing transitions lenses is a reliable indicator of paedophilia.
    This guy gets it!

Galford's Armourer

Retro Protection has a ton of different cases including for the AES. They are around $3.00 a piece and pretty sturdy. I have them and have zero complaints.

https://retroprotection.com/
    Looking to buy complete very good and excellent condition genuine/authentic AES games of the titles listed below. If anyone is selling them please send me a PM.
    No NGF markings, Game-dude void stickers or Sun-fade please. I want clean carts but insertion marks are ok.
    NONE at this moment.

Camel Slug

Quote Originally Posted by Waverider2049 View Post
    Retro Protection has a ton of different cases including for the AES. They are around $3.00 a piece and pretty sturdy. I have them and have zero complaints.

https://retroprotection.com/
    Those things suck. Really easy to snag the bottom plastic on a snap lock or soft case and crease your shit. Kaiser sucks as well. Shit design and the bottom tray snags easy and pops out, or dumps the silica bags when you try to take out a game. I'm working with a scientist to get better cases created.

Till then, I store my AES games in a zip lock bag filled with rice. The rice absorbs the UV rays and is a great source for vitamin D.
    http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/1130/blastcitylogo.jpg

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
    Remember: if you have sex in the crushing poverty of third world India, do not use any form of contraception!

Quote Originally Posted by redfield0009 View Post
    Till then, I store my AES games in a zip lock bag filled with rice. The rice absorbs the UV rays and is a great source for vitamin D.

Friend me on Facebook!
    I pre-buried my AES games in my grave.

Thread Information