Which Neo Geo AES box protectors are the best these days?

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I’ve always held off on getting AES box protectors but now I want to try them out. Which are the best ones to buy?

From what I’ve seen online there are different thicknesses and different overall designs. Thanks guys

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
The ones you can get on eBay aren’t bad. They aren’t really sturdy and don’t block UV light. It’s really just good as a dust cover and maybe to protect against indenting on the snaplock AES cases. The price is right though, and I need to order a few myself. The best protector/case made for AES games would be the Kaiser cases, but the website domain is sadly expired and I’m not sure if they’re being produced anymore. I’ve got one of them, and it’s awesome. Thick custom 99.9% UV blocking acrylic as well as a silica gel pouch for absorbing moisture inside of the case. They were really expensive though, $100 after shipping per case. They were made in and shipped from Japan. If you just want dust protection and to avoid minor shelf wear go with the eBay protectors. They’ll do the job for that.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
The ones you can get on eBay aren’t bad. They aren’t really sturdy and don’t block UV light. It’s really just good as a dust cover and maybe to protect against indenting on the snaplock AES cases. The price is right though, and I need to order a few myself. The best protector/case made for AES games would be the Kaiser cases, but the website domain is sadly expired and I’m not sure if they’re being produced anymore. I’ve got one of them, and it’s awesome. Thick custom 99.9% UV blocking acrylic as well as a silica gel pouch for absorbing moisture inside of the case. They were really expensive though, $100 after shipping per case. They were made in and shipped from Japan. If you just want dust protection and to avoid minor shelf wear go with the eBay protectors. They’ll do the job for that.

Wow those kaiser cases seem perfect. I messaged the company via Facebook and they said they where taking pre orders at 7000 yen a piece. It’s a lot of money for cases since I have 12 AES games.. I might pull the trigger I need to sleep on it.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member

$100 each seems kinda nuts for that. I know it's kinda specialized and low volume, but that strikes me as a pretty extreme price. I work with a lot of acrylic and I could definitely come in under that. Now with double the desiccant seasoning!

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
$100 each seems kinda nuts for that. I know it's kinda specialized and low volume, but that strikes me as a pretty extreme price. I work with a lot of acrylic and I could definitely come in under that. Now with double the desiccant seasoning!

They aren’t technically $100 each, but they’re made and shipped from Japan like I said, so it added $30 in shipping costs to the price for EMS service to the US. If you could make one similar that would block UV light, and come in under $80, I’d be down to buy some for sure.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Blocking UV light? Are you likely to store your games by a sun facing window? These boxes are laughable and at $70 a piece ahaha they're taking you for a fucking ride.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
They aren’t technically $100 each, but they’re made and shipped from Japan like I said, so it added $30 in shipping costs to the price for EMS service to the US. If you could make one similar that would block UV light, and come in under $80, I’d be down to buy some for sure.

Honestly, I think the better, cheaper, and significantly less complicated solution is a UV protected door to an otherwise opaque a cabinet or something. It seems like a giant pain in the ass if you ever want to play a game to get it out of those individual acrylic cases. It's already enough of a pain with the regular box protectors.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Honestly, I think the better, cheaper, and significantly less complicated solution is a UV protected door to an otherwise opaque a cabinet or something. It seems like a giant pain in the ass if you ever want to play a game to get it out of those individual acrylic cases. It's already enough of a pain with the regular box protectors.

I would agree with you on this. Right now my games are just out on a shelf, and the room they’re stored in gets a fair amount of sunlight coming in. Having an acrylic UV blocking door on a cabinet would be a solid solution. I know one collector who put normal window blinds on his cabinet to protect his AES games haha. Whatever works.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Y’all realize that a standard single pane of glass blocks UV light right? Ever wondered why your transition lenses never work inside the house?

The amount of fuckery in this thread.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Y’all realize that a standard single pane of glass blocks UV light right? Ever wondered why your transition lenses never work inside the house?

The amount of fuckery in this thread.
Standard glass blocks UV-B rays, not UV-A. Why would games left in a shop window get faded over time if normal glass blocked all UV light?

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Blocking UV light? Are you likely to store your games by a sun facing window? These boxes are laughable and at $70 a piece ahaha they're taking you for a fucking ride.

I agree the price is very high for what you get. Right now I have my Neo geo aes games on top of my game shelf. I may be building a new display case that would include them in a more secure place.

My girlfriend has a cat who comes over to my house now and then. The little guy jumped up and knocked off nam 1975.. luckily it was not a more expensive game that took the fall and that’s why I’ve been looking into protective cases. However what I really need is a new place to store them.

Which eBay plastic cases do you guys have good luck with?

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Standard glass blocks UV-B rays, not UV-A. Why would games left in a shop window get faded over time if normal glass blocked all UV light?

Then don't store them direct sunlight? Ambient light won't fade ink.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate

Who knows, maybe they sat outside, maybe the shop windows weren't glass but some other material, maybe it was related to the fluorescent lights in the shop.

How do you know the $100 plastic case you bought is anything but ordinary clear plastic?

How do you explain the many years that Neo games sat on collector shelves without protection and never faded?

find out on the next episode of Collectard Z!

On a serious note, I'm not trying to be dick. But i think you're going a little far if your spending $100 on a single case protector. At that point why not just buy reprint inserts and store the originals away in a dark temperature controlled room?

Last edited:

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Why are you guys opening up your fucking blinds anyways? Keep that fucking sun out of your place. I like my place as dark as a 60s Tiki bar.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member

I say good on them, the people who buy them are fucking stupid and deserve to be separated from their cash.

skunk_ape

n00b
Normally I would say store them in a cabinet with a tinted glass door, but then you just have to go to the trouble of finding an acrylic case large enough to protect the cabinet.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Normally I would say store them in a cabinet with a tinted glass door, but then you just have to go to the trouble of finding an acrylic case large enough to protect the cabinet.

My god! no one has even thought of that before!! Can you get an acrylic case for your house too!? UV LIGHT!!!

giphy.gif

dzhay

n00b

Wearing transitions lenses is a reliable indicator of paedophilia.

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire
Retro Protection has a ton of different cases including for the AES. They are around $3.00 a piece and pretty sturdy. I have them and have zero complaints.

https://retroprotection.com/

Those things suck. Really easy to snag the bottom plastic on a snap lock or soft case and crease your shit. Kaiser sucks as well. Shit design and the bottom tray snags easy and pops out, or dumps the silica bags when you try to take out a game. I'm working with a scientist to get better cases created.

Till then, I store my AES games in a zip lock bag filled with rice. The rice absorbs the UV rays and is a great source for vitamin D.