This new Sega thing on April 17th (Terraonion Direct 2020)

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Gaiz, I legitimately own the vast majority of Saturn games that I want to put on an SSD. But I'm not jumping through hoops to rip them to a format that works with this. Are the ROM files easy to source?

I was pretty pumped to see this thing announced. I had a pretty bad experience trying to get a real GDEMU, so as soon as I saw this thing drop I finally bought a Saturn and pre-ordered one. Along with ordering a MegaSD that I'd been considering for a while. I could not be more excited for this having owned 3 Saturn's in my lifetime for all of about a week as every single one had a defective disk drive and wouldn't play games at all.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Anybody get/install their MODEs yet? Mine came in earlier this week. I installed it in my Saturn, and it's truly awesome. Thinking about getting one for my DC too.

Anybody mess with any of the advanced installation options?

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
Anybody get/install their MODEs yet? Mine came in earlier this week. I installed it in my Saturn, and it's truly awesome. Thinking about getting one for my DC too.

Anybody mess with any of the advanced installation options?

For any of those capcom fighters you would still need either one of those 4+1 carts or a ram cart right?

Ajax

15 Year Member
Yes, I believe so. I don’t think the MODE has any kind of RAM component onboard. I do understand that it makes your console region free though, which is great.

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
Yes, I believe so. I don’t think the MODE has any kind of RAM component onboard. I do understand that it makes your console region free though, which is great.

Got it thanks. I have a saturn that has an iffy cart slot. I need to see if I can fix that.

tangemo

New Challenger
I got mine and have tried it out in Dreamcast. Super easy install and I've been happy with it. The only advantage I can see over GDEMU is that the folder and naming structure is simpler (and the ability to use HDD or SSD but I've been using SD Card). Been using GDI format games and everything's been working great. Haven't tried any advanced options or the cover art menu.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
I have a dreamcast with a dead laser that i got for free about a year and a half ago, i think i might just invest in a mode, especially since i don't own a single dreamcast game.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I was pretty pumped to see this thing announced. I had a pretty bad experience trying to get a real GDEMU, so as soon as I saw this thing drop I finally bought a Saturn and pre-ordered one. Along with ordering a MegaSD that I'd been considering for a while. I could not be more excited for this having owned 3 Saturn's in my lifetime for all of about a week as every single one had a defective disk drive and wouldn't play games at all.

You can get the gdemu Chinese knockoffs from AliExpress as low as $20 shipped

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Do those work well?

I bought one of the clones off ebay a year ago and I've never had any issues with it at all. Just finished a 60 hour playthrough of Tokyo Extreme Racer. Highly recommended, for the price it's a no brainer.

Last edited:

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
I bought one of the clones off ebay a year ago and I've never had any issues with it at all. Just finished a 60 hour playthrough of Tokyo Extreme Racer. Highly recommended, for the price it's a no brainer.

TXR rules. I love that series. Props for putting in the time to clear it all the way.

LonelyWarbler

Crazed MVS Addict
Do those work well?

Yup. GDEmu clones work basically the same as GDEmu except that you cant update the firmware on clones. The GDEmu is fine but it’s annoying for a few reasons. SD card support is hit or miss. Disks above 32GB are not officially supported (but can be made to work). The menu takes over a minute to load once you have 30+ games and you dont have as many options for organising your games.

It really comes down to whether you want to buy legit or not. Legit there is no question. Mode is worth picking up. Doubly so if you also have saturn. If you have disks already or dont care about buying bootlegs a clone is totally OK. You can use the money you save to put a DCHDMI and new PSU supply in for the best DC experience.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Cool. Of the 3 platforms this thing works on, I think PSX needs an ODE solution the most given how flaky the lasers are. I wonder if they’ll be able to make it so these can fit in a psone or if they’ll only fit in original PSX.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I’m pretty excited for this. Hopefully the installation won’t be too hard.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
for those of you who got one, which SSD are you using? I have 2 on preorder and was thinking of snagging some SSDs either on black friday or beforehand.

Ajax

15 Year Member
I got this guy: Crucial BX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5-Inch Internal SSD

For full disclosure though, I realized after downloading all ~1TB worth of Saturn games that there are well under 128GB of games that I would ever actually play, so I ended up using the SSD in a PC build. :emb:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I got this guy: Crucial BX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5-Inch Internal SSD

For full disclosure though, I realized after downloading all ~1TB worth of Saturn games that there are well under 128GB of games that I would ever actually play, so I ended up using the SSD in a PC build. :emb:
Awesome, thanks. I'm definitely not loading the whole collection on it, just the games that I'm interested in. Two 120gb SSDs should do the trick

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
So how easy will this terraonion thing be to install? I have a XStation incoming so I'm not sure if I need one.