Japan Post to stop shipping to anywhere but US, France and UK

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I inquired with a Japanese seller about an Apple Pippin, EMS to the US. They didn't want to attempt it as they'd heard about major delays / returned packages. So I think even EMS may be slow these days

At this point it's Fedex or DHL until further notice. Even DHL took 10 days to get to me.

Bratwurst

Rugal's Thug
Friend of mine (in the US) mentioned three packages from two different Japanese vendors that he ordered recently are being sent back to Japan. J4U told him that they're getting 120 packages or so getting sent back, so DHL is gonna be the way to go for the time being, unless that collapses too.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
DHL or any courier running their own distro centres and aircraft are unlikely to topple. But airmail, EMS etc all hitch rides on freight/commercial airlines and that shit has dropped off the face of the earth sadly.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
DHL or any courier running their own distro centres and aircraft are unlikely to topple. But airmail, EMS etc all hitch rides on freight/commercial airlines and that shit has dropped off the face of the earth sadly.

I ordered a copy of Super Sidekicks 2 twelve days ago and it's still sitting in Japan. There are other things I'd like to order from Japan, but for now I'm not taking that chance.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
$25 shipping is outrageous huh? Tell me how much would you be spending overall? probably a lot more than $25 right?

It depends, I only do auctions. So a $25 base with +2-5 per on top can add up quick. Even if I were to get say, 15 $1-3 items, look at that shipping price. Currently only active in two, if I win it would be $2+$27 shipping. $30 for two items is a lot different than $10 for 2 items 90 days ago. The effect the price change has on me is that I am a lot more selective on what I would bid on.

Anyways, I didn't post about it here to complain about the shipping price changes, just to make other aware of what I was seeing.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I ordered a copy of Super Sidekicks 2 twelve days ago and it's still sitting in Japan. There are other things I'd like to order from Japan, but for now I'm not taking that chance.

Exactly why I haven’t ordered a pc-fx or Pippin from Japan currently

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I have a parcel arriving to me via DHL that was shipped yesterday. I paid 35 USD for EMS Japan Post but my seller found out about the troubles and went with DHL.
I'll report back when I am in receipt of that parcel.
I'm prolly looking to get one more item from JPN and then hold off for awhile.
BB

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
One Package from Spain shipped PO was lost (25 Days) and seller resent Zeleris/DHL and it got here in 5 days. Another one from Japan was shipped PO (26 Days) and was sent back to the seller. Seller just refunded me. I think USPS is only really giving a shit about there more expensive services.

If shipping PO I wouldn't do anything but Priority International or EMS. I would avoid PO altogether for International and just go with Fedex, DHL, or UPS if that's a option.

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
My parcel from DHL arrived today. It took about a day and a half to be processed and travel from TOKYO to their Cincinatti hub.Then there was a pause at their hub for about a day or so then it made it's way to me...so I would state that DHL is on the ball at this time if you plan to use their services via EMS.
BB

I have a parcel arriving to me via DHL that was shipped yesterday. I paid 35 USD for EMS Japan Post but my seller found out about the troubles and went with DHL.
I'll report back when I am in receipt of that parcel.
I'm prolly looking to get one more item from JPN and then hold off for awhile.
BB

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
We'll see, I ordered one Saturn game yesterday from Japan for $1! and $22 shipping :\ hopefully it will arrive some time this year.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
My parcel from DHL arrived today. It took about a day and a half to be processed and travel from TOKYO to their Cincinatti hub.Then there was a pause at their hub for about a day or so then it made it's way to me...so I would state that DHL is on the ball at this time if you plan to use their services via EMS.
BB

I don't know why the Japanese sellers I've talked to resist DHL. Asked two about a PC-FX shipped DHL, and they said they'd only use Japan Post EMS

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I have packages in limbo currently. EMS is down, no Japan Post to the USA until further notice.

Use DHL you say?

Not for me.

1) DHL doesn’t deliver to P.O. Boxes. I won’t have things shipped to my home addy, re: porch pirates

2) DHL wants ¥22000 for a package that would be ¥9800 sent EMS.

Funk paying more than double, even *if* home delivery were an option for me.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Personally i'd only deal with the US cause everyone else fucking sucks.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I received my item from Japan via DHL. It did actually take about a week. When I posted on the 29th it shipped, this is wrong because the seller had to wait until I gave a phone number. I guess shipping from Japan to US via DHL requires a phone number, similar to shipping from US to China. The tracking number shows it was picked up by DHL in Osaka on May 7, so it was 4 days shipping, way faster than EMS lol.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
So, if a package was sent to me via Japan Post three days before April 24th, can I expect to receive it?

The tracking number doesn't tell me anything.

Last edited:

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Who knows? I've got two packages in the customs queue from mid-April that haven't budged.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
So, if a package was sent to me via Japan Post three days before April 24th, can I expect to receive it?

The tracking number doesn't tell me anything.

One of my packages from April 14 is sitting in a Japan Post warehouse. Two of them made it out.

If your stuff didn’t make it onto one of the last commercial jets to leave out of Japan, your stuck until they lift their State of Emergency restrictions.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
If you want something from Japan,DHL will take the business.Why seller's refuse to use'em is beyond my comprehension especially if the buyer is willing to pay a little extra... A lot of peoples sh8t could sit for at least 2-3 more months and then that's when stuff starts "getting lost".....
BB

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
My personal beef with DHL is twofold:

1) no P.O. Box delivery
2) more than double the cost of EMS
(My 8900¥ EMS parcels are 22000¥).

Ymmv, of course.

Shuri

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
I finally got my EMS packaged I ordered two months ago! FINALLY. I was expecting it to arrive here in less than a week. At least everything got here safe. My other DHL package arrived in 3 days but was 2-3x the price + I got destroyed by customs.

Ugh.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
I just received a package from Japan today using DHL. It was the only option they offered if I wanted the package to actually ship.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I just received a package from Japan today using DHL. It was the only option they offered if I wanted the package to actually ship.

Do you have to pay a customs fee upon receiving?