SamSho II Dedicated Neo Cab? Ever Seen One?

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Has anyone ever seen the dedicated Samurai Shodown II "We're Not Worthy" cabinet? I have never seen any in person only the ad flyer.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Sup NexusX. I never saw one in-person at any of my local arcades or indoor amusement locations back when it hit (mainly Big Red cabs). There are plenty of photos of them in the wild though:

SS2D.jpg

50188D78-7268-4C24-81AE-6D5CEF4B22C2.jpeg

029AB65E-47DE-46AB-9A1D-6A307803BE20.jpeg

Here’s an older arcade-museum forum post inquiring about their rarity:

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=330679

Last edited:

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
The arcade I worked at 15 or so years ago had two of them. As I recall, both of them had a fair amount of damage to the side art. They're definitely out there.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
that pattern always reminded me of Akira or Arms...

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Yeah, there used to be one in Ober Mountain Ski Area in Gatlinburg Tennessee. I haven't been up there in about 10 years so I'm not sure if it is still there or not. (Probably not) It is an amazing looking cabinet to see in person

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Got bodied by a loooot of Ukyos back in the day on one of these at my local spot.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
We had one here in Cincinnati back in the 90's at a local Q-Zar laser tag center. That's the only time I've seen one in the wild.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Great looking cab! Never knew these existed.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The photo BlackaneseNiNjA posted said it sold for $350. Wonder how long ago that photo was taken...

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
No shit. I've seen a few of these in the wild many years ago also.

nmsc

n00b
I'm not too familiar with MVS machines, but never seen a dedicated machine for one game before that wasn't your generic red one. Was there other games with dedicated cabinets?

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Was there other games with dedicated cabinets?

To my knowledge this is the only Neo cabinet I have ever seen with dedicated art all over the cab. I have know about the SamSho II one since way back when they released it but never seen one in the wild. All other "dedicated" Neo cabs I have seen (made by SNK) have been Big Red cabs with the main Marquee replaced with one game title art. They made quite a selection of large Marquee art inserts for the Big Red cabs.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
To my knowledge this is the only Neo cabinet I have ever seen with dedicated art all over the cab. I have know about the SamSho II one since way back when they released it but never seen one in the wild. All other "dedicated" Neo cabs I have seen (made by SNK) have been Big Red cabs with the main Marquee replaced with one game title art. They made quite a selection of large Marquee art inserts for the Big Red cabs.

Aside from unique projects like Irritating Maze, I assume SNK sidestepped the full cabinet art/design approach to keep the game switching process as cheap and manageable as possible. Simply switching the cart and marquee card was their primary draw (aside from the multi-cart capability of course) for arcade operators.

Samurai Shodown II was a very special case since it was their best selling game worldwide by a long shot and was probably their biggest title to rival the likes of Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter 2 in the western/global arcade market at the time.

Although the original Samurai Shodown was ported to a ton of home consoles, sadly, Samurai Shodown II never received that wide of a distribution for home console users of the 90’s. The ports of SS1 were compromised, but with some adjustments and improvements I bet Takara could have pulled off some impressive ports that could have elevated the success of Samurai Shodown II even further.

Samurai Shodown II was SNK’s best shot at international success at the time. The unique cabinet art treatment of this title only helps to cement that status imho.

Last edited:

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Aside from unique projects like Irritating Maze, I assume SNK sidestepped the full cabinet art/design approach to keep the game switching process as cheap and manageable as possible. Simply switching the cart and marquee card was their primary draw (aside from the multi-cart capability of course) for arcade operators.

Samurai Shodown II was a very special case since it was their best selling game worldwide by a long shot and was probably their biggest title to rival the likes of Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter 2 in the western/global arcade market at the time.

Although the original Samurai Shodown was ported to a ton of home consoles, sadly, Samurai Shodown II never received that wide of a distribution for home console users of the 90’s. The ports of SS1 were compromised, but with some adjustments and improvements I bet Takara could have pulled off some impressive ports that could have elevated the success of Samurai Shodown II even further.

Samurai Shodown II was SNK’s best shot at international success at the time. The unique cabinet art treatment of this title only helps to cement that status imho.

That does make a lot of sense. I remember as a kid seeing the 3DO version being marketed as arcade perfect. I wonder how true that is. The ST port on 3DO is good but its definitely not arcade perfect.

Hine62

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I played one of these almost every day back in college. I wonder what happened to it??

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
My arcade had a 1-slot with the large marquee when the game was new. Only replaced when 3 came out.

Forgot about the dedicated side art. We didn't get that.

Last edited:

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
That does make a lot of sense. I remember as a kid seeing the 3DO version being marketed as arcade perfect. I wonder how true that is. The ST port on 3DO is good but its definitely not arcade perfect.

The 3DO Samurai Shodown is a sack of shit. It runs at 30hz.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
The 3DO Samurai Shodown is a sack of shit. It runs at 30hz.

All ports of Samurai Shodown were/are shit. :) That said, I have fond memories playing the 3DO port before I got my first AES in late 1997. Back then, it was as close to "arcade perfect" as you could get considering the abysmal quality of the 4th generation console ports.

TLKrauser

n00b
I have never seen this cab in France, and I have spent a lot (too) time in the arcadesr room in 90's.
Can it be handcrafted?

Almightyburner

Kabuki Klasher
Does this have a regular ol' one-slot board? If I found one of these, could I simply throw my carts into it, or does it have a regular arcade board?