SamSho II Dedicated Neo Cab? Ever Seen One?

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Does this have a regular ol' one-slot board? If I found one of these, could I simply throw my carts into it, or does it have a regular arcade board?

SS2 was released in cartridge form only. The only Neo-Geo MVS games to be released on a stand-alone PCB (to my knowledge) were KOF2K3 and SvC Chaos - and maybe a couple others from the 2003-2004 era. So, yes, you could easily swap in your other MVS carts as SS2 would be running on a single slot MVS board. That said, good luck finding one of these cabs. :)

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
SS2 was released in cartridge form only. The only Neo-Geo MVS games to be released on a stand-alone PCB (to my knowledge) were KOF2K3 and SvC Chaos - and maybe a couple others from the 2003-2004 era. So, yes, you could easily swap in your other MVS carts as SS2 would be running on a single slot MVS board. That said, good luck finding one of these cabs. :)
And Metal Slug 5. Those are the three.

TLKrauser

n00b
93143398_221340169196048_4849156959246483456_n.jpg93143398_221340169196048_4849156959246483456_n.jpg

seen in a greatbook, neogeo anthologie (in French). The slogan is in reference to wayne's word movie, and the people in front of the cab are programmers and two children of one of them. cab intended for the US market only in the beginning.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
I came across this. Apparently, SNK in addition to the dedicated cabs, sent out conversion kits for Samurai Shodown 2. Here is a pic of one such converted cab, sorry about the poor image quality.

TaDTiKx.jpg

TLKrauser

n00b
I did not know these conversion stickers!
it's a bit handcrafted, but I find it cool that they thought of this kit.
mvs aimed to be able to change games for cheap for operators, the customization kits are a good idea!

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
There's a photo of Billy Pitt standing beside 3 of them on his page :) I'll share it here with his permission!

3xChaos

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Late to the game but I own a dedicated SSII cabinet. I’ve confirmed that less than 100 were made but the exact number is unknown. As others have mentioned, the cabinet decals were very often worn or torn since a very thin material was used. The one I own is probably 97% complete since there is a small piece about an inch or two missing from the side art. I’ve owned this for maybe 15 years now and I actually saw this go up for sale 3 different times but missed it the first 2 times. I finally lucked out the 3rd time when the 3rd owner sold it. The marquee and cart was one of the KOF games but I was able to find an NOS SSII marquee to convert it back.

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Yes there was definitely some other "show piece" games worthy of their own dedicated cab. Maybe Metal Slug 3?

3xChaos

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
SS2 control.jpg What's interesting is that they used an MVS-2 control panel and all of the other ones I've seen has an MVS-1 control panel. The player 1 and 2 start are right next to each other in the center. All the other ones I've seen has the player 1 start off to the left corner.

3xChaos

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I came across this. Apparently, SNK in addition to the dedicated cabs, sent out conversion kits for Samurai Shodown 2. Here is a pic of one such converted cab, sorry about the poor image quality.

TaDTiKx.jpg

Yes there was the dedicated SSII cabinet, MVS cartridge and the SSII conversion kit. The conversion kit came with a marquee, bezel, control panel overlay, move sheet, MVS cart, side art and a 1-slot board. I've been searching for this kit for years and only come across pieces of the kit. I'm curious as to what the box looked like since the marquee is plexi not a translite.

SS2 kit.png