Thread: So I have a stack of 5 Bootleg games...what now?

Rugal's Thug

So I have a stack of 5 Bootleg games...what now?

So over the period of the past few years i've ended up with 5 bootleg and not working correctly games. Anything from audio issues, to video glitches.

What can I do with these boards? Make other boots to play for myself? I obviously won't sell them, just want to know if there is any use I could have for them?

I'll post pics of the boards of course. Here's the list of the boots I have, would be very interested if there is anything I can do with these? At this point they are garbage so it would be nice if I could have some use for them?!

The list of games is as follows:

Puzzle Bobble (3 Copies of this!)
    Aero Fighters 2
    Neo Cup 98

Looks to be a couple different board styles.

Rugal's Thug

Pics of Boards:

Puzzle Bobble boot 1puzzbobble_a.jpg
    Puzzle Bobble boot 2puzzbobble_b.jpg
    Puzzle Bobble boot 3puzzbobble_c.jpg
    Aero Fighters 2aerofighters2.jpg
    Neo Cup 98neocup98.jpg
    Last edited by McColbo; 03-25-2020 at 08:12 AM.

Rugal's Thug

I'd love to make one into a copy of Crossed Swords 2 at the least. I figure at this point they are for parts/junk.

I'm starting the process of exploring how to do this. It's new to me, but not something that seems to hard to learn how to do. I can solder, including surface mount stuff, and am not shy about diving in to learn whatever software and hardware i'd need to do it. I figure a fun project while i'm stuck working from home.

Frenzy Football Player

Take a look at MVS Scans to see what other NG games use the same donor boards. Once you pick out a target game, match up the jumper settings on the donor PCBs, desolder the EPROMs, erase & reprogram them, and solder them back in.

Rugal's Thug

Quote Originally Posted by ShootTheCore View Post
    Take a look at MVS Scans to see what other NG games use the same donor boards. Once you pick out a target game, match up the jumper settings on the donor PCBs, desolder the EPROMs, erase & reprogram them, and solder them back in.
    I kinda thought that was the case, seems fairly straightforwarded.

Any recommend hardware for burning eeproms and clearing eproms? I know there are tons out there.

Frenzy Football Player

The eraser is easy. Just check for EPROM eraser on EBay or AliExpress and you should fine one for between $10-20. The common ones are a blue plastic box with a tray in the front and a timer. That’s what I use.

The EPROM programmer is more difficult. NG carts use 42 pin EPROMs and a lot of the cheap programmers either can’t handle them, or have to program them in multiple passes. I personally use and recommend the Wellon VP-598. It’ll handle these chips plus pretty much anything else you can throw at it. It typically costs between $200-$300 for one.

That said, I can program EPROMs for you (and anyone else) for the cost of shipping.

Luckily those are all official SNK boards, so there is a lot you can do with them if you're up for the desoldering.
    https://basementbrothers.net/

Trollbox Trade Federation

You can build any game on any board as long as it has available memory and you understand the jumpers. Some games will also need roms split or merged to fit a certain board

I’ve built and played all the protons and would recommend.

Ironclad
    Ghostlop
    Bang2Busters
    Crossed Swords 2

The rest are shit.

Rugal's Thug

Quote Originally Posted by bustedstr8 View Post
    You can build any game on any board as long as it has available memory and you understand the jumpers. Some games will also need roms split or merged to fit a certain board

Iíve built and played all the protons and would recommend.

Ironclad
    Ghostlop
    Bang2Busters
    Crossed Swords 2

The rest are shit.
    Yeah Crossed Swords 2 was one I definitely wanted to do. Looks like down the rabbit hole I go...I have a copy of Ironclad already and that's a solid game for sure. I'll have to try the other two in emulation to see if I want to do those or not. Compare boards etc.

NEST Puppet

If I knew how to build any game, I'd probably go for Ghostlop as my first choice. It's not just a good puzzle game, it's an incredible puzzle game (still can't believe it's just a proto).

Rugal's Thug

Quote Originally Posted by Catoblepa View Post
    If I knew how to build any game, I'd probably go for Ghostlop as my first choice. It's not just a good puzzle game, it's an incredible puzzle game (still can't believe it's just a proto).
    Agreed, but now I have a crapload of desoldering to do! The good news is all the boards are in decent shape. The only one I think is shot is the one Puzzle Bobble boot with the PROG16 board. There are all sorts of cobbed repairs of pads and traces. I'm using that one to desolder first as a trial run to get a good system in place before I tackle all the others.

Thread Information