Wells Gardiner K7000 Series Monitor Magnetic (I think) Interference.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
I'm getting some odd interference on my WG K7025 series monitor in my Dynamo HS-5 Upright.

-The Issue-
When playing on either the 1p or 2p side the monitor develops a redish spot in the lower right or left hand corner (depending on which control side is being used) that can grow to about half the size of the screen - but it is only on the far right or left - it does not fill the screen. It looks like magnetic interference, but that doesn't make sense.

-To Be Clear -
This issue only happens when I'm playing - AKA interacting with the control panel. It does not happen when the machine is sitting idle and the game demo is playing.

This issue only began when I replaced the CP controls. It's not unplayable, but I'm worried that it might be a problem that will eventually cause some other damage if it isn't fixed. There are no exposed wires, and everything is grounded.

I'm not the best with electronic repair (I know enough to trouble shoot and not get killed by shock), so any help would be appreciated.

-Specs and Maintenance I've Performed-

- Replaced all controls with brand new IL convex buttons and IL Eurosticks.

- Replaced all micro-switches with brand new Cherry switches

- Replaced monitor chassis with referb (not the cause - issue wasn't there before I updated the CP)

- Running a CPS2 with the Darksoft mod.

I'll post pics later. Thanks!

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Are you sure everything is grounded? First thing I would do is

1.)Make sure your electrical outlet is properly grounded. That means neutral, hot, and earth are wired correctly.

You interacting with it sounds like a ground problem. I've also seen those symptoms when the degauss circuit isn't working properly. My money is something on the monitor isn't wired properly. From a quick google the HS-5 didn't come with that monitor by default?

In any case best place to ask would be KLOV imo.

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/

Last edited:

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
Are you sure everything is grounded? First thing I would do is

1.)Make sure your electrical outlet is properly grounded. That means neutral, hot, and earth are wired correctly.

You interacting with it sounds like a ground problem. I've also seen those symptoms when the degauss circuit isn't working properly. My money is something on the monitor isn't wired properly. From a quick google the HS-5 didn't come with that monitor by default?

In any case best place to ask would be KLOV imo.

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/

Thanks! The WG monitor is what came with the cab, but on the manufacture dates in the cab pre-date the manufacture of the monitor by two years, so I assume it was swapped in at some point. I have an account at LKOV, so I'll put up a post there as well. I'll test the ground this week.