Thread: Memory Card Issue

Memory Card Issue

Hi all,

I have been needing a new memory card since my current official card's battery is dead. I wanted to buy the Neo Save Masta, but it seems to be out of stock for a while, so I went on Stone Age Gamer and purchased the JGo memory card.

However, when I insert it into my console, it does not detect any card is inserted, even though the LED light is on and everything! My official card is recognized just fine. Is there something else I'm supposed to do to "activate" this card, or did I just get a dud?

Last edited by Lord Igniz; 03-19-2020 at 07:15 PM.

what does this hiraganas mean?
    EDIT: ka-tonasashitekutasai that italian google translation is strange as the english one: " a variety of carts"
    Last edited by pier; 03-21-2020 at 03:00 PM.

Hardened Shock Trooper

Have you tried both banks?

I'd return it.

Quote Originally Posted by pier View Post
    what does this hiraganas mean?
    EDIT: ka-tonasashitekutasai that italian google translation is strange as the english one: " a variety of carts"
    The Japanese means: "No card inserted." It says it on every menu option, just doesn't detect it.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusX View Post
    Have you tried both banks?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Alec View Post
    I'd return it.
    I already did. Pretty annoying process, all I wanted was a working memory card for a week filled playing Neo Geo while I'm stuck inside. Hope the NeoSaveMasta will be back in stock sometime soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Igniz View Post
    The Japanese means: "No card inserted." It says it on every menu option, just doesn't detect it.

Yes

I already did. Pretty annoying process, all I wanted was a working memory card for a week filled playing Neo Geo while I'm stuck inside. Hope the NeoSaveMasta will be back in stock sometime soon...
    the bad is that this quarantine period is not easy to live and every little problem becomes more difficult

You should ask for a replacement instead of a refund. Give them another chance.
    https://basementbrothers.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Alec View Post
    You should ask for a replacement instead of a refund. Give them another chance.
    I did ask for a replacement but the one that they sent me also doesn't work. The second I put in my official memory card the console detects that immediately, so I know there's nothing wrong with the slot or the anything like that.

Has anyone else used this card? The last thing I can think of is that this card doesn't support a Japanese bios system for some reason. I spoke with SaG and they told me the card worked fine on their console, as did the one they just mailed me. Pretty weird.

Formerly Raz_Hoe.

Did you check to see if any pins on your console memory card reader are jacked up?

Crossed Swords Squire

If all of the pins on the memory card port are ok, then you have bad traces for the memory card pins. When I got my AES it would recognize the memory card but it wouldn’t access any of the data on it. Turns out there was a trace that was corroded and I had to jump it with a wire. Now everything works great. I’d say you need to open your AES and check the pins and the traces from the memory card slot on the top and bottom of the mobo. It’s not the card that’s the problem, it’s for sure your AES.
    IíLL RETURN YET TO SUCK SOUL

Quote Originally Posted by Digmac View Post
    If all of the pins on the memory card port are ok, then you have bad traces for the memory card pins. When I got my AES it would recognize the memory card but it wouldn’t access any of the data on it. Turns out there was a trace that was corroded and I had to jump it with a wire. Now everything works great. I’d say you need to open your AES and check the pins and the traces from the memory card slot on the top and bottom of the mobo. It’s not the card that’s the problem, it’s for sure your AES.
    If it's for sure my AES, why does my official SNK memory card work with no issues??

Quote Originally Posted by RAZO View Post
    Did you check to see if any pins on your console memory card reader are jacked up?
    The pins look fine to me.

Crossed Swords Squire

If it's for sure my AES, why does my official SNK memory card work with no issues??
    That’s a good question. If there aren’t any bent pins, carefully inspect the traces around the memory card slot on the top and bottom of the motherboard. If you see any that look black or look like they have a break or cut in them, it needs fixed. That’s what I would inspect next.
    IíLL RETURN YET TO SUCK SOUL

I opened up my console once again and checked the traces on top and bottom, again, they looked fine to me, but I'm not an expert with the AES. I cleaned the traces and whatever I could on the motherboard. I even plugged in my official SNK Power 3 power supply to see if the issue was the AC cable I was using- again, no cigar.

Has anyone else used this card? The last thing I can think of is that this card doesn't support a Japanese bios system for some reason. I spoke with SaG and they told me the card worked fine on their console, as did the one they just mailed me. Pretty weird.
    I use this card and never had problems with it. Maybe the pins are corroded.

Quote Originally Posted by TK86079 View Post
    I use this card and never had problems with it. Maybe the pins are corroded.
    Lord Igniz has said many times that the original neogeo memory card works well

We have purposely
    trained him wrong
    ...as a joke.

If you got two of them either you got two duds or the contacts on the memory card itself (thickness,pin spacing) are not identical to an og memory card. Wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened. Hence a bad connection and it not recognizing it.

Last hail mary would be to get some Isopropylol Alcohol + Q-tips. Put some on the contact ends of the card and insert the memory card a few times in and out. Do this with the power off. Wait several minutes and see if it made a difference.

On a related note the NeoSaveMaster card is awesome. Have had mine for several years.
    Last edited by ChuChu Flamingo; 03-29-2020 at 07:15 AM.
    健康第一
    Health comes first

Quote Originally Posted by ChuChu Flamingo View Post
    If you got two of them either you got two duds or the contacts on the memory card itself (thickness,pin spacing) are not identical to an og memory card. Wouldn't be the first time something like this has happened. Hence a bad connection and it not recognizing it.

Last hail mary would be to get some Isopropylol Alcohol + Q-tips. Put some on the contact ends of the card and insert the memory card a few times in and out. Do this with the power off. Wait several minutes and see if it made a difference.

On a related note the NeoSaveMaster card is awesome. Have had mine for several years.
    Yes, but SaG said the memory card I sent them back works perfectly on their console.

I also tried cleaning the contact ends of the memory card with alcohol & cue tips, but no luck.

I want to get the NeoSaveMasta, but it's not going to be in stock for a while, and these next couple months will probably be the last time I can play my Neo Geo for quite a long time.

It's conceivable that something wrong with the connections would prevent a third party card from working, while an official card doesn't have issues. I've had one that would read a NeoSaveMasta, but not third party rechargeable cards, although those cards worked fine in a good AES. I think these cards can use some of the connections differently.

I would just stick with original cards, or perhaps the NeoSaveMasta for your particular AES. I'll bet those cards you bought could work in other systems. Not sure this is worth the effort of trying to fix.
    Last edited by Neo Alec; 03-30-2020 at 12:21 PM.
    https://basementbrothers.net/

Maxima's Barber

Perhaps it is a logic level issue. The original model AES had discrete logic buffers that could handle TTL and CMOS logic levels. The later gen chipsets had an asic that may only handle one logic level and not the other.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkn55 View Post
    Perhaps it is a logic level issue. The original model AES had discrete logic buffers that could handle TTL and CMOS logic levels. The later gen chipsets had an asic that may only handle one logic level and not the other.
    This sounds like the most plausible situation. I believe my AES is one of the later models produced, might be the culprit.

Anywho, going to just return this card and order the NeoSaveMasta when that finally goes back up for sale. Thanks for all the help in trying to diagnose this problem though!

Thread Information