Phantasy Star Online 2 is on XBOne

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I've wanted to play an official English version for a few years. I installed it last night but haven't played it yet.

I'm worried it will suck.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Shit. I didn't mean to put this in General :(

Should have been in Unrelated. How'd this happen??

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Played the closed beta earlier. It is very fun. Got it loaded now as well.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
it has 5+years of content already, so it should be pretty good. The PC crossplay is not ready yet. If that takes too long, then I will likely skip out on it again. I played it on the Vita and PC for awhile with translation patches. the hiragana captcha was a bitch to get past, but smooth once you have an account made.

Capitalistix

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I've always been interested in this game too, Im amazed its finally getting a US release. Always wanted to get into PSO1 but never did. As far as I know, PSO is mostly unrelated narrative-wise to the OG PS series. Is PSO2 a direct sequel to PSO? Or is it more it's own thing again, with similar items/naming conventions etc?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I've played a couple days into it and it is really a lot to take in. I think it's definitely geared towards the PC players because some of the commands in the UI all have keyboard shortcuts instead of button combos.

Some of the missions are odd and don't complete properly. I was being told to finish a Mag mission for a coulple or hours and I had already completed it.

Another one tries to show you how to set auto chat messages and tells you what to type in. So you do, and it says to "activate" it but there's no activate button anywhere so the mission won't complete.

I'm sure a lot of it is the learning curve but still. The action missions are pretty much like the DC version so that's pretty cool.

I'm gonna keep at it and see how it goes.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I played like 20 hours of the closed beta and 5 of the open and I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the menus. Game play is fun as hell though. The biggest bummer for me is the forgettable music.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I don't have a xbox-one so meh :p Still if the pc version get's release here i'll play it that way.Since the requirements wouldn't be much.I'll give credit to microsoft,giving PSO2 official here finally since soa couldn't be bother to the twats.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Played it with PSO2 Tweaker in the past. Classic, PSO style fun.

Is the content up to date with the Japanese version? Also, did they go nuts with the microtransations?

So weird that they only decided to release it in the US now, even though they had an English version (now decommissioned) years ago in some Asian countries.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I’ve been resisting doing foolish things like buying a Xbone just to play this game. That would be stupid right?

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
F@cking Xbox, blecch! PSO deserves better. A PS port would be welcome but I'm not holding my breath.

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
I love PSO on the Dreamcast. It was so far ahead of its time.... like most things on the Dreamcast. It might be time to pull that Xbox trigger...

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
F@cking Xbox, blecch! PSO deserves better. A PS port would be welcome but I'm not holding my breath.
PSO2 did get a port to PS4 but only in japan since sega of america had to be idiots by not releasing it here.It be some thing if the original PSO got a remaster at least then again sega of today are clueless.

Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
So, how close to this in look and feel is this to PSO?

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
So, how close to this in look and feel is this to PSO?

Its similar for sure. However its got jobs and plenty of other things. I'd also say learning how the flow of the game works is insanely hard. Theres so many client counters, quest orders etc. It takes times to learn and is vastly more complex than pso. Its also scaled way down from psu so its not nearly as big as psu and doesnt have as much to do. Its much more return to form and focuses on the grind again. Microtransaction kind break the balance though. A lot of the best stuff is easily earned with actual money. Or once you learn how to grind mesta you'll have way to good of gear for the levels you're supposed to be at.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
I tried out the English PC version a while back. One thing I'll say about joining an mmo this late into the party: over time, there were lots of new game mechanics and systems added slowly, giving players time to learn them before the next thing was added to the game. However by jumping into the game now there's a severe amount of information to take in. Don't be surprised if you mind-dump entire features until you go back and redo some of the tutorials.