Samurai Shodown V Special & VI (Limited Run Games, PS4)

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Limited Run Games said:
We're thrilled to continue our partnership with @SNKPofficial
this Friday with a Limited Run for Samurai Shodown V, available in two batches at 10am & 6pm ET on http://limitedrungames.com.

UUgA2b9.png

caQXJgo.png

Source

Limited Run Games said:
And finally, we will also be partnering with @SNKPofficial
to release Samurai Shodown VI in physical format for the PS4.

This Limited Run is available as a standard edition only, and will be on sale in our two batches at 10am & 6pm ET on Friday, March 13.

X1eBGhC.png

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Of course they're thrilled! This shit sells out.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
in b4 saner shows up and ruins yet another Samurai Shodown thread.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
If anyone is thinking about purchasing these- there is a Samurai Shodown collection coming out this year that should include all the classic games in the series: https://www.gematsu.com/2020/01/samurai-shodown-neogeo-collection-playable-at-evo-japan-2020

To be fair, for those who are interested in the Samurai Shodown VI release, SSVI has so far been stated to not be included in the collection cited above due to it not being released on the neogeo originally. Since the cited collection is likely using only a neogeo emulator-based solution, SSVI presumably wouldn't be as easy to include...although despite this, Samurai Showdown VI was still included on the older snk playmore ps2/psp/wii samurai showdown collection. However, the trade-off in that release was that SSV Special was missing from that collection at the time.

Also, Samurai Shodown V Special is available on ps4 in 2 forms. There is the Code Mystics release and the ACA release from Hamster. I am assuming that the version of SSV Special from LRG will be the Code Mystics release. However, the version of SSVI presently on the ps4 psn appears to be the ps2 release running on the ps4; not sure how well it plays compared to the original ps2 release of Samurai Spirits Tenkaichi Kenkakuden or the version included on the older Anthology/Rokuban Shoubu collection.

Last edited:

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Gotcha, I completely missed VI was not in the collection- thanks for the clarification!

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
in b4 saner shows up and ruins yet another Samurai Shodown thread.

Hahaha. Any minute before he/she rolls in beating off to SS waifus and soapbox preaching about sexism in the series.

Real talk though... why not just play this on MVS?

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
Samurai Shodown VI is the PS2 one, which can currently be had for $4.49 on PSN (bought this a while ago for $2.99).

Who would buy these physical releases?

Besides... SS2 > both of these games combined.

Or SS1, 3, or 4.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Samurai Shodown VI is the PS2 one, which can currently be had for $4.49 on PSN (bought this a while ago for $2.99).

Because they are physical and look cool on the shelf, Duh.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I never had a chance to play VI - how was it?
I haven't played it much, but the PS2 version feels more like a hack than an official game to me. The background graphics and sound don't match the old character graphics. Seems like an excuse to reuse a lot of old character graphics. It's more like a dream match than a new chapter in the series.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I felt the same. I spent about an hour playing it when darksoft released the AW file converted to play on Naomi. It just felt like mugen. Definitely didn't hold my interest.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
With so many ways to play these games individually and on former collections, I don't see the point of a physical release of a single ported game. Seems like paying more for less. A physical release collecting the ACA Neo-Geo series would be appealing. Add the Neo-Geo CD arranged versions for greater value.

shadowsfollow

New Challenger
Package looks nice but I'm happy with the digital release with online play, same with LB2 and Garou. Even KOF'97 world match was a pretty cool release. The KOF'98 Ultimate Match is the PS2 port.

Come to think of it, KOFXI PS2 release would be nice to have on PS4 because of all the characters from NGBC.

ACA NG releases are ok but nothing stelar, no online support, at least they're cheap and they have an online score board.
I got the Neo Turf Masters for Switch and it plays OK, pixels aren't uniform but it does the job. I don't mind this releases for Switch but for everything else...I rather use emulation.

Last edited:

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
I'll do it one better, fuck LRG

I refuse to buy any of their games on principle.

Seconded. I just can't bring myself to do it.

I also remember VI feeling slapped together and not very satisfying to play. I felt that way about a lot of SNKP games from era, though.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I don't know why anyone buys the PS4 releases of Neo games. The games look better on my ps classic....

shadowsfollow

New Challenger
I like to think most people get the Neo releases for online play, ie; SSVSP, Last Blade 2, MOTW, KOF97, stuff like that. Not including ACA (Online score board) nor PS2 DL, the ACA online score board is a nice feature to have if you're heavy into a game and want to play for score competitively.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
+1
The ACA score boards definitely kept me coming back to those versions for a good while. The forced single credit play in that mode is the way I normally play neogeo games anyway, so it was a lot of fun to push myself in some old favorites like Magician Lord, Fire Suplex, etc

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

The noobs seem to mark out on these, especially the releases that include the fake Neo home cart cases. Personally, I'll stick with the ACA releases for neo stuff on newer hardware. The conversions are pretty good. I don't know about these, but some of the other shit that's been released have been ports of the PS2 versions, which were pretty fine on PS2 but when you port a port you get pretty bad results, like the PS4 Metal Slug collection or the ADK collections.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Yeah that sort of thing is pretty dumb. They could have actually pressed proper PS2 disks so you can kill the top laggy emulation layer but I suppose that is not sexy enough for collectards or their clientele is PS4 only? (remember when retrocompatibility was a thing instead of having to rebuy your games with packaged emus individually)

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Why would anybody want a non-functional fucking aes cart and a fake shockbox? I am really confused.

Edit : can't they be sued for even using the word "Shockbox"?

Last edited: