Ghostlop Reset Issue

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Just finished making a Ghostlop. It reset and showed a graphic glitch on first boot, but ran fine for several hours after that.

Now it seems to be crashing more frequently and loses sound shortly before resetting.

My 2 concerns:

S1 - I used 250ns chip, looks like it should be less than 200ns. I misunderstood the chip label.

M1 - 150ns chip, might need 120ns or less.

Are these symptoms of slow chips?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
This problem is associated with the M1.If there are no broken tracks ,try burning another M1
The 150ns is fine.If the problem persists,try another brand.
BB

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
This problem is associated with the M1.If there are no broken tracks ,try burning another M1
The 150ns is fine.If the problem persists,try another brand.
BB

No broken traces. I just tried 2 more chips on M1.

AM27C010-150DC - original chip, ran for couple hours without issue, loses sound, resets
AM27C010-120DC - loses sound, resets
TMS-JL-27C010A-10 - graphics glitched on and off after 1 minute and game reset. Change cart slot and played for an hour without issues.

I'll see how this one goes after a few more rounds. Are those AMD chips no good?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
What eprom are you using for p1? And it it jumpered correctly?

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I think that’s part of my problem. Should I swap the P1 to a 27C160? I’m pretty sure the board had a 16MB chip. If I want to keep the 8MB chip I’m not sure which jumpers need to be changed.

aaluis

n00b
Try moving J9 to J10.

Thanks for that!

I used to have a similar issue, the game reseted itself after the Data East Logo showed just after booting, all the graphics got corrupted and the soft-reset happened, When I first booted up just after finishing the conversion, everything ran flawless with the exception of the story mode, because after playing about five minutes graphics got corrupted and self-reset ocurred, very unusual, contrary to playing the Vs. mode as you can have many stages completed and game had no issues, but now thaks to shadowkn55, just moving J9 to J10 solved all the issues.

Thank you very much!

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Unfortunately, after changing the jumper all the graphics glitched out no matter what MVS board or slot. I switched the jumper back and burned doubled-up P1 to a 16MB chip and now the game won’t boot. I’ll have to try burning it again, not sure what’s going on now.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I believe that it was a bad set floating around because I found myself having to locate a new set long ago due to similar problems you are having now.I've got like two directories.....
Your TMS M1 should be fine though...I found myself having to use an 020,doubling the image and all was well.
BB

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I believe that it was a bad set floating around because I found myself having to locate a new set long ago due to similar problems you are having now.I've got like two directories.....
Your TMS M1 should be fine though...I found myself having to use an 020,doubling the image and all was well.
BB

Good to know. I'll see if I can locate a different romset.

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I'm about ready to throw this board in the trash. Ever since messing with J9 and J10 the game won't boot no matter what I do. I've tried swapping P1 with multiple rom dumps (thanks BIG BEAR), multiple 16MB and 8MB chips, and multiple MVS boards. It boots straight to cross hatch.

Last edited:

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Post pics of the front and back of the board

49934564696_815b7ae039_c.jpg

49934564706_33254af30e_c.jpg

49934564646_49256c6b82_c.jpg

49934050758_59d1248455_c.jpg

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
It looks like it jumpered correctly. I'm out of ideas except for cleaning the cart edges.

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
One other thing you could check. Assuming you are using unibios, when it boots to the crosshatch go into the memory viewer. Then scroll down to address 0x100 which should contain "NEO-GEO". Like

https://www.mvs-scans.com/misc/IMG_0474.jpg

depending on whats there it may give insight into whats wrong.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
You've tried several PROG boards and several EPROMs?
Could it be your programmer? Straight to crosshatch would mean bad data on P1 if configuration is correct.
BB

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I tried a different PROGTOP board and freshly burned chips and it’s working again.

Hopefully I can figure out what’s wrong with this other prog board. I’m afraid after 5+ chip swaps the pads are getting a little torn up.

BIG BEAR - it turns out my romset was same as yours, I ran comparison and the P1 and V1 are identical.

ack - the screen went black when I tried the mem viewer.

Thanks for the help everyone.

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
ack - the screen went black when I tried the mem viewer.

Are you on a multi slot board? Try pressing 'A' when on the black screen and it will cycle through the slots. If you are on a single slot board that would indicate its likely not seeing the S1 rom on the CHA board.