Consolized MV-2F Garbled Image w/ 161 in 1

Kez

n00b
Hi all,

I have a consolized MV-2F board.. recently I plugged it in with a new 5V psu that was making the picture super noisy and weird, so I quickly unplugged it.

However now, whenever I turn on the system with the 161 in 1 cart installed.. I get a weird garbled image (attached). However when I boot with a genuine Neo Turf Masters cart, it runs absolutely fine.

At first I thought maybe the 161 in 1 cart was damaged, so I got another one.. same problem. Then I thought it might be the BIOS, so I replaced that with no luck.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20200304_110224.jpg
    20200304_110224.jpg
    625.9 KB · Views: 42

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Try clearing the backup ram. The memory might have been corrupted when you got the noisy picture.

Kez

n00b
Thanks Alec,

I just gave that a try - used the hardware test and also the dip switches to clear it. No change unfortunately. I do have some updates/extra information however..

I have tried running the diagnostic BIOS, and it reports everything is OK. I haven't done the Z80 test as I don't have access to a CHA donor board.

However, I have also noticed that I am getting no sound when I run off slot 2... I'm not sure if this is a new development or has always been the case, as I always use slot 1. It also seems like the audio in Neo Turf Masters is a bit weird now, sort of popping distortion at the high end. This is leading me to suspect that something in the sound circuitry is damaged? Perhaps the Z80? This is really all speculation though and I don't have any experience repairing MVS boards.

Last edited:

Kez

n00b
It's a 5V/1A PSU, no idea what it came with honestly. I was just being lazy and dug it out of a box as the 5V/4A PSU I got for the CMVS was being used elsewhere.. I have checked the voltage with a multimeter and it does deliver 5.1V.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Try the 5V/4A one. 1A is not enough, especially for a 2-slot.

Kez

n00b
Thanks, however the current situation seems to be a permanent result of using the 1A PSU. I used it very briefly (30 seconds or so) before switching back to the 4A one and it has not worked properly since.