Thread: Consolized MV-2F Garbled Image w/ 161 in 1

Bashful Neophyte

Consolized MV-2F Garbled Image w/ 161 in 1

Hi all,

I have a consolized MV-2F board.. recently I plugged it in with a new 5V psu that was making the picture super noisy and weird, so I quickly unplugged it.

However now, whenever I turn on the system with the 161 in 1 cart installed.. I get a weird garbled image (attached). However when I boot with a genuine Neo Turf Masters cart, it runs absolutely fine.

At first I thought maybe the 161 in 1 cart was damaged, so I got another one.. same problem. Then I thought it might be the BIOS, so I replaced that with no luck.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Try clearing the backup ram. The memory might have been corrupted when you got the noisy picture.

Bashful Neophyte

Thanks Alec,

I just gave that a try - used the hardware test and also the dip switches to clear it. No change unfortunately. I do have some updates/extra information however..

I have tried running the diagnostic BIOS, and it reports everything is OK. I haven't done the Z80 test as I don't have access to a CHA donor board.

However, I have also noticed that I am getting no sound when I run off slot 2... I'm not sure if this is a new development or has always been the case, as I always use slot 1. It also seems like the audio in Neo Turf Masters is a bit weird now, sort of popping distortion at the high end. This is leading me to suspect that something in the sound circuitry is damaged? Perhaps the Z80? This is really all speculation though and I don't have any experience repairing MVS boards.
    Last edited by Kez; 03-05-2020 at 04:29 PM.

Maxima's Barber

What's the amperage on the new psu?

Bashful Neophyte

It's a 5V/1A PSU, no idea what it came with honestly. I was just being lazy and dug it out of a box as the 5V/4A PSU I got for the CMVS was being used elsewhere.. I have checked the voltage with a multimeter and it does deliver 5.1V.

Maxima's Barber

Try the 5V/4A one. 1A is not enough, especially for a 2-slot.

Bashful Neophyte

Thanks, however the current situation seems to be a permanent result of using the 1A PSU. I used it very briefly (30 seconds or so) before switching back to the 4A one and it has not worked properly since.

Thread Information