My Hyper Neo series - Samurai Spirits 64 2 - 5/5

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

Since it's the NG.com forums, I expect to get beat up and flamed for all the videos, but that's part of the charm here right? lol

But anyway, I was foolish enough to complete a Hyper full set, and figured why not make a series on all seven games and the associated hardware.

This is just the intro. Nine more videos coming up every Tuesday.

So go watch. You can't make fun of me if you don't watch and find something to make fun of :keke:

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I sold mine off a while back, interesting for about 15 mins or so.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I love the Hyper 64. BURIKI and SamSho 2 get tons of love at my meet ups.

Looking forward to this!

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I have ffwa dual'd in a cab in my daughter's room. Doesn't get that much play, but it's in a cab and hadn't been sold. That says a lot, lol

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Looking forward to this series. Correct information is quite scarce for this platform. The games are much better than people think.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Looking forward to this series. Correct information is quite scarce for this platform. The games are much better than people think.

One of the videos I have planned is a comprehensive overview of the hardware itself. Chips, what does what, etc etc. The info online isn’t even clear as to what does what (ive heard a lot of “each game needs its own special motherboard, when in reality you can swap the I/O across any motherboard and “convert” the pcb to play whatever the hell you’d like)

Plus the games are all fun. Driving games are good, fighting games range from good to great, and I f’ing love Beast Busters.

First video did well stat wise. Hopefully more people are interested in the Hyper than anyone would assume. I can’t keep doing these weirdo platforms if they don’t get traction haha

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I got nothing but love for the HNG64! Definitely looking forward to these vids. Liked & subscribed :buttrock:

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
I liked the first episode. I don't know much about the Hyper 64 and i am looking forward to this series.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
The games for the most part are a lot of fun, same as with the pocket console. It was still really fucking dumb to go with this hardware in both cases. You'd think they'd have it down, with all the experience they had in the hardware and software field. But they fucked up and you could see this was the case from the first minute. Incredible. They killed themselves and if they had a bit more "woke" they could have released something adequate without needing to break the bank. SNK by then where real dumb dumbs

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
The games for the most part are a lot of fun, same as with the pocket console. It was still really fucking dumb to go with this hardware in both cases. You'd think they'd have it down, with all the experience they had in the hardware and software field. But they fucked up and you could see this was the case from the first minute. Incredible. They killed themselves and if they had a bit more "woke" they could have released something adequate without needing to break the bank. SNK by then where real dumb dumbs

I just shot and will soon edit a full PCB overview of all the silicon on the Hyper itself. It really confuses me why SNK went with the design they did. The sheer amount of custom ASIC’s on board is insane. Every function is broken out into its own separate chip. Triangle engine on one piece of silicon, and a calculation engine on another.

I get it was 96 when they were designing this, but there seems to be less than zero efficiency in their hardware designs. I can only imagine what the production costs were on these boards and it’s crazy amount of custom chips.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

Maybe I’m in the minority, but outside the iffy graphics I really enjoy Samurai Shodown 64! Solid gameplay and a fun time all around

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I love SamSho 2 64 (I’ve never played the first), and was pleasantly surprised to see SamSho 2019 (PS4, etc) give more than one nod to the Hyper game.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I love SamSho 2 64 (I’ve never played the first), and was pleasantly surprised to see SamSho 2019 (PS4, etc) give more than one nod to the Hyper game.

I still need to play the 2019 entry. I meant to pick it up but I’d just recently started a new job and was busy AF when it came out.

Maybe I’ll order it on amazon today. Really gotta try it

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I still need to play the 2019 entry. I meant to pick it up but I’d just recently started a new job and was busy AF when it came out.

Maybe I’ll order it on amazon today. Really gotta try it

It’s sooooooo good.

Like, better than it has any right to be.
My favorite entry, since MVS 2.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Just hit export on the last video in the series. So the Hyper is all done. Obv going to have a bunch more episodes moving forward but its on to the next thing!

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
My Hyper Neo series started today - Samurai Shodown 64! - 3/10

next thing!

The latest Rabbit hole I’ve fallen down, is System32 super scaler racers.

I have SlipStream, and am currently negotiating for a Rad Rally.

Rad Mobile,OutRunners, and Sega F1 Super Lap are on my radar.

I’d love to see your treatment of this this slice of gaming!

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
The latest Rabbit hole I’ve fallen down, is System32 super scaler racers.

I have SlipStream, and am currently negotiating for a Rad Rally.

Rad Mobile,OutRunners, and Sega F1 Super Lap are on my radar.

I’d love to see your treatment of this this slice of gaming!

I am doing something else arcade related soon. But I’m trying not to become an arcade only channel. Just a mix of weird stuff really haha

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

I’d love to know just what SNK was thinking with this design. It makes a Sega Saturn look efficient and the N64 look god-tier streamlined.

I still have a few unanswered questions in the video. If anyone thinks they have answers lmk

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I’m sad for what could’ve been. The most powerful 2-D hardware developed, without a single 2-D game on it.

Carts bigger than many consoles.

Oh, the possibilities!

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I’m sad for what could’ve been. The most powerful 2-D hardware developed, without a single 2-D game on it.

Oh, the possibilities!

Right? I’d have just pivoted the platform to 2D. It has a ton of capability in that direction

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member

Oh, the possibilities!

Right? I’d have just pivoted the platform to 2D. It has a ton of capability in that direction

So much this. It was always unfortunate that we never saw a fully 2d masterpiece on this hardware. Some of the 2d assets in the two samurai spirits games on the HNG64 give us a small glimpse at what could have been, but alas, it just never happened.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

It's a wonder why they even bothered with developing the HNG64 in the first place. They were late to the party with it, it underperformed and it had first party titles that sucked in comparison to their NG counterparts. Nevermind the competing titles from other developers of the time.

Gee I wonder why they ditched it and went back to what was still bringing them success in the market.