Any Last Minute Tokyo Suggestions?

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
I'll be in Tokyo tomorrow for a quick trip. I already have HEY in Akihabara planned and maybe a stop at Mikado (Mikado was a bit disappointing last fall). Any other stops suggested? I'll be in town for 3 nights just taking a break.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
HEY isn't the same now that you can't smoke while playing.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Umm, get out of Tokyo?

If your mission is a break, you can’t do any better than a day trip to Atami. ;^)

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Maid cafe in Akihabara.
Condomania in Harajuku
Tokyo National Museum

and that's it

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Don’t buy games in Tokyo.

Yup.

Don’t go to Tokyo, either.

If you wanna be in that neck of the woods, by the bay or whatevs...Yokohama eats Tokyo’s lunch.

There is a lot more to Japan, than the Tokyo of the late 90s/early aughts-that doesn’t even exist anymore.

Better yet...save your money, stay home and watch Iron Chef and mecha mecha ike re-runs.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Most people just wanna shop there. Gonna get hit with that gaijin tax. Have fun.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Most people just wanna shop there. Gonna get hit with that gaijin tax. Have fun.

Shopping has to be the poorest use of your time while travelling and yet... nigh everyone focuses on it. Spend a day walking around the city without a direction in mind, catch a train an hour out and eat lunch at some random place in the suburbs. Anything else but fucking shopping!

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Ghibli Museum in Mitaka. Get tickets at the kiosks in Lawson’s.

Spend the day in and around the neighborhood before or after your museum visit.
Great food, people, and parks.

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
I appreciate all of the suggestions (at least the serious ones...). I’ve lived 11 years in Japan, but most of it in Okinawa. 3 years just outside of Tokyo...99 thru 02. Games were dirt cheap then...even at Super Potato. I’ve done a lot in my time on the mainland. Learned to ski in Nagano, been to Nagasaki, Kyoto, Hiroshima, etc, and even rode my motorcycle from Kagoshima to Tokyo. This trip was to take a few days and hit the arcades and eat some good food. If I buy some games, so be it. Not an agenda. I’ll do some exploring. Look for some small game shops just see what I can see. Play some games and then head home. I’ll post if I see anything good for future topic search purposes. Thanks

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
It's a little hard to find with GPS, but I had a great time drinking and chatting in limited English with local retrogamers at A Button Game Bar in Akihabara, it's about a 10 minute walk from the station and the owner speaks enough English.

The decor has obscure stuff like Katana systems and a PC-FX, it's a real treat.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Sorry to double-post but I can't edit my posts. In Tokyo Radio Department Store in Akihabara, there's KVC Lab which sells PCBs and some misc console stuff, and Kaden no Ken-Chan which sells various system mod bits, games, controllers, etc, and has a cute MVS SC-14 hidden away inside. Better to know enough Japanese for each of these shops, especially KVC Lab, but you can get by with furiously typing into Google Translate and some patience.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I appreciate all of the suggestions (at least the serious ones...). I’ve lived 11 years in Japan, but most of it in Okinawa. 3 years just outside of Tokyo...99 thru 02. Games were dirt cheap then...even at Super Potato. I’ve done a lot in my time on the mainland. Learned to ski in Nagano, been to Nagasaki, Kyoto, Hiroshima, etc, and even rode my motorcycle from Kagoshima to Tokyo. This trip was to take a few days and hit the arcades and eat some good food. If I buy some games, so be it. Not an agenda. I’ll do some exploring. Look for some small game shops just see what I can see. Play some games and then head home. I’ll post if I see anything good for future topic search purposes. Thanks

You going to try and get permanent resident status? You pass the 10 year minimum to apply for it.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I'll humor you

https://borderless.teamlab.art/

it's on my bucket list for april, pretty much the only reason I'm spending time in Tokyo again.

Shopping has to be the poorest use of your time while travelling and yet... nigh everyone focuses on it. Spend a day walking around the city without a direction in mind, catch a train an hour out and eat lunch at some random place in the suburbs. Anything else but fucking shopping!

fuck, just get that rail pass and explore, that's what I will do.

Last edited:

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
I took the family to the lab last August. It was a nice experience and the kids loved it. As for getting residence, I don't think I qualify even if I wanted to stay here. My years are from being stationed US military so I don't think they would count. I'm looking forward to being in the States again. With exception of one year, I lived overseas since 2006.