SSDS3 Revision A- Should I sell or Modify?

Lord Igniz

n00b
Hi all,

So I want to get my SSDS3 modified with the FBX and FU-RGB boards. It will cost me around $100 with the shipping to a modder. I was thinking at that price should I simply buy a new, Revision B board ($250 with shipping), and then sell my current board for $150-200? Or how much is it even worth on the open market?

Any suggestions would be welcome, thanks.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Hi all,

So I want to get my SSDS3 modified with the FBX and FU-RGB boards. It will cost me around $100 with the shipping to a modder. I was thinking at that price should I simply buy a new, Revision B board ($250 with shipping), and then sell my current board for $150-200? Or how much is it even worth on the open market?

Any suggestions would be welcome, thanks.

I paid to add the mods to mine - i don't hink they are even in stock right now? I dunno, I was lazy and it just seemed easier to get it modded.

Lord Igniz

n00b
They are not currently in stock, but I saw on Twitter that more are being produced now. With the turnaround time to get the system modded I'm guessing the time will be the same. I'm just thinking it will be easier to buy the new revision with the audio and video issues sorted, plus it will still be under the warranty. If I can sell my current unit for around $200 I think it's just worth it to get a new one.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I bought one of the rgb upgrade boards for mine and never installed it. No clue where it even is now. Terra onion never sent me my registration shit for it either, so I think I'm probably on some old ass firmware most likely as well.
Was thinking I'd probably sell mine at some point.

Lord Igniz

n00b
You were going to do the RGB mod yourself? What about the Firebrand X audio mod? The audio is the main reason I want to get mine modded, really bad quality you can hear through my external speakers.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I was gonna try to until I saw how damn tiny the board was. Really just lost interest in the whole thing all together once I saw the pc engine mini was coming out.... Also I can just run all the roms on my laptop using a wireless Sega saturn controller which is probably the best option of them all anyway. Lol

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Sounds like a shit product.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I got a Rev B a couple months ago. I experienced a weird sync issue, but that was probably the Framemeister, not the SSDS3. I haven't noticed any audio noise, and I'm running mine through an amp.

Seems like the video quality isn't quite real RGB, but it looks pretty damn good to me. In my experience, the Rev B has worked just fine.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I got the latest revision from Black Friday and I have no complaints running it into my PVM. It’s a great product now that all the kinks have been ironed out. I’m glad I waited on buying one.

eclypse

Banned
Well with them waiting on china to get back to manufacturing it could be a super long wait for more new stock.

I'd say send it off and get it modded!

I also have a revision B, but using an old crt tv with scart in the picture is perfect and no sound issues other then the normal menu noise which could be fixed with a cap soldered to the back of the board.

Still would like to get it modded while I can though as I'm sure it would help with the resale value and also if and when the crt tv dies I can use the ossc that will show all the flaws with the picture noise.

eclypse

Banned
I got a Rev B a couple months ago. I experienced a weird sync issue, but that was probably the Framemeister, not the SSDS3. I haven't noticed any audio noise, and I'm running mine through an amp.

Seems like the video quality isn't quite real RGB, but it looks pretty damn good to me. In my experience, the Rev B has worked just fine.

Yea their has been a mention of an issue using it with the framemeister.. grabbing a ossc would prob fix that

Edit for link..

https://forums.terraonion.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1364

Last edited:

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Actually, just tinkering with the sync level (I think, I don't remember for sure which sync setting it was - the one with the slider) very slightly fixed the issue. I just saved that profile with the sync setting modification, and I load that profile when I play PC Engine. Everything has been working perfectly since then.

For posterity, if anybody experiences an issue where the Framemeister just seems to drop out of sync, I'll be happy to chat with you to help troubleshoot it.

Lord Igniz

n00b
Ok guys, so I ended up purchasing Rev B, and I honestly don't see or hear any difference between the 2. I hooked up both to my PVM using my PC Engine CoreGrafxII, and they looked/sounded identical. I'm still getting audio noise from Rev B, mainly audible if I, say, pause a game and hear that buzzing sound through my speakers. Pretty bummed about that, was hoping the newest version would be issue free. If anyone wants to purchase one of my SSDS3s, send me a PM and I'll sell for much less than what they currently go for.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
There is a massive difference between the newest revision and the older ones. If you are still hearing the same identical noise, you might want to look at other stuff in your setup to possibly be causing it.

I would look at console PSU (many 3rd party ones are total trash), cables (if using Scart I would use a really well shielded cable) and also look over the rest of the signal chain, start switchers and etc.

Lord Igniz

n00b
Hi Todd,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm going to go and switch over to my recapped PVM and the one that has my full speaker setup today and then compare the two again; I kind of did things last night before I slept so didn't fully test them up and was using my older PVM.

Will be using RetroGamingUK Cables along with correct power supply for the PC Engine. Wil reply back after doing some more, serious testing.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Interested in trading for the Rev A? I've got lots of stuff for all consoles/arcade. Let me know.

Lord Igniz

n00b
Interested in trading for the Rev A? I've got lots of stuff for all consoles/arcade. Let me know.

Eh, possibly. I'd probably be looking just to straight up sell it, but I'm going to be running some comparisons of my two units before I make the decision.