Neo-AES3-6 Won't start games, garbage graphic even with no game inserted

I have a Neo-Geo AES Model AES3-6 that won't start games, will just show me a screen with garbage graphics even with no game card installed.

Sometimes, when I power up the console, I get a weird Rainbow colored screen. Some other time, my TV will even lose sync. The console is hooked up with standard composite cable and a 9v power adapter with the right polarity. (the board has a LM2576 and a copper coil so should have no problem handling 9v, I checked the voltage out of the LM2576 and it has 5v out)

I tested the voltage and the CPUs get their 5v.

here's some pictures
https://imgur.com/a/8MsbvZD

I've taken the liberty of removing the bios chip and installing a socket, considering its my first time removing a chip this large, I think I did a decent job. No pads were ripped. I don't have a neo diagnostic rom, but I did order a few eproms and a TL866II programmer.

I have no idea what could cause this problem. any suggestions? I think maybe memory, but considering how messed up the video output is... I'm not sure. A odd thing I noticed is that the YM2610 gets moderately warm after a few minutes, it's not hot, but every other chip were still cold.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Did the 9v adapter come with that unit because that unit requires 10v 1amp.it's normal for the ym2610 to get warm.
BB

Last edited: