Thread: Burning Fight "MVS" difficulty on AES

King's Barkeep

Burning Fight "MVS" difficulty on AES

After selecting "MVS" difficulty, the curser jumps right back to "Normal" as the screen fades/transitions. I didn't notice this happening with the other difficulty settings.

Is this normal? I'm playing a homecart on a stock jpn console.

I suppose I could have posted this is gameplay, but whatevs. Thanks.
    Last edited by andsuchisdeath; 02-06-2020 at 08:19 PM.

I know what you mean, since I owned it back in the day, and I'm reviewing the game right now for my Youtube series. It must be normal. I've always assumed it to just be a display thing as the screen is transitioning, but who knows? Perhaps it warrants further investigation. I always try to go in-depth a bit when I'm reviewing, and I could try playing with the difficulty settings in MVS mode to see how it compares to the AES difficulty settings.

Do you notice any difference between Easy and Hard?

We should be able to check the bits that control the difficulty in the Unibios debug menu.

King's Barkeep

Quote Originally Posted by Neo Alec View Post
    I know what you mean, since I owned it back in the day, and I'm reviewing the game right now for my Youtube series. It must be normal. I've always assumed it to just be a display thing as the screen is transitioning, but who knows? Perhaps it warrants further investigation. I always try to go in-depth a bit when I'm reviewing, and I could try playing with the difficulty settings in MVS mode to see how it compares to the AES difficulty settings.

Do you notice any difference between Easy and Hard?
    Cool, thanks for the reply.

The difference between "MVS" and "Hard" is quite apparent, so I've never bothered to test "Easy". Perhaps I should invest a little more time into comparing "MVS" and "Normal".

King's Barkeep

Well...uhh...it would be really cool if someone could see if the same thing happens to them when they start up the game. I don't use emulation these days so I can't check myself.

I will continue to dream big

I popped in my AES cart, filmed the difficulty selection screen on slo-mo and it flips to normal when I begin a game on MVS mode.

King's Barkeep

Quote Originally Posted by GamingCult View Post
    I popped in my AES cart, filmed the difficulty selection screen on slo-mo and it flips to normal when I begin a game on MVS mode.
    Awesome. I appreciate you taking the time to try this.

I noticed it only jumps to Normal when you select MVS. The soft dips screen on the MVS version only has Easy, Normal, Hard, and Very Hard, rather than the 1-8 difficulty levels, which later became standard. This leads me to believe that in this game they just made Normal and MVS the same, rather than making MVS the hard mode. And for some reason you can even see it select normal on the screen. ("MVS" typically just designates normal arcade difficulty, not hard mode. Usually AES "Normal" is level 3 and MVS is 4.)

King's Barkeep

Right it only jumps to normal when selecting MVS.

So if we can conclude that "Normal" and "MVS" are the same, the difficulty has to function as one or the other. "Normal" or "MVS"?

Thanks for looking into this.

MVS is Normal for this game I believe. Not sure why you say it has to be one or the other.

King's Barkeep

Not sure why you say it has to be one or the other.
    Maybe I'm not following you. It seems that one of the difficulty levels is not present on the cart (Level 3), which is ok with me. I just want to confirm that there is a default (Level 4) MVS difficulty setting on the homecart, and you aren't confusing 3 with 4. If two different difficulty options contain the same difficulty setting, wouldn't that make things "one or the other"?
    Last edited by andsuchisdeath; 03-08-2020 at 08:36 AM.

Burning Fight MVS doesn't have numbers for the difficulty. Older games often didn't. The MVS has Easy, Normal, Hard, and Very Hard.

I suspect that on the AES the Normal and MVS modes are both equivalent to the MVS Normal mode.

I think they just wanted to keep their usual difficulty conventions for the AES.

King's Barkeep

Burning Fight MVS doesn't have numbers for the difficulty. Older games often didn't. The MVS has Easy, Normal, Hard, and Very Hard.

I suspect that on the AES the Normal and MVS modes are both equivalent to the MVS Normal mode.

I think they just wanted to keep their usual difficulty conventions for the AES.

Gotcha. Thanks.

Thread Information