Burning Fight "MVS" difficulty on AES

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
After selecting "MVS" difficulty, the curser jumps right back to "Normal" as the screen fades/transitions. I didn't notice this happening with the other difficulty settings.

Is this normal? I'm playing a homecart on a stock jpn console.

I suppose I could have posted this is gameplay, but whatevs. Thanks.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I know what you mean, since I owned it back in the day, and I'm reviewing the game right now for my Youtube series. It must be normal. I've always assumed it to just be a display thing as the screen is transitioning, but who knows? Perhaps it warrants further investigation. I always try to go in-depth a bit when I'm reviewing, and I could try playing with the difficulty settings in MVS mode to see how it compares to the AES difficulty settings.

Do you notice any difference between Easy and Hard?

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
We should be able to check the bits that control the difficulty in the Unibios debug menu.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I know what you mean, since I owned it back in the day, and I'm reviewing the game right now for my Youtube series. It must be normal. I've always assumed it to just be a display thing as the screen is transitioning, but who knows? Perhaps it warrants further investigation. I always try to go in-depth a bit when I'm reviewing, and I could try playing with the difficulty settings in MVS mode to see how it compares to the AES difficulty settings.

Do you notice any difference between Easy and Hard?

Cool, thanks for the reply.

The difference between "MVS" and "Hard" is quite apparent, so I've never bothered to test "Easy". Perhaps I should invest a little more time into comparing "MVS" and "Normal".

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Well...uhh...it would be really cool if someone could see if the same thing happens to them when they start up the game. I don't use emulation these days so I can't check myself.

I will continue to dream big

GamingCult

n00b
I popped in my AES cart, filmed the difficulty selection screen on slo-mo and it flips to normal when I begin a game on MVS mode.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I noticed it only jumps to Normal when you select MVS. The soft dips screen on the MVS version only has Easy, Normal, Hard, and Very Hard, rather than the 1-8 difficulty levels, which later became standard. This leads me to believe that in this game they just made Normal and MVS the same, rather than making MVS the hard mode. And for some reason you can even see it select normal on the screen. ("MVS" typically just designates normal arcade difficulty, not hard mode. Usually AES "Normal" is level 3 and MVS is 4.)

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Right it only jumps to normal when selecting MVS.

So if we can conclude that "Normal" and "MVS" are the same, the difficulty has to function as one or the other. "Normal" or "MVS"?

Thanks for looking into this.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
MVS is Normal for this game I believe. Not sure why you say it has to be one or the other.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Not sure why you say it has to be one or the other.

Maybe I'm not following you. It seems that one of the difficulty levels is not present on the cart (Level 3), which is ok with me. I just want to confirm that there is a default (Level 4) MVS difficulty setting on the homecart, and you aren't confusing 3 with 4. If two different difficulty options contain the same difficulty setting, wouldn't that make things "one or the other"?

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Burning Fight MVS doesn't have numbers for the difficulty. Older games often didn't. The MVS has Easy, Normal, Hard, and Very Hard.

I suspect that on the AES the Normal and MVS modes are both equivalent to the MVS Normal mode.

I think they just wanted to keep their usual difficulty conventions for the AES.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Burning Fight MVS doesn't have numbers for the difficulty. Older games often didn't. The MVS has Easy, Normal, Hard, and Very Hard.

I suspect that on the AES the Normal and MVS modes are both equivalent to the MVS Normal mode.

I think they just wanted to keep their usual difficulty conventions for the AES.

Gotcha. Thanks.