Weird TV problem I need help with...

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
So, I have a cheap'ish Hisense flat screen I use in my gameroom. It's been a solid little TV for the last few years.

Recently, I've noticed it start to flicker and darken until the screen just goes black. It seems to me to be a problem with the backlight ???

If I fuck around with the various modes: game, custom, theater, etc...as soon as the problem starts, it will sometimes spring back to life for a couple minutes...this makes me feel like it's a software/FW prob.

I've updated the FW, tried every single settings tweak under the sun but it's still doing it. :blow_top:

Anyone here know stuff about TVs and common problems that might point me in the right direction to figure this out?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I can't say for certain, but issues like that are often a capacitor issue.

If you're lucky, sometimes you can search the model + capacitors/caps/cap kit, or your symptoms, and find a list of what to replace. I fixed a friend's old LCD that way, we just had to take out the power supply, replace two caps, and put it back together.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I can't say for certain, but issues like that are often a capacitor issue.

If you're lucky, sometimes you can search the model + capacitors/caps/cap kit, or your symptoms, and find a list of what to replace. I fixed a friend's old LCD that way, we just had to take out the power supply, replace two caps, and put it back together.

that would be rad if it's that simple...I'll look into that - thanks!

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Sounds like caps, but if the TV has a "factory reset"...try that. My Samsung 4K OLED was having software issues. Constant crashing and freezing of all the internal streaming apps. A factory reset solved the issue.

No promises that's what will help you, but its worth a shot since it's free and doesn't take much time at all

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
On Samsung (including previous and current gen ones) you have to name the output "PC" in order to make the backlight function normally. No idea about Hisense.