White MVS Baggies

Lukejaywalker23

Playa' From, Around The Way.,
Did Samurai Shodown 1 come with a white MVS bag or blue? I've seen kits with both colors and mine has a white one. IMG_20200121_162650~2.jpg

Is the bag bootleg?

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
Oh Christ no, this cannot be a "thing" can it? I mean, labels are one thing but the fricking bubblewrap it came in??? FFS!!

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
This is a guess OK but I would say NONE of the MVS games came in a white baggie originally. This would be because the blue and pink bubble wrap are anti-static whilst as far as I know, the white bubble wrap is not anti-static. One would think SNK shipped carts in anti-static bags

Lukejaywalker23

This is a guess OK but I would say NONE of the MVS games came in a white baggie originally. This would be because the blue and pink bubble wrap are anti-static whilst as far as I know, the white bubble wrap is not anti-static. One would think SNK shipped carts in anti-static bags

That would be my guess also. Thanks for confirming my assumption with another assumption.

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
Watermarking photos of plastic bags is a diligently cautious practice lest they fall into the wrong hands.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Oh Christ no, this cannot be a "thing" can it? I mean, labels are one thing but the fricking bubblewrap it came in??? FFS!!

Yes it's a thing for no other reason then some people have nothing better to buy with their money.

Edit: Just to add to the point. It's fucking bubble wrap.

You can find the shit at any arts and crafts store.

The ones SNK used were just that.

There wasn't any Neo*Geo logo on them.

There wasn't any special sealant used.

It's the same stupid shit as people trying to put a value to plastic baggies for the home cart manuals. It's fucking stupid and there was nothing that made these special or collectable. You can easily fabricate the bubble wrap to however you want it to be to fit the product you're protecting.

If the color of the bubble wrap is such an OCD thing for you then by god do what makes you happy but threads like this is why this hobby has gone to shit over the years. It's not the games, It's what they come in now which make them more valuable.

Last edited:

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
I get what most people here a complaing about, *but* from a documenting process prospective, it is important to keep track of such information. IIRC, japanese ASOII had pink bubblewrap, Viewpoint white...thrash rally I believe the same (I have to check) and so on, most variants where around 1991/92/93 probably. It's a bit of information that comes with the game, like the release date or recalls, or whatever the story of the game was.

So to say, I wouldn't dismiss so easily trying to be accurate, even when replacing stuff...it is information that would be lost, and like all information about a dead system, that would be a shame IMO.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I get what most people here a complaing about, *but* from a documenting process prospective, it is important to keep track of such information. IIRC, japanese ASOII had pink bubblewrap, Viewpoint white...thrash rally I believe the same (I have to check) and so on, most variants where around 1991/92/93 probably. It's a bit of information that comes with the game, like the release date or recalls, or whatever the story of the game was.

So to say, I wouldn't dismiss so easily trying to be accurate, even when replacing stuff...it is information that would be lost, and like all information about a dead system, that would be a shame IMO.

Somehow I feel like the moment "muh gaem preservation" becomes a reality with serious institutions doing it, even then it's gonna be some useless ignored detail. "What material did Van Gogh use to wrap his oil paintings for transport?"

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member

And even so what's to stop someone from counterfeiting these?

Nothing.

Documenting is fine but it's the assholes trying to put a monetary value to these which really fuck things up. lol

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Somehow I feel like the moment "muh gaem preservation" becomes a reality with serious institutions doing it, even then it's gonna be some useless ignored detail. "What material did Van Gogh use to wrap his oil paintings for transport?"

The institution is the community, and thanks to serious collectors we can enjoy many information about the neo, information that would be lost if it was for people like you....frankly, if you think is useless, doesn't mean it is.

Viewpoint said:
And even so what's to stop someone from counterfeiting these?

Nothing.

Documenting is fine but it's the assholes trying to put a monetary value to these which really fuck things up. lol

duh...and where exactly I implied counterfeit is justified? I'm just saying these details are important, and shouldn't be dismissed just because people have the arrogance to think they know better.

Edit: also, this "neo-proletariat police" attitude is frankly annoying, especially coming from people who don't know shit.

Last edited:

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member

edit: (re-read original post never mind)

just to reiterate, white/pink baggies were a thing, especially in early titles.

Last edited:

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Who's trying to put a monetary value on it? My man is tripping

There has been many a member here actually tying to put a value on baggies many a time over the years. This isn't the 1st time this has come up along with fucktards listing home carts as complete with the manual baggie as an upselling point to push the value even higher.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
duh...and where exactly I implied counterfeit is justified? I'm just saying these details are important, and shouldn't be dismissed just because people have the arrogance to think they know better.

That's the issue. You yourself might not think it's justified but there are many people here who wouldn't think twice about ripping people off with fake shit.

Dion alone was one of the reasons so many carts started to get "freaked". Nobody knew better back then since the internet was still in it's infancy & people like him, Chris Mullins, Chris Ray & many other assholes took advantage of people for hundreds if not thousands of dollars including Shawn himself who also got taken for a ride.

Edit: also, this "neo-proletariat police" attitude is frankly annoying, especially coming from people who don't know shit.

I've literally had almost every single home and MVS cart pass thru my hands over the years outside of Euro Kizuna but hey, I can only tell you that while you're a guy who's obviously an honest dude, there are fucking scumbags who would take advantage of you without a second thought.

The baggies I've seen is just one ways that people have trying to inflate the value of their collections. You can document it sure but don't think for a moment there's someone not lurking in the shadows ready to start a business off people's OCD problems.

And yes to clarify again, There have been people on these forums trying to place a value on these bubble wrap baggies.

If anything with all hobbies I'm sure the bubble *See what I did there?!?* will burst sooner or later but as with home carts being costly back in the day when they were new releases, Seeing them now at the 9k to 12k mark on some of the more rarer titles is just outlandishly fucking stupid.

Last edited:

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Viewpoint, I appreciate your concern about scammers/flippers and all the negative people revolving around this hobby, I really do.

Said that, I don't see really how this applies with OP. He asked for an information, and the reactions have been "ffss, it's just baggies!" "just play the game!" "do something more constructive with your money" lines .. this is the "neo-proletariat police" I was referring to, like immediately telling people "the value of money" and what to do with it, is becoming a sport here, derailing systematically even normal conversations...it smells of trying to bring down everyone to the lowest denominator, just because some people can't do better (even if it means dismissing information in the process).

Also, looks you are taking my words like I'm somehow in contrast with your anti baggie-speculation crusade, which, for the second time, I'm telling you I'm not.
To reply to your point, just because people speculate over it, you can't denigrate the consistency of collecting complete/period correct stuff, including the manual baggies, which btw differed through time, same as for the MVS baggies...or the early vinyl boxes (taller/shorter)...all this stuff is sometimes the only information to tell print runs and shouldn't be swapped if possible, even less dismissed as marginal...it is not.

Please don't take the following as a provocative comment, quite the contrary, but if you had such encyclopedic experience with Japanese MVSs, please take some time to document the baggie colors for all the games...*that* would be quite useful, as clearly it is an area where information is still partial.

Edit:

kudos to Lukejaywalker23 for how he replied every comment so far, owning pretty much all of them.

Last edited:

Lukejaywalker23

There has been many a member here actually tying to put a value on baggies many a time over the years. This isn't the 1st time this has come up along with fucktards listing home carts as complete with the manual baggie as an upselling point to push the value even higher.

You do know that I'm just asking if it's the correct bag because I've never seen anyone else with a white bag in a SS kit right?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I don't think the point is to pretend that the bag is special or put a monetary value on it. If I bought a game new 30 years ago and still have the original packaging the way that it came, then that game is an unadulterated minty original, and I can take pride in the fact that it's original. The type of bag may not have an intrinsic value, but it does to me.

In the same way, when buying a used game, you can either buy it in the original condition it was sold from the factory, or with modifications done to it to fix it up (replacement label, mismatched serials, EPROM repairs, etc). It still has value, but you're not collecting it the way it was originally sold back in the day.

It certainly doesn't matter to everyone, but it is different than the way the game company originally made it, historically speaking.

Last edited: