Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Arcade1up CES 2020 Booth Tour

mini cab, bartop, Pinball.... :drool:

Last edited:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
While the #1 excuse I see for these is "Space".

I'm finding a lot of ppl that have space for plenty of regular cabs yet they are dropping over $800+ dollars in mods on 1ups. Yet the build quality and materials are still very subpar and there are plenty of companies that make stronger 3/4 scale machines.

Rather sad when you see a 1up MKII converted to JAMMA for a MK4 pcb ($300+), with a $200 art kit, cheap Amazon PSU, desk fan used inside as a cooling fan, clone video converter, and more.

At that point and if you love MK, there are 3/4 Midway ready to assemble cabinets out there with 3/4" wood or stronger 1/2" MDF.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I know it's a novel idea but there's this thing called a raspberry pi and it plays all of these games on your large tv and it even allows you to use a joystick!

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Arcade1up CES 2020 Booth Tour

mini cab, bartop, Pinball.... :drool:

I only quickly scrubbed through the video, but was there a neogeo/big red/goldie related scale cabinet in that video at all or did I just miss it?

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
I've been tempted, because I have always wanted a cabinet and anything I have ever seen locally has either been in horrendous shape and/or seriously overpriced.

What I would really like is an Arkanoid cocktail, if I could ever find one for a decent cost in good condition.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
You remember the Duck Tales arcade from back in the day? I don't, either.

How about Wrestle War, Altered Beast or Shinobi 4-player? Nope.

Still, I'd beat on the Final Fight one if it was $75 or less. I love Final Fight.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
The NBA Jam one having online play is actually appealing.

The fiancé and I have already discussed when we have a bigger space, to allocate places for cabs again. She also wants pinball. I kinda want video pinball for her because I don’t feel like repairing parts on those. I’m pretty versed in arcade cabs, but pinball is totally foreign to me.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I think these things as mentioned aren't all that. The video pinball machine looks interesting though. If they used pinball tables from visual pinball that might be cool. I have a feeling they will be shit. Not getting my hopes up.

gameofyou

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
I have the Arcade1Up Star Wars cab, and have been pleased with it. They did a good job duplicating the flight yoke.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I have the Arcade1Up Star Wars cab, and have been pleased with it. They did a good job duplicating the flight yoke.

That one I’ve heard good reviews on from people I actually trust. Their QC has gotten better since first introduced.

I honestly kind of want their TMNT one, but I’m not sure yet. Partially because I’m still extremely skeptical, partially because I don’t exactly give enough of a shit to get a proper cab for 4 player beatem ups.

LonelyWarbler

Crazed MVS Addict
The price of Arcade1Up's stuff is really strange. The quality didn't seem worth 400USD at all. Especially to play one non-original game.

rodolfocm

Another Striker
The price of Arcade1Up's stuff is really strange. The quality didn't seem worth 400USD at all. Especially to play one non-original game.

People don't buy stuff only for the quality. It's the perceived value that really tells consumers if that's worth the price.

DeWitt

n00b
I don't get why they build these cabs are sooo small?! Look at the guy at 5:37

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

I had to fully reassemble the one I bought with wood glue as it was coming apart. Ive also had to replace the monitor which went out, the panel art which wore off and the PCB which overheated for no apparent reason. This was after less the then 3 months and maybe a combined 2 hours of use. After multiple phone calls and speaking with "managers" who accused me of requesting spare parts to sell on eBay, they finally did sort out the issues. They blamed it on me buying a launch model. $299.99 well spent. This company and all of their products are a fucking joke.

KardiaK

n00b

Foot print and cost i'd guess. They've sold the casual consumers on the size being playable but not taking up a ton of space in a house or apartment. Playing against another person on the SF2 cab was a bit tight to put it lightly.

Kid Fenris

Quiz Detective
10 Year Member
It's interesting to see Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder in there, since Sega's otherwise ignored it for decades. It didn't even get an Ages revamp.

DeWitt

n00b
Foot print and cost i'd guess. They've sold the casual consumers on the size being playable but not taking up a ton of space in a house or apartment. Playing against another person on the SF2 cab was a bit tight to put it lightly.

You are probably right! Maybe with my 1,96m just a bit to tall for this kind of cab. I really enjoy the size of old cabs and they could be also just a bit higher for me^^

LonelyWarbler

Crazed MVS Addict
I had to fully reassemble the one I bought with wood glue as it was coming apart. Ive also had to replace the monitor which went out, the panel art which wore off and the PCB which overheated for no apparent reason. This was after less the then 3 months and maybe a combined 2 hours of use. After multiple phone calls and speaking with "managers" who accused me of requesting spare parts to sell on eBay, they finally did sort out the issues. They blamed it on me buying a launch model. $299.99 well spent. This company and all of their products are a fucking joke.

Sounds awful. Its a sign something is wrong when there is a market for spare parts on ebay for an officially supported product.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

Have you ever transported a standard arcade cabinet? They barely make it through most doorways, and they are dangerously heavy even without the CRT.
Scaling down substantially reduces weight. It's more practical to have it smaller.

These don't really appeal to me either, but the market is clearly there.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Have you ever transported a standard arcade cabinet? They barely make it through most doorways, and they are dangerously heavy even without the CRT.
Scaling down substantially reduces weight. It's more practical to have it smaller.

These don't really appeal to me either, but the market is clearly there.

This. I moved about 6 months ago and getting the astro down my stairs was a pain the ass. The MVU wasn't as bad. Fuck moving cabs.

I'm not in the market for these either but I'm thinking it's the convenience plug and play factor that makes them appealing. They could make them slightly taller and wider, bigger screen without making them a pain to move around. I think they are too small. Nice for little kids.

People are hacking these things and changing almost all the parts on them to make them better. They clearly are built cheap. Don't know why anyone would want one these unless they are looking to gut it and do something custom. Would make sense if you could pick one up on the cheap.

I'll go play some Revenge of Death Adder on my RPI 55 inch tv setup.

Last edited:

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
The real reason that they're not full sized is that it changes the licensing. If you have a full sized cabinet, you basically have to pay the same license as you would to have an arcade machine that you could actually put into an arcade in the wild. It's more expensive for that license, so they didn't get it, and you end up with these turds.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
The real reason that they're not full sized is that it changes the licensing. If you have a full sized cabinet, you basically have to pay the same license as you would to have an arcade machine that you could actually put into an arcade in the wild. It's more expensive for that license, so they didn't get it, and you end up with these turds.

That is 200% bullshit. The license fee goes up when it's set up for pay to play.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
That is 200% bullshit. The license fee goes up when it's set up for pay to play.

Yeah the company literally said this is the reason why but it's bullshit. You realize that these are just emulators and some of their games literally don't even have free play modes (like Rampage), right? Okay chump.