CES 2020 (Arcade1up)

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I think these things as mentioned aren't all that. The video pinball machine looks interesting though. If they used pinball tables from visual pinball that might be cool. I have a feeling they will be shit. Not getting my hopes up.

It runs Zen, thus the Williams License. At least the pin has a realistic looking bezel. I can't see them going for under $500 and likely $700. imo a waste when you can buy a early solid state player's condition real pinball for $1000 still.

Yeah the company literally said this is the reason why but it's bullshit.

Perhaps you should explain instead of acting like a total moron. It's under the constraints of a "Toy license" and that isn't the total reason either. They did 3/4 scale for retail accessibility, space, and shit material to make it for $100 or less and capitalize on rose-tinted morons buying it overpriced.

You are also referring to a Company that has a record of lying and paying for positive reviews, but that's besides the point.

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Yeah the company literally said this is the reason why but it's bullshit. You realize that these are just emulators and some of their games literally don't even have free play modes (like Rampage), right? Okay chump.

Considering I own one, yeah I realize it's an emulator. Also, sport, I don't care if that's the bullshit this company is spreading, it's not real. That's not how licensing works.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
Considering I own one, yeah I realize it's an emulator. Also, sport, I don't care if that's the bullshit this company is spreading, it's not real. That's not how licensing works.

The licensing changes when they're full size, and any of these machines could have the software settings changed to take quarters. You lose.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
The licensing changes when they're full size, and any of these machines could have the software settings changed to take quarters. You lose.

Does the license fee change if you put it on the base? You're making shit up to sound cool on neo geo. Yeah... I lose.

After you're done fixing metal slug 2 are you gonna set up the 1ups to take quarters chief?

Last edited:

bulbousbeard

Does the license fee change if you put it on the base? You're making shit up to sound cool on neo geo. Yeah... I lose.

After you're done fixing metal slug 2 are you gonna set up the 1ips to take quarters chief?

Why don't you send them an e-mail so you can read their explanation yourself? Given that they've actually gone through the licensing process they PROBABLY know more than some white trash drunk on a Neo Geo forum.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
It runs Zen, thus the Williams License. At least the pin has a realistic looking bezel. I can't see them going for under $500 and likely $700. imo a waste when you can buy a early solid state player's condition real pinball for $1000 still.

I would have preferred if they put the screen closer to the glass and not made it so deep. I would love to have a quality virtual pinball table but they are a bit pricey. I dont think this is for me. One table for $500-700 is a bit high. I doubt it's going to be quality either. Attack from Mars is the shit though.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Why don't you send them an e-mail so you can read their explanation yourself? Given that they've actually gone through the licensing process they PROBABLY know more than some white trash drunk on a Neo Geo forum.

I've exchanged 27 emails with Tastemakers according to my inbox and I've also called them enough times to know their hold music by heart. This company reuses the same UPS shipping label for customer returns, one that has the return address of a random guy from CT who doesn't even work for the company. (Yes I've talked to him as well). They sell bullshit.
I'm glad you're buying it. You have no idea what you're talking about....again. It's a recurring trend for you here.

Last edited:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
With the riser it actually meets the size of a cabaret and why they can't get some of the other manufacturers. Yet, you are still a moron Bulb, its under a Toy License, get your head out of your ass.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Too busy banging away on that Metal Slug port for PC. No time to do research on how to get his head out of his own ass. Would rather tell you MAME is the best thing ever and you should use his Big Blue Frontend.

LonelyWarbler

Crazed MVS Addict

Any machine can be set up to take quarters. Licensing doesn't work that way at all. The company is either lying or you misunderstood something. License is based on use.

DeWitt

n00b
Have you ever transported a standard arcade cabinet? They barely make it through most doorways, and they are dangerously heavy even without the CRT.
Scaling down substantially reduces weight. It's more practical to have it smaller.

These don't really appeal to me either, but the market is clearly there.

Oh yes I did! I hat to carry my neo geo cab to the first floor. It's quite heavy of course. But it's worth it I can stand up right in front of it with no back pain after playing for a while :)

Last edited:

Licensing Changes to whatever the IP owner wants to. they could have a made up license category for specific arcade cabinet sizes.

Like: "license for category 5 ft tall has been sold to Arcade1up, but license for category 4.5ft tall is available".

lordnikon

Another Striker
I was at CES 2020.

I had never played these cabs before. So when I happened upon Arcade1Up's booth I was anxious to see how they played and started up a match of Marvel Super Heroes.

The lag stack is just too much. The delay was extremly noticeable. Even my friend who doesn't even play games, walked over before I had a chance to say something, and asked me if it felt sluggish.

I am sure most of the lag is coming from the emulation + AllWinner 1ghz single core ARM CPU, with a bit more sprinkled on from the display/control input. But... is a Raspberry Pi really any better in terms of performance?

I play almost entirely on original hardware with CRT/SDTVs, and just so happeened to be playing a lot of Marvel vs Street Fighter on Saturn with a HSS-0130 Astro City Twin Arcade stick the week before flying out to Vegas. So the lag stood out to me instantly. I guess I need to experiment with a Pi or even more emulation on a PC to get a feel for how latency scales across platforms.

The units also have other quality control issues. The plastic overlay on the controls was bowing/warped upwards on multiple cabs, by as much as 7mm. Its flopping up and down as you press buttons delivering a cheap experience. Also Super Street Fighter II Turbo lacks a speed control option at char select (wut?), and the cab has 1 mono speaker with the game set to stereo. So you miss audio from the other channel.

Personally I felt the Arcade1UP cabs played like dogshit and feel sorry for anyone dragging this stuff into their home.

Why are people willing to pay hundreds of dollars for these cash grab nostagia "it was my childhood" piles of cheap wood and plastic, and yet a Genesis + Everdrive cart and a 13" SDTV is supposedly out of reach or too impractical?

I just don't get it. People are stupid.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I am sure most of the lag is coming from the emulation + AllWinner 1ghz single core ARM CPU, with a bit more sprinkled on from the display/control input. But... is a Raspberry Pi really any better in terms of performance?

Out of the box no, but with a Pi you can configure options with most of the emulators to reduce lag, and if you pair it with a display that's lagless it's close enough that only the most anal can tell a difference.

bulbousbeard

I was at CES 2020.

I had never played these cabs before. So when I happened upon Arcade1Up's booth I was anxious to see how they played and started up a match of Marvel Super Heroes.

The lag stack is just too much. The delay was extremly noticeable. Even my friend who doesn't even play games, walked over before I had a chance to say something, and asked me if it felt sluggish.

I play almost entirely on original hardware with CRT/SDTVs, and just so happeened to be playing a lot of Marvel vs Street Fighter on Saturn with a HSS-0130 Astro City Twin Arcade stick the week before flying out to Vegas. So the lag stood out to me instantly. I guess I need to experiment with a Pi or even more emulation on a PC to get a feel for how latency scales across platforms.

The units also have other quality control issues. The plastic overlay on the controls was bowing/warped upwards on multiple cabs, by as much as 7mm. Its flopping up and down as you press buttons delivering a cheap experience. Also Super Street Fighter II Turbo lacks a speed control option at char select (wut?), and the cab has 1 mono speaker with the game set to stereo. So you miss audio from the other channel.

Personally I felt the Arcade1UP cabs played like dogshit and feel sorry for anyone dragging this stuff into their home.

Why are people willing to pay hundreds of dollars for these cash grab nostagia "it was my childhood" piles of cheap wood and plastic, and yet a Genesis + Everdrive cart and a 13" SDTV is supposedly out of reach or too impractical?

You're not going to get good input latency with emulation unless you run with vsync off, get a variable refresh monitor, or use GroovyMAME with a CRT and a high framedelay setting. Anything short of that is a waste of time.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
You're not going to get good input latency with emulation unless you run with vsync off, get a variable refresh monitor, or use GroovyMAME with a CRT and a high framedelay setting. Anything short of that is a waste of time.

Your previous comments are a waste of time.

gameofyou

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
I was at CES 2020.

I don’t notice lag in the Marvel cab. Most casual gamers probably won’t either. You can pick the Arcade1Up cabs pretty cheap, if you find them on sale. I’ve seen Space Invaders as low as $75. They look cool in a game room, and have nice artwork. They are something anyone can play, if you have people over. With a riser (most come with these included now, I think) it is a good height for stand-up play. They are not for everyone, though.

I think where they make the most sense, is when they release a cab with non-standard controls (like Star Wars). I’m not really looking to buy another cab, but I would be tempted by a lightgun (say House of the Dead) cabinet if they ever released one.

bulbousbeard

I don’t notice lag in the Marvel cab. Most casual gamers probably won’t either. You can pick the Arcade1Up cabs pretty cheap, if you find them on sale. I’ve seen Space Invaders as low as $75. They look cool in a game room, and have nice artwork. They are something anyone can play, if you have people over. With a riser (most come with these included now, I think) it is a good height for stand-up play. They are not for everyone, though.

I think where they make the most sense, is when they release a cab with non-standard controls (like Star Wars). I’m not really looking to buy another cab, but I would be tempted by a lightgun (say House of the Dead) cabinet if they ever released one.

Even though a lot of people around here are psychos that claim they can discern differences they actually can't, they're right in this case. The lag on those things is perceptible to even a casual.

lordnikon

Another Striker
I don’t notice lag in the Marvel cab. Most casual gamers probably won’t either.
Great then more people at NeoGAF can own their own mock arcade cabs so they can relive their childhood days of playing Pac-Man at Pizza Hut. Maybe they also loved "SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1" (PS2/Wii/PSP) and thought it was Game of the Year.

I am under the assumption most users at Neo HYPHEN Geo.com have higher standards where this type of ignorance is bliss mentality towards nostalgia-ware is generally unacceptable.

Setting aside the ability to subjectively perceive lag while playing, if you are willing to settle on an inferior game experience in the face of widely agreed upon information, how can you appreciate gaming when it IS authentic, accurate, and lag-free?

How can you appreciate chocolate if you think shit tastes the same? Even after someone tells you "Yo... that's shit. You're eating shit!" You just shrug and keep on chewing?

Don't do this. Raise your standards. Eat real chocolate.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Great then more people at NeoGAF can own their own mock arcade cabs so they can relive their childhood days of playing Pac-Man at Pizza Hut. Maybe they also loved "SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1" (PS2/Wii/PSP) and thought it was Game of the Year.

I am under the assumption most users at Neo HYPHEN Geo.com have higher standards where this type of ignorance is bliss mentality towards nostalgia-ware is generally unacceptable.

Setting aside the ability to subjectively perceive lag while playing, if you are willing to settle on an inferior game experience in the face of widely agreed upon information, how can you appreciate gaming when it IS authentic, accurate, and lag-free?

How can you appreciate chocolate if you think shit tastes the same? Even after someone tells you "Yo... that's shit. You're eating shit!" You just shrug and keep on chewing?

I like Choclate but Godiva really isn't my thing. I'm more a Lindt kind of guy.

bulbousbeard

The other can of worms that I haven't seen people talking about but is definitely an issue is AUDIO LATENCY. There is blatant audio latency on the Arcade 1up machines. Even a vanilla MAME setup on a high end PC has noticeable audio latency. You have to use PortAudio with one of the exclusive mode APIs (WASAPI etc.) to get low audio latency with emulators on the PC.

Yeah I really want to press an attack and perceive a noticeable delay before the sound effect for it plays. Great experience.

Basically, you're right. 9 out of 10 emulation setups out there completely BLOW, almost no one knows how to configure them properly, and that's why the whole thing gets such a bad wrap.