Thread: Fixing Up some Fight Stick Neos

New Challenger

Fixing Up some Fight Stick Neos

I recently got two hori Fight Stick Neos in rough shape. They function, but most of the buttons and both sticks need replacing. I canít seem to find a definitive answer as to what stick and what buttons best fit inside the shell. Iíve seen pictures and videos of people who have modded them, but Iím still in the dark. It was after a few days of looking that I remembered I had an account here(life got tough and I had to step away from all game stuff for a long while).
    Does anyone know what would be best? I couldnít find exactly what I was looking for via the search function. But if it was hidden somewhere, I apologize for not being able to find it.
    I also plan to hopefully buff out some of the cosmetic damage and have an MVS style overlay made to place on top. Does anybody have a template for the fight stick neo? If not, I could probably make one up

Who?

Hi buddy
    I ve modded mine ages ago, but I can tell you that I could fit right away a stick from a PS1 Ascii one. works wonders still today.

New Challenger

Quote Originally Posted by Atro View Post
    Hi buddy
    I ve modded mine ages ago, but I can tell you that I could fit right away a stick from a PS1 Ascii one. works wonders still today.
    Thanks did the heads up, man. Did you mean one like this? Itís the first one I found on eBay. Is the quality good? ED67FAEA-55FF-413E-874C-98957374AF9D.jpeg

The current controllers I use are a stock base AES stick and the bean shaped one. So similar or better sticks would be nice for this mod/restore.

Kyo's Flame
    Sunnyvale, CA http://www.twitch.tv/danadamkof

Try the LS-56, you can fit one cleanly by cutting the stick a bit rather than the case: https://twitter.com/DanAdamKOF/statu...29986652639232

Worked fine for me in a Fighting Stick PS.

Kyo's Flame

Sorry for the double-post but I cannot edit my posts.

Also wanted to say, 30mm snap-ins from Sanwa or Seimitsu should work, you may have to bend the legs outwards so they don't protrude against the bottom. Again that worked fine for a Fighting Stick PS.

Who?

Quote Originally Posted by saturntubes View Post
    Thanks did the heads up, man. Did you mean one like this? It’s the first one I found on eBay. Is the quality good? ED67FAEA-55FF-413E-874C-98957374AF9D.jpeg

The current controllers I use are a stock base AES stick and the bean shaped one. So similar or better sticks would be nice for this mod/restore.
    Nope. it was a flater one.

New Challenger

Interesting, I’ll order one and try it out. Worst case, I’ll repurpose it’s for something else down the line. I figured 30mm Sanwas would be the buttons, and my buddy has a fair amount lying around, so I’ll try those out as well.

In looking into one of those ASCII sticks Atro mentioned as well. If I can get one in the $20 range it might be worth it over ordering a new stick. I’ll do trial and error and post the results.

New Challenger

STUPIDITY UPDATE

I never expected this to be the first update. I left one of the Fight Stick Bro’s at my buddy’s workshop while I was waiting for some of the parts to arrive. In my absence and without my consent, he took it upon himself to butcher my controller because he assumed a stick I was not going to use was the stick intended to go in. But it wouldn’t fit, so he dremeled the screw holes out.
    6B1E81A5-1894-41A6-86B6-BFF0FEC3D7C2.jpeg
    DB4EA470-E7F1-4D31-8178-BE93C846FAD6.jpeg

Now I have to figure out how to save this controller from not being a useless shell thanks to him. Anyone know what I could possibly do to fix this? I guess I need to measure new screw holes
    Last edited by saturntubes; 01-29-2020 at 11:41 AM.

That looks awful. Good luck.

I have one of these sticks. I feature it in some of my videos, but mine's in bad shape too. It seems to have chemical or cigarette burns in addition to the scratches, but I cleaned it and it works great.

Kyo's Flame

I took this approach when installing a LS56 into a Fighting Stick PS before:
    Remove the mounting plate from the stick, lay down some masking tape, and use the plate to trace the holes onto the top of the inner plastic layer (measure and check a bunch to make sure you're tracing the holes on straight and not crooked, you want your stick to sit straight after all).
    Drill out those holes to fit the screws for the mounting plate, and countersink them until the screws sit flush (doesn't need to be perfectly flush, but it should be close to flush).
    Install the LS56 without the plate to the body of the stick.
    Swap the Hori shaft and actuator into the LS56 since its shaft is too long. You can shave down the Seimitsu actuator to fit on the Hori shaft if you wish. You could also shorten the Seimitsu shaft but I haven't done this before.

Kyo's Flame

Sorry for the double-post but I cannot edit my posts. Meant to mention, the steps I listed are preceded by Dremeling that inner area of the stick flat (as yours has been), and the holes you trace onto the stick from the plate are the 4 holes that join the plate to the LS56.

Quote Originally Posted by DanAdamKOF View Post
    Sorry for the double-post but I cannot edit my posts.
    We are fighting for you in the War Room: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showth...r-pettiest-mod

I never expected this to be the first update. I left one of the Fight Stick Broís at my buddyís workshop while I was waiting for some of the parts to arrive. In my absence and without my consent, he took it upon himself to butcher my controller because he assumed a stick I was not going to use was the stick intended to go in. But it wouldnít fit, so he dremeled the screw holes out.
    Kill him.

Now I have to figure out how to save this controller from not being a useless shell thanks to him. Anyone know what I could possibly do to fix this? I guess I need to measure new screw holes
    Best guess, replicate the original mounting points with a 3D printed bracket. Alternatively, measure the height of the posts in your unaltered stick housing, and epoxy a few blocks of wood, cut to fit, with holes drilled to take over in the shell that's missing them.

New Challenger

Quote Originally Posted by DanAdamKOF View Post
    I took this approach when installing a LS56 into a Fighting Stick PS before:
    Remove the mounting plate from the stick, lay down some masking tape, and use the plate to trace the holes onto the top of the inner plastic layer (measure and check a bunch to make sure you're tracing the holes on straight and not crooked, you want your stick to sit straight after all).
    Drill out those holes to fit the screws for the mounting plate, and countersink them until the screws sit flush (doesn't need to be perfectly flush, but it should be close to flush).
    Install the LS56 without the plate to the body of the stick.
    Swap the Hori shaft and actuator into the LS56 since its shaft is too long. You can shave down the Seimitsu actuator to fit on the Hori shaft if you wish. You could also shorten the Seimitsu shaft but I haven't done this before.
    Thanks for the idea.

I used the plate from the other stick and an unused mailing label to crate this crude stencil. It worked and I got perfectly measured holes drilled into the shell.(picture is crooked because it’s after I drilled the holes and removed it once. The holes themselves are straight)

D5E3129F-7939-4752-AED3-D97F5ED3B75B.jpeg

The problem? The screws are too short to reach the stick now, and the only specialty store in my area that might carry these screws is closed until Monday
    Last edited by saturntubes; 02-02-2020 at 01:57 AM.

Thread Information