Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fixing Up some Fight Stick Neos

I’ve never been a fan of semitsu, they just don’t feel right to me. But the best part of arcade hardware is that it’s all preference

Bashful Neophyte

Quote Originally Posted by shadowsfollow View Post
    separate the grounds accordingly so the inputs don't conflict, there's a reason for it to be the way it was originally. When there's a common ground line which is most of the time, you can daisy chain grounds all day but when you have different diodes between ground lines and what have you they are "separated" and thus the need for separated ground lines for your buttons. Hope that helps.
    Thanks for the explanation. I probably shouldíve known better but at least itís an easy fix. Had to reopen it anyway cause I forgot to tighten down the ball top

^ Nice, you know, if you wanted to get ambitious in the future, sanding and painting that top should be a breeze. I've seen some real nice projects done with them.

Quote Originally Posted by saturntubes View Post
    I’ve never been a fan of semitsu, they just don’t feel right to me. But the best part of arcade hardware is that it’s all preference
    Yeah, it's all a matter of preference. In my case I like having different setups. Not just Seimitsu and Sanwa, although my favorites, I like other stuff too, Korean hardware is fun to tinker with, american style stuff is also a fun time. So much stuff out there to just settle in one camp.

Thing is, I used to prefer Happ/IL over everything because it's what I knew to be the best in the arcades at the time, then I got into Sanwa and didn't care for anything else. The problem was when it was time to play on different hardware competitively I was a wreck. Most Neo candies use Seimitsu hardware, same for old Sega cabs and so on, so I decided to do one setup with Seimitsu just to see what the deal is and that was the gateway to other hardware. I feel playing with a variety of hardware made me more versatile as a player and more appreciative towards the engineering of it.

I’ve never felt that there’s a “wrong” controller or hardware to use, just preference. The only reason I don’t use the Neo Geo CD pad, which would normally be my ideal controller, is because they break too frequently.

I used the same grease I use on levers for the Neo CD Pads and it made a real difference. If proficient with soldering one could replace the D-pad switches, I need more practice for that project. The powder found inside them is due to the friction between the 4 directional actuators and in time the grit get's in the switch making it less snappy.

B. Jenet's Firstmate

Quote Originally Posted by shadowsfollow View Post
    I used the same grease I use on levers for the Neo CD Pads and it made a real difference. If proficient with soldering one could replace the D-pad switches.
    The problem is that the CD pad microswitches are not an off the shelf part. I have experimented using a few different types and sizes as replacements but they never feel the same. Best You can do is take 2 broken ones and make a working one out of both of them. At least you will have replacement parts if it goes out again.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusX View Post
    The problem is that the CD pad microswitches are not an off the shelf part. I have experimented using a few different types and sizes as replacements but they never feel the same. Best You can do is take 2 broken ones and make a working one out of both of them. At least you will have replacement parts if it goes out again.
    It also doesn’t help that they wear out quickly. I’ve never been a fan of arcade sticks personally, neo geo is the only time I ever use them solely because of those damn micro switches.
    And layout wise, I find the two rows much easier to use when playing KoF

Bashful Neophyte

8AA3FF89-D14A-43AE-80AB-BBD8AA61FFFE.jpeg. Made some changes to the bean. Hell of a lot of work inside there but worth it in the end

Rugal's Thug

Quote Originally Posted by madwindoman View Post
    8AA3FF89-D14A-43AE-80AB-BBD8AA61FFFE.jpeg. Made some changes to the bean. Hell of a lot of work inside there but worth it in the end
    Don't know the previous state of the controller but those select and start buttons make baby Jesus cry.

Virus has really delayed any work on this for a lot of reasons.

How did you mod the bean?

Bashful Neophyte

Quote Originally Posted by saturntubes View Post
    Virus has really delayed any work on this for a lot of reasons.

How did you mod the bean?
    24 mm sanwa snap ins(the start and select ones are clones). Also a lil joystick extension and a red ball top. I was trying to use the original start and select buttons but I muffed up the board so had to go with plan b. Itís a pleasure to use now for beat em ups and run n guns.

Thread Information