Neotris, a new puzzle game for the Neo·Geo!

defalt

Cheng's Errand Boy
Hello everyone,

Neotris is a new Neo·Geo puzzle game, a Tetris-like that adds some new gameplay features, including a very, very special one I'll talk about in a bit.
It is developed by FlashLogic/Totologic, a member of the Yaronet forums. I've met him a couple of times, at 2 conventions, the Stunfest and the Retro Gaming Connexion 2019.

Let's talk gameplay; One of the features Neotris introduces is called the Interlock, and works like this:

interlock.png

Its purpose is to create an alternative to the "T-spin" method, making it a bit easier, and also feasible using all available pieces.

Here is a 2P gameplay video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyTE8SbS1sM

Now, here's the very special feature that Neotris introduces. A feature never seen in any Neo·Geo homebrew game, and in only one official game: the game supports 4 players!

Here's an old 4P gameplay video, hopefully we'll get a new one soon because there have been some nice improvements:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip3C9AR56KU

FlashLogic, Neotris' developer, made the game 4 player compatible by creating a multitap:

renderngcom.png

Here's the latest, and probably final version:

ngcom final.jpg

The final version will not be 3d printed but made from molded/injected ABS.

The game will be available soon in AES format, with 50 Japanese games and 50 Export/US games. An MVS version is very likely, and if it is made, it will be released soon after the AES one.

The AES version will come with a snaplock box, cover, sticker, and a full-color manual. It is very likely that everything will be offset-printed (best feasible quality, which nowadays offers a quaity even better than original games), same for the MVS version whick will come as a full kit (cardboard box and artset with 2 mini marquees, move strips, DIP sheet and flyers).

You can follow this project on the official Facebook page: www.facebook.com/NeotrisAES

I will also keep you updated on these boards, which should happen quite often as the game is now around 90% complete.

Attachments

• 2019-08-23 14.55.53.jpg
    2019-08-23 14.55.53.jpg
    779 KB · Views: 527
  • hubrender.png
    hubrender.png
    430.8 KB · Views: 516
  • proto_04_1.jpg
    proto_04_1.jpg
    796.6 KB · Views: 526

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
When will the home cart pre-orders open? Will there be US and JP versions?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This looks cool and all, but you can't expect those of us who pay $300+ for physical carts of homebrew to keep going forever. At some point each of us will have decide where to get off the homebrew train, and this may be it for me, sorry. This should be a free rom.

I was FLOORED to discover recently that most of the NES homebrew I had been hearing about were not available as roms. I realize people want to get paid, but if you want me to care, then these should all be free games. There is simply too much glut for everyone to wade through now.

Okay, I will pay $10-15 for a rom. The way Micro Mages was done on Steam is a good example of the right way to do it. I will happily support something reasonable like that.

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I would be interested in a Rom for MVS or CD but doubt I would pay for an original cart or crazy money at that.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
This looks cool and all, but you can't expect those of us who pay $300+ for physical carts of homebrew to keep going forever. At some point each of us will have decide where to get off the homebrew train, and this may be it for me, sorry. This should be a free rom.

I was FLOORED to discover recently that most of the NES homebrew I had been hearing about were not available as roms. I realize people want to get paid, but if you want me to care, then these should all be free games. There is simply too much glut for everyone to wade through now.

Okay, I will pay $10-15 for a rom. The way Micro Mages was done on Steam is a good example of the right way to do it. I will happily support something reasonable like that.

I think it kind of depends on the quality of the game. If something is good enough that it could have been sold on the system back in the day then sure, charge for carts. If it looks a AOL freeware game from 1993, then yeah don't bother.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I think it kind of depends on the quality of the game. If something is good enough that it could have been sold on the system back in the day then sure, charge for carts. If it looks a AOL freeware game from 1993, then yeah don't bother.

Exactly. If you want the big bucks, at least put in some effort to make it worthy of a Neo Geo release.

WNivek

Overtop Pathfinder
Will this game only work with its own multitap accessory, or would it also support the NEO-FTC1B board?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I think we all know why this is on neo geo and not any other old console... :thevt:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I think we all know why this is on neo geo and not any other old console... :thevt:

No I think you'll find that the developer is just trying to bring a high quality tetris game with a challenge removing new playstyle to the Neo Geo for all of us retarded enough to waste money on.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Just go play Puyo Puyo or something, much cheaper and better made too.

defalt

Cheng's Errand Boy
Whoawhoawhoa.... please stop the :thevt: for a second.. First off, I'm not the developer, for those who didn't read.

By the way, Flashlogic told me that he was not aiming for a huge profit, so, if you had bad experiences with some guys selling an AOL online horse betting game from 1993 , -some more years, for a thousand bucks or another bad experience with some Germans taking three years to ship a game, then I promise to all of you that this won't happen. The developer is a serious guy, and I'll help him with shipping. I'm good at shipping.

If you don't want to buy it, no problem. There is already a beta ROM available on the Facebook page, and I'm sure the developer will either sell the ROMs or make them available once he got enough money to cover his production costs / sold the games. I'll ask him about this, and keep you updated. If you want, you can also ask him questions on the Facebook page.

Then, answers!

@Late: There will be 50 AES US copies and 50 Japanese copies. The developer will make a Kickstarter soon.

@WNivek: It will work with the included multitap, unfortunately not with the NEO-FTC1B as it is too rare to really be worthy to implement (although if I were the dev I'd have implemented support for SNK HW).

NexusX

Astra Superstar
I was FLOORED to discover recently that most of the NES homebrew I had been hearing about were not available as roms. I realize people want to get paid, but if you want me to care, then these should all be free games.

I think at this point in the days of flash carts available on almost all platforms (including the Neo) physical only community games should not be physical only. Yes you are gonna have ROM pirates but at least give the option available to pay the game devs $10-15 to support a release.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Whatever he does he better finish and sell his neo carts/roms before Pajitnov smells the faint odour of trademark infringiment.

Seriously, making a tetris clone and appending "-tris" to the title is only asking for trouble. Even free NES tetris homebrew get hit by their banhammer from time to time.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Whoawhoawhoa.... please stop the :thevt: for a second.. First off, I'm not the developer, for those who didn't read.

By the way, Flashlogic told me that he was not aiming for a huge profit, so, if you had bad experiences with some guys selling an AOL online horse betting game from 1993 , -some more years, for a thousand bucks or another bad experience with some Germans taking three years to ship a game, then I promise to all of you that this won't happen. The developer is a serious guy, and I'll help him with shipping. I'm good at shipping.

If you don't want to buy it, no problem. There is already a beta ROM available on the Facebook page, and I'm sure the developer will either sell the ROMs or make them available once he got enough money to cover his production costs / sold the games. I'll ask him about this, and keep you updated. If you want, you can also ask him questions on the Facebook page.

Then, answers!

@Late: There will be 50 AES US copies and 50 Japanese copies. The developer will make a Kickstarter soon.

@WNivek: It will work with the included multitap, unfortunately not with the NEO-FTC1B as it is too rare to really be worthy to implement (although if I were the dev I'd have implemented support for SNK HW).

Why only 50 of each? If the demand is higher, will he produce more?

I understand only making a limited number of a niche product. But I'm so tired of seeing shit purposely limited for the sake of "collectors". Like NG: Dev Team trash.

defalt

Cheng's Errand Boy
I'll tell him about the copyright issue. We can hope that they won't sue for a small run :/

@Niko: If someone wants the game they'll get it, no point making a game if people can't play it :) If the stuff is offset-printed, it won't even cost 30 more €s to print 200 inserts instead of 50.

-SD-

Camel Slug
I’d be more interested in a CD copy, or being able to purchase the ROM.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Whatever he chooses to do,IT WILL SELL. PERIOD.so that's nothing he should be worried about.BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME!
Thanks for bringing the info and that four player tap device looks cool!!
The developer should give the human player's characters to assume the identity of like Magical Drop.
BB

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
What shit load of shit. Send more money, retards.

Next game they should release is Nokia 5110 SnakeNeo.

Last edited:

defalt

Cheng's Errand Boy
What shit load of shit. Send more money, retards.

Next game they should release is Nokia 5110 SnakeNeo.

<Fe>
You fool, do you really think we have time for such an elaborated game? We'll make NeoPong® (Gold Edition™) first. And officially license it to NGF, of course.

NeoPong® Gold Edition™ will be available for the bargain price of 459,99€ at NeoAyato and Tokyotoyfactory ONLY. And at the CGE.
</Fe>

@BIG BEAR: I'll tell him about this idea! I think it would be really cool.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
All, I'm saying is there's a limit. I can't speak for the 'deep state' of Neo collectors who generally don't post here and will pre-order anything that gets announced for the Neo, regardless of the price, but for my segment of the market (whatever that is -- MVS collectors?) at least, or personally, you can't just treat the Neo community as a blank check. I always assumed we'd get to a place where Tetris and Pong homebrews were being made left and right, and the creators shouldn't expect us to keep buying expensive carts for them. The days of trying to have a cart of every attempt at a Neo game are ending for me, like I always assumed it would.

GohanX is exactly right that it's going to completely depend on the game.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Back in the days, Andro Dunos was considered an offense to Neo Geo standards. Now most of us only laugh about those past opinions and enjoy that gem, not to mention that a game like that, made by an indie team now, would sell immediately. Apparently, the lowest Neo Geo standards are nowadays beyond reach...

defalt

Cheng's Errand Boy
@Neo Alec: I completely understand this, it's also pretty much my case. I buy games only if I like them (unless I get a cheaper than normal AES cart). I also agree with GohanX, and when he says that as long as it's better than any og Neo game, the dev should make carts, well.. imo it's a thousand times better than Puzzled, the only comparable game on the system.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Well ,we already have BANG BEAD,FLIP SHOT, WINDJAMMERS and NEO PONG.
BB

<Fe>
You fool, do you really think we have time for such an elaborated game? We'll make NeoPong® (Gold Edition™) first. And officially license it to NGF, of course.

NeoPong® Gold Edition™ will be available for the bargain price of 459,99€ at NeoAyato and Tokyotoyfactory ONLY. And at the CGE.
</Fe>

@BIG BEAR: I'll tell him about this idea! I think it would be really cool.