Thread: Using Neo-Geo controller on other systems?

New Challenger

Using Neo-Geo controller on other systems?

So I have a couple of the brook controller adapters, one for PS3 to PS2 and one for PS3 to Neo-Geo. The Neo-Geo CD controller is my favorite controller of all time. I would love to use it on other systems but haven't found a converter. Has anyone ever used a Neo-Geo controller with a DB15 connector on another system?

I'm aware of the Neo-Geo pads made for PS3 and PS2 but they're both super expensive now. The PS2 one is a little less expensive but it's far less useful trying to use on other systems than the PS3 one. I imported one of the Neo-Geo mini pads before they were available in the US but sold it to a game store the exact same day it arrived when I realized there were no switches.

I figure with the right cables and an arduino a converter is possible to make, but I'm not sure how to program that. I'm curious if anyone has done it?

Also, I recognize this has the potential to be a bit of a technical topic, but didn't think it belonged in tech support. Feel free to move it if it does.
    Last edited by adaup1; 12-09-2019 at 02:50 AM.

I made some adapters for using Neo controllers on the Master System. But only because it was pin for pin and I had some terrible knock-off Genesis controllers I was able to use for the wires. If I needed a chip, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

For most systems I prefer to stick with the native controllers, but the SMS is one exception. Actually, I can name the other two exceptions: Atari 2600 and Xbox One for games that use the D-pad (the Xbox One D-pad is the most fragile I've ever seen).

Kyo's Flame
    Sunnyvale, CA http://www.twitch.tv/danadamkof

You could use a controller for the target console, which has a common GND PCB, and add a DB15 female jack to it.

Kyo's Flame
    Sunnyvale, CA http://www.twitch.tv/danadamkof

I can't edit my post, but I also wanted to add that this should belong in the Tech forum

Not long ago I put together an adapter to use Neo controllers on the Sega Genesis/Master system, the circuit is open source:

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/qSqtcGAw

And then I stuffed it in a custom 3D printed enclosure:

Formerly Raz_Hoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    Not long ago I put together an adapter to use Neo controllers on the Sega Genesis/Master system, the circuit is open source:

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/qSqtcGAw

And then I stuffed it in a custom 3D printed enclosure:

Do they sell these premade?

Unfortunately not. Gotta put one together yourself or have someone else make them for you. The PCB is pretty clearly marked though, just be sure to use a SOP style 74HC157 and 0805 package resistors/caps.

The CD-style pads work out okay on account of the button layout being squarish like the SNES over the Genesis side by side three, best with titles that have an isometric perspective and games that utilize just one or two buttons. Shoot-em-ups pair off pretty well with them too. I'm looking into modifying a Neo X stick to house a Seimitsu LS-40, so that will do double duty as a MVS and Sega stick for me.

That's a beautiful design.

Thread Information