Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 70 of 70

Thread: NeoGeo CD SD Loader

  1. #51
    Rugal's Thug

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    France

    Posts
    102
    The NGPC video out was a quick test to see what it would take. Doing the video conversion to analog isn't too hard but fitting everything in the console, or making a full consolizer kit like the one for GBA with HDMI was going to be a lot of work. Because of other projects, that didn't happen.

    Rattboi expressed interest in this a few months ago so I sent him my notes and the source file. He had some success in making it work on his end and getting a prototype board done, but I don't know if he's planning on selling kits in the future.

  2. #52
    Timid Neo Newbie
    THEAIRISFREE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Virginia

    Posts
    3
    Well i look forward to anything you develop, i eagerly await the ability to buy the sd loader ! I suppose the same goes for the wonderswan eh?

  3. #53
    Rugal's Thug

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    France

    Posts
    102

  4. #54
    Cham Cham's Banana
    Pinball's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    UK

    Posts
    152
    NeoSD AES Pro now includes ability to play Neo CD games (since Summer 2019 firmware update). Does this mean that this ODE project is no longer viable? That said, if it is sold I'd buy it :-) PM me and all that..

  5. #55
    N00b of Syougi Digmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Lolifoxgirl's basement

    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinball View Post
    NeoSD AES Pro now includes ability to play Neo CD games (since Summer 2019 firmware update). Does this mean that this ODE project is no longer viable? That said, if it is sold I'd buy it :-) PM me and all that..
    Why would this no longer be viable? Do you know the price of a NeoSD Pro? Do you know the AES and Neo Geo CD are two different consoles? Do you know that optical drive lasers die over time? Do you know how much cheaper this is over the NeoSD Pro? Seriously...

  6. #56
    Bashful Neophyte

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Greece

    Posts
    18
    ....and also not in stereo

  7. #57

    bwi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    England

    Posts
    448
    Had mine for nearly a month and its worked a charm. Can be picky with memory cards, but i'm chuffed as this systems cd board had died completely. Only downside is that it doesnt work with the unibios.
    Last edited by bwi; 06-07-2020 at 09:16 AM. Reason: bad spelling
    George is mine

  8. #58
    Galford's Armourer
    Burning Fight!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    North Korea (Brazil)

    Posts
    452
    Nice, just registered my email! Will be cool to use it for homebrewin'. Dunno how I missed this thread.

    Edit: You break my heart, man. Still, waiting for mine at the end of the queue.
    Last edited by Burning Fight!!; 06-08-2020 at 06:51 PM.
    Your signature cannot be longer than 100 characters including BB code markup.

  9. #59
    drunk downunder!
    aka. Muff Diver.
    lachlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    A Hard Earned Thirst

    Posts
    12,952
    Yeah I registered my email a couple months ago, hopefully this sees the light of day and then neocd consoles will rise in price.

  10. #60
    Galford's Armourer
    Burning Fight!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    North Korea (Brazil)

    Posts
    452
    Quote Originally Posted by lachlan View Post
    Yeah I registered my email a couple months ago, hopefully this sees the light of day and then neocd consoles will rise in price.
    It's not like there's anything SNK that hasn't ballooned in prices yet It's gonna be funny to see the regular toploader be more expensive than a CDZ in the months to come though.
    Your signature cannot be longer than 100 characters including BB code markup.

  11. #61
    Angel's Love Slave
    titchgamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom

    Posts
    1,055
    Quote Originally Posted by bwi View Post
    Had mine for nearly a month and its worked a charm. Can be picky with memory cards, but i'm chuffed as this systems cd board had died completely. Only downside is that it doesnt work with the unibios.
    Does it work with the unibios installed but no unibios features or will it not work at all?

  12. #62

    bwi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    England

    Posts
    448
    Im not 100% as when i got my kit i had it installed in my non-unibios system. I know they were going to look at resolving the problem. That is something for Raz and Furrtek to sort out themselves. Mine is the first PCB that cannot work with the cd installed ( i believe the 2nd which most other people will get can be installed on a system with its cd drive still in place).

    The only issue i had was copy protection games failed, i'm sure people know how to fix that
    George is mine

  13. #63
    Angel's Love Slave
    titchgamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom

    Posts
    1,055
    Quote Originally Posted by bwi View Post
    Im not 100% as when i got my kit i had it installed in my non-unibios system. I know they were going to look at resolving the problem. That is something for Raz and Furrtek to sort out themselves. Mine is the first PCB that cannot work with the cd installed ( i believe the 2nd which most other people will get can be installed on a system with its cd drive still in place).

    The only issue i had was copy protection games failed, i'm sure people know how to fix that
    Ahh ok cheers.

    I am having the same debate as to put it in my unibios or non unibios system.
    But I want to put it in my unibios system and keep the CD drive in ideally.

    Its currently in the post en route to me

  14. #64

    bwi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    England

    Posts
    448
    Im not 100% as when i got my kit i had it installed in my non-unibios system. I know they were going to look at resolving the problem. That is something for Raz and Furrtek to sort out themselves. Mine is the first PCB that cannot work with the cd installed ( i believe the 2nd which most other people will get can be installed on a system with its cd drive still in place).

    The only issue i had was copy protection games failed, i'm sure people know how to fix that

    neogeoSDsmall.jpg
    George is mine

  15. #65
    Rugal's Thug

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    France

    Posts
    102
    Short answer: It won't work at all with a Unibios installed.

    Long answer: It could be made to work with an installed Unibios but I'm afraid it would quickly become a mess. The loader dumps the console's BIOS to insert the menu, so that I don't have to distribute hacked up versions of the original BIOS. This means that the loader must handle the 3 possible versions of the original BIOS to use the right patch.

    Possible solution: The Unibios functionality could be inserted with the loader menu. This would have to be worked out with Raz.
    Both are commercial projects though, so coming to an agreement and dealing with the financial stuff could also become a headache...

    Other possible solution: I could maybe add cheats (the region setting is already available in the loader menu) but I also don't want that to impact Raz's sales.

    About the copy protection on some games: I have mixed feelings about having the loader itself remove the copy protections. For me it makes the difference between "selling a CD drive replacement" and "selling a CD drive replacement for pirated dumps". It could easily be added in a firmware update but right now I prefer having users take care of that theirselves

    @bwi: is that an old picture or did you keep one of the test firmwares ?
    Last edited by furrtek; 06-08-2020 at 03:20 PM.

  16. #66
    Angel's Love Slave
    titchgamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom

    Posts
    1,055
    Quote Originally Posted by furrtek View Post
    Short answer: It won't work at all with a Unibios installed.

    Long answer: It could be made to work with an installed Unibios but I'm afraid it would quickly become a mess. The loader dumps the console's BIOS to insert the menu, so that I don't have to distribute hacked up versions of the original BIOS. This means that the loader must handle the 3 possible versions of the original BIOS to use the right patch.

    Possible solution: The Unibios functionality could be inserted with the loader menu. This would have to be worked out with Raz.
    Both are commercial projects though, so coming to an agreement and dealing with the financial stuff could also become a headache...

    Other possible solution: I could maybe add cheats (the region setting is already available in the loader menu) but I also don't want that to impact Raz's sales.

    About the copy protection on some games: I have mixed feelings about having the loader itself remove the copy protections. For me it makes the difference between "selling a CD drive replacement" and "selling a CD drive replacement for pirated dumps". It could easily be added in a firmware update but right now I prefer having users take care of that theirselves

    @bwi: is that an old picture or did you keep one of the test firmwares ?
    Thanks for clearing that up, Will have to go in the original system then..

    As for Raz's sales, He is no longer selling the unibios and has offered it up for free.
    So maybe worth dropping him a message and asking him about implementation?

  17. #67

    bwi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    England

    Posts
    448
    Its an old picture, it's been updated to 0.4.

    As to the copy protection, i'm happy as it is as it keeps you on the legal side.
    George is mine

  18. #68
    Cham Cham's Banana
    Pinball's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    UK

    Posts
    152
    I've bought a NeoCD specifically for the SD Loader :-)

  19. #69
    Angel's Love Slave
    titchgamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    United Kingdom

    Posts
    1,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinball View Post
    I've bought a NeoCD specifically for the SD Loader :-)
    How much did that run you? I notice the prices have been climbing on them lately.
    I should be getting mine back from the modder in the next day or 2

  20. #70
    Cham Cham's Banana
    Pinball's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    UK

    Posts
    152
    98.00 all-in for a Japanese 60Hz console. Faulty CD board, but that matters not of course :-)

    The NeoSD AES Pro has a possible 51 CD games, which I've installed, but at least another 50 games to go, plus I've warmed to the NeoCD, partly as a result of this thread.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 2 guests)

  1. titchgamer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •