PSU repair

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Does anyone work on these now a days or are we at a point they are just disposable?

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Channelmaniac might? You would need to message him. A lot of SMPS can be repaired if badcaps.net is anything to go by. What type of power supplies anyhow? Unregulated (think AC adapters for old consoles), Linear (some arcade cabinets have this psu, like an Egret 2), and Switching (usually computer PSUs and cd based consoles/modern ones).

https://mcitransformer.com/power-supply-basics-part-1-unregulated-linear-regulated-linear/

My experience in repair has usually been capacitors or dry solder joints. I've fixed a few unregulated and switch mode just by simply doing what I listed above and diodes. Just be mindful if you do replace capacitors on SMPS to discharge them properly and replace with low ESR capacitors specifically made for switching power supplies.

- In any case here is a good guide on SMPS and their modes of failure by channelmaniac.

http://newlifegames.net/nlg/index.php?PHPSESSID=890f71ef082cc310ecfe4f7383d10674&topic=23.0

- a lot of good videos from my boomer senpai 12voltvideos on fixing them. Great youtube channel if you wanna learn how to fix stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ATVVideoProductions/search?query=switch+mode

In any case replacing a lot of these psus with brand new high quality replacements is just the more solid approach imo. With that said some PSUs cannot be so easily replaced (Sun-JVS, non-standard ones like Arcade Cabinets and some consoles, odd voltages, or SMPS in TV's/devices) without making a wiring harness or running into clearance issues. Sometimes repair is the only way.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
Ah ones of those. Everyone jizzes over those on klov but it isn't like its the only switch mode power supply. A lot of the arcade switch mode psus have copied its design though lol. From reading up those seemed to be one of the first high quality arcade switching power supplies. Any reason why you want to keep that one other than appeasing captain planet?

In any case below is a good guide on replacements. I saw you linked it on AP too but just thought I would link it here as well for posterity.

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?thread/10294-budget-arcade-power-supplies/&pageNo=1

I use two of the meanwell MWP-606 (one in my Egret2 and other in HAS). It has good quality capacitors overall and safety features as evident by the thread above. Even has oscilloscope readings of its ripple and load which all look extremely good. Doesn't even get hot when using it for long periods of time. RGB, maker of the HAS endorses this specific model.

tl;dr I doubt even a rebuilt 1987 peter chou could compete with a meanwell 606 in terms of safety. Only cost like $22+shipping to. To send this off to someone is probably going to cost in the upwards of $30-$50 if you're lucky.

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Yeah, that’s what I was thinking cost efficiency isn’t there. I was thinking about getting a couple meanwells.

ChuChu Flamingo

10 Year Member
Another benefit of going with a mean well MWP-606 is you can get a 3d printed enclosure to go over the screw terminals. I have one and its pretty awesome. Without that plastic cover you have live and neutral 120 AC via exposed metal screw terminals. Not that big of a deal inside a cabinet, but in a supergun setup could cause problems.

Also it doesn't squeal/hum under low load like other psus. If you read the thread there is some pretty bad ones out there, some even by meanwell themselves!

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
PSU repair is the one thing that, for whatever reason, scares me away.

If I do it right awesome. If I fuck it up...seems sketchy. I replace them when they go on me

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Seconding that PSU repair isn't really worth it in my opinion - unlike something like a monitor, new arcade PSUs are generally better made and that if you don't require any specific connectors or dimensions, you can find one that'll work well pretty cheaply.

That being said, if you've never recapped anything and would like to try, then go for it. If you have the right tools, it doesn't take that long and is a good skill to have

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I need to recap my Towns Marty PSU at some point. Caps are fine now but they are known for drying out