RGB/component issues with AES systems

The_jake

n00b
Having this issue with two systems. Color is mostly just green with some blue And some red but mostly green. Both systems are in the 100k range. Only happens when hooked up to RGB SCART via converter to component. Otherwise composite is fine.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Check your component cables, it looks like one isn't plugged in, or the red and blue are reversed.

The_jake

n00b
Ok so I checked the cables seem fine. Even took out the pc engine that I have that has the RGB mod using the same cable and it comes through fine. I can see maybe one system having a cap blown or something but both? Maybe it’s common idk. I guess I can crack the systems open

Last edited:

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
Just confirming, is the cable you are using designed for AES? My understanding is that the AES does all the signal processing for the RGB out on the board so the SCART connector should have no caps or resistors inline with the output. I tried to use my Genesis 1 SCART cable with the AES, and had trouble getting any signal from it, I wonder if it is something similar here.

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
For clarity, you can see the differences in my cables in these wiring diagrams:

thTGXVRM65.jpg
neogeo.png

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Check the pots on the component converter.

The_jake

n00b
Its definately the compatability with the tv. I have a similiar model sony to the one in that thread. Apparently, there's no luma sync cable for the neo just C-sync, so I would need to look into other options.

Last edited:

The_jake

n00b
Just confirming, is the cable you are using designed for AES? My understanding is that the AES does all the signal processing for the RGB out on the board so the SCART connector should have no caps or resistors inline with the output. I tried to use my Genesis 1 SCART cable with the AES, and had trouble getting any signal from it, I wonder if it is something similar here.

Not sure, it came with the pc engine. Which cable are you using?

Last edited:

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
Lol, I figured it out:

th.jpg

RGB are all on the wrong pins, I have the AES pinout in my previous post. Thank goodness Sync, GND and 5V share the same layout, that could have been bad.

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
With that, you are feeding:
AES Blue to SCART Green
AES Green to SCART AudioR
AES Red to SCART Red

More than likely you are getting messed up audio as well?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Its definately the compatability with the tv. I have a similiar model sony to the one in that thread. Apparently, there's no luma sync cable for the neo just C-sync, so I would need to look into other options.
How would the cable pull luma from the Neo? It has no s-video output from the factory.

Probably make sure your cable is wired for csync too, and not just sync on composite. I had to move the wire on my very old retrogamingcables one.

The_jake

n00b
That’s right. Not sure where I got that from. I believe retrogamingcables currently has aN RGB cable with csync.

How would the cable pull luma from the Neo? It has no s-video output from the factory.

Probably make sure your cable is wired for csync too, and not just sync on composite. I had to move the wire on my very old retrogamingcables one.

Last edited:

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
Damn it’s out of stock. It would be worth trying. I’m still not sure if the cable I have is c sync or not and if that’s the problem or the tv

Your TV support c-sync fine, otherwise the PCEngine wouldn't display, nor would the AES work over the composite cable. As mentioned in my other post, the PC Engine cable has a different pinout than AES, so you aren't hooking up the RGB correctly. From Retro-Access, you can always order custom cables for more expedited shipping (https://retro-access.com/collections/custom-cables). If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can open up the SCART end of the PC Engine cable and re-wire it for AES temporarily before spending money.

Given this:
scart-to-jp21-key.jpg

You'd want to:
Desolder pin 7 (blue)
Desolder pin 11 (green) -> resolder to pin 7 (blue)
Desolder pin 1 (audio right) -> resolder to pin 11 (green)
Tie pin 1 to pin 3 (send mono to both channels)

AES Blue to SCART Green
AES Green to SCART AudioR
AES Red to SCART Red

Last edited:

The_jake

n00b
Awesome thanks that cleared it up. I’m gonna just order the cable since I still use the pc engine regularly.

avramce

Kabuki Klasher
You wanna buy my SCART cable? I just got my HD retrovision AES cable and I think it works better for my setup rather than SCART. I can ship it out tomorrow if you'd like it

The_jake

n00b
Sure. Is that hd retro vision cable wires differently for the Neo than the standard one they have for the gen 2? Just out of curiosit would you run into the same problem as using a gen scart cable? . I had their cable but sold it bc I already had scart for most of the systems I have.

The_jake

n00b
They actually have a Gen2 to Neo Geo adapter that was just released a week ago (https://castlemaniagames.com/collections/neo-geo/products/hd-retrovision-neo-geo-a-v-port-adapter). PM incoming if you are interested in the Retro-Access SCART cable.

Oddly enough I had the hd retro with the Neo adapter and had the same problem. That’s why I was thinking the tv was the issue. I’m open to trying the scart but am thinking ultimately I’m going to end up getting a pvm for my setup.

The_jake

n00b
Just to follow up, I have since purchased an official SNK RGB cable. Now I'm just getting a red, rolling picture on the sony as opposed to the yellowed tinged, but fully visible issue with the others. Same on a samsung. Tested with two different AES systems and same result. Higher number serial systems, not that it should matter, but I would assume there would be less chance of a cap leaking causing this issue, especially on two different systems with the same exact color issues.

So, I have tried:
Official SNK cables
PC engine RGB
HD retrovision cable with neo geo adapter

Have had some kind of issue with all. The system works fine with composite cables. Frustrating, because I am now using RGB where possible on the systems that I have, and this is the only one that is giving me a hard time.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Post a pic of your neo geo motherboard. The early boards need to have the caps on the rgb lines replaced.