Exa-arcadia, the new neo geo?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
That and you were 11 years old.

Arcades are done as we knew them. Stop trying to make it happen again, it’s not going to happen. The roller coaster has moved on.
Yep. So that's why many of us have cabs or game rooms in our homes. Everyone just wants whatever they grew up with. You can't make other generations care. They have their other shit now.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
It's not bait. It's simply the truth. The Neo Geo is literally a toy. The hardware is complete crap compared to any 21st century PC. They're literally orders of magnitude more capable than it is.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
It's not bait. It's simply the truth. The Neo Geo is literally a toy. The hardware is complete crap compared to any 21st century PC. They're literally orders of magnitude more capable than it is.

We have yet to see anything you have made. It's not bait, it's simply the truth, you are literally a toy that bangs it's cymbals together. You are complete crap compared to anyone else on this site. Everyone is literally orders of magnitude more interesting than your drivel.

ULTRA 4TH GEN

Armored Scrum Object

Oh sure, that's why it was in force for 14 years in the market. I guess a "crap hardware" usually endures so much commercially.

bulbousbeard

Oh sure, that's why it was in force for 14 years in the market. I guess a "crap hardware" usually endures so much commercially.

Sure it does. Look at the Wii. That thing was a piece of crap from day one, and it is one of the most financially successful consoles of all time.

Hardware quality has nothing to do with longevity or financial success.

CPS2 hardware was crap too and lasted almost as long as the Neo Geo.

Taito F3 hardware, for example, kicked the living shit out of both the Neo Geo and CPS2 hardware but never caught on.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Sure it does. Look at the Wii. That thing was a piece of crap from day one, and it is one of the most financially successful consoles of all time.

CPS2 hardware was crap too and lasted almost as long as the Neo Geo.

Taito F3 hardware, for example, kicked the living shit out of both the Neo Geo and CPS2 hardware but never caught on.

Give a pencil to an artist and see what he does with it.
Your point is moot

ULTRA 4TH GEN

Armored Scrum Object

That's not true. A hardware ahead of its time has a lot to do with its commercial longevity. In the case of NEO-GEO AES already happened in 1998, 8 years after its appearance, still no console of that new era was able to emulate NEO-GEO games perfectly. That is the biggest test that destroys your argument. NEO-GEO AES was a hardware ahead of its time of departure, and it certainly had a lot to do with its long commercial life.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
How was the neo geo, a cartidge based 68k/z80 combo system 'ahead of it's time' ? I mean I know it was innovative in the coin-op sector and literally brought that to the home but I think it falls short of making fundamental changes to the industry as a whole. Hell I'd give the Sega Model 1 more credit in this regard.

ULTRA 4TH GEN

Armored Scrum Object
Other consoles were unable to take home that technical level in video games in 1990. Only 10/11 years after NEO-GEO AES appeared we began to see games that matched that 1990 console.

SNK the future is now: A motto quite consistent with what this console offered in 1990.

fucked_king

New Challenger
How was the neo geo, a cartidge based 68k/z80 combo system 'ahead of it's time' ? I mean I know it was innovative in the coin-op sector and literally brought that to the home but I think it falls short of making fundamental changes to the industry as a whole. Hell I'd give the Sega Model 1 more credit in this regard.

It was ahead of its time because it could handle more sprites on screen than anything else from that era and load them instantly from huge ROMs.

Of course it was not the most powerful at everything, even the SNES has Mode 7 that the Neo Geo lacks. But if you just want lots of sprite animations the Neo Geo was king.

It took a long time for home consoles to match that feature, even the Dreamcast port of Fast Striker has cuts in animation. The PSX couldn't come close.

I actually think the closest parallel today is the 3DS. Every current system is much more powerful than the 3DS but none of them can run a 3DS game exactly like the original hardware because they lack the autostereoscopic display. 3DS is also the oldest console on the market still supported by the manufacturer.

Last edited:

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Timezone just opened a huge place in my city. True story.

There must be some money in arcades nowadays...

LonelyWarbler

Crazed MVS Addict
Timezone just opened a huge place in my city. True story.

There must be some money in arcades nowadays...

I didn't know Timezone was international. Timezone refurbished the arcade next to my house. Arcades are still popular but they focus on immersive stuff like racing games, dancing, and VR more now. They have to offer something more than whats possible at home to justify the price per play.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I didn't know Timezone was international. Timezone refurbished the arcade next to my house. Arcades are still popular but they focus on immersive stuff like racing games, dancing, and VR more now. They have to offer something more than whats possible at home to justify the price per play.

Timezone was founded in 1978 in Perth, Australia. Lol

bulbousbeard

That's not true. A hardware ahead of its time has a lot to do with its commercial longevity. In the case of NEO-GEO AES already happened in 1998, 8 years after its appearance, still no console of that new era was able to emulate NEO-GEO games perfectly. That is the biggest test that destroys your argument. NEO-GEO AES was a hardware ahead of its time of departure, and it certainly had a lot to do with its long commercial life.

That's horseshit for many reasons. The Neo Geo wasn't even an advanced system technologically. As others have said, Sega and Namco hardware were WAY ahead of it. The Saturn with a RAM cart could do anything the Neo Geo could do and more. The Neo Geo was garbage compared to Saturn hardware. Even CPS3 hardware kicked the shit out of it. You couldn't even do SF3 on the Neo Geo. Hell, you technically could't even do SF2 on the Neo Geo because it doesn't run at a high enough resolution for it.

The only thing that made the Neo Geo stand out was the willingness to spend a lot of money on large ROMs.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
That's horseshit for many reasons. The Neo Geo wasn't even an advanced system technologically. As others have said, Sega and Namco hardware were WAY ahead of it. The Saturn with a RAM cart could do anything the Neo Geo could do and more. The Neo Geo was garbage compared to Saturn hardware. Even CPS3 hardware kicked the shit out of it. You couldn't even do SF3 on the Neo Geo. Hell, you technically could't even do SF2 on the Neo Geo because it doesn't run at a high enough resolution for it.

Why are you comparing CPSIII Hardware 1996, Sega Saturn hardware 1994, against MVS / AES in 1990?

MVS/AES: Hardware 1990 - 1997. Software: 1990 - 2004
CPSIII: Hardware/Software 1996 - 1999
Sega Saturn: 1994 - 2000

The Neo Geo outlived both regardless of technology differences you dumb fuck.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid

The only thing that made the Neo Geo stand out was the willingness to spend a lot of money on large ROMs.

So you mean to tell me, that the Saturn with the RAM cart could run Metal Slug with all frames, (it didn't by the way), Waku Waku 7 would have pixel perfect backgrounds, (once again it didn't). Or are you just gonna chalk it up to SNK programmers being shit? I know that you are the greatest game programmer ever and can run circles around anyone at SNK, but dude you're an idiot.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
So you mean to tell me, that the Saturn with the RAM cart could run Metal Slug with all frames, (it didn't by the way), Waku Waku 7 would have pixel perfect backgrounds, (once again it didn't). Or are you just gonna chalk it up to SNK programmers being shit? I know that you are the greatest game programmer ever and can run circles around anyone at SNK, but dude you're an idiot.

I heard he likes boys, too.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

Ho ho settle down, I never said the Neo Geo wasn't a technologically advanced system, I said it wasn't necessarily from a hardware context ahead of it's time. It was it's implementation that was revolutionary to the game industry for which nothing really broke the barrier between Arcade and the Home until much later on.

Stop comparing things from more than half a decade later, bulbousbitch.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

Of course the Saturn had capabilities that the Neo didn't, but you're saying that the Saturn with the RAM cart could do anything the Neo could? I think you've really overplayed your hand this time.

ULTRA 4TH GEN

Armored Scrum Object
:lolz:

Of course, it is an honor for me that a puppy like you cites me for not being able to make a SHIT like this "exa-arcadia".
Long live NGDEV!

Stay tuned, animal, and you will have your prize.:mr_t:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
:lolz:

Of course, it is an honor for me that a puppy like you cites me for not being able to make a SHIT like this "exa-arcadia".
Long live NGDEV!

Stay tuned, animal, and you will have your prize.:mr_t:

I thought you were going to stop reading our posts? Hahahaha