Exa-arcadia, the new neo geo?

Yoshi

20 Year Member
the news section is for threads pertaining neo geo, not only snk.

exa arcadia could be a new neo geo and shares some features of the snk mvs machine.
So, despite the fact that it isn't made by SNK, doesn't have any SNK games on it, and has absolutely nothing to do with the Neo Geo, it pertains to Neo Geo because of some new age, touchy feely bullshit. Thanks for clearing that up. That definitely fits better than "The place to discuss all other arcade hardware and software" and the thread that has existed for nine months.

Last edited:

FTL

AES Price Guide Analyst, International Moderator,
Staff member
has absolutely nothing to do with the Neo Geo, it pertains to Neo Geo because of some new age, touchy feely bullshit. .

Exa producers said they hope it will be the new neo geo and snk and other developers are looking at it as a possible future machine for their games. Sunsoft and other companies already have games ready.

The idea is just the same neo geo mvs was: a cheap and easy way for operators to buy games and revitalize the arcade scene, instead of forking out huge amounts to buy dedicated arcade machines.

As you see, there is more than meets the eye.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Exa producers said they hope it will be the new neo geo and snk and other developers are looking at it as a possible future machine for their games. Sunsoft and other companies already have games ready.

The idea is just the same neo geo mvs was: a cheap and easy way for operators to buy games and revitalize the arcade scene, instead of forking out huge amounts to buy dedicated arcade machines.

Again, I see your point, but you are talking about a "spiritual" successor, not an SNK/Neo news ...again, the thread would be better under general discussion, until SNK and EXA comes with an official statement about it being the new neogeo, we are still talking about Atomiswave level of connection.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

How come you never bothered to update the Aes and Mvs price guide? The last update was in 2009.

ULTRA 4TH GEN

Armored Scrum Object
The fact you consistently talk about the "value" of your purchase shows me that you care a lot about what something costs...No one cares.♥

Have a nice day

The fact you consistenly talk about my purchases, even on a thread about this expensive machine wich is nothing related about my PAL games, shows me that you care a lot about what I collect... You care too much.
Look:

Says the guy who buys crappy pal versions of crappy games.

Have a 'crappy' day. Enjoy your tone.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
The fact you consistenly talk about my purchases, even on a thread about this expensive machine wich is nothing related about my PAL games, shows me that you care a lot about what I collect... You care too much.
Look:

Have a 'crappy' day. Enjoy your tone.

Look at you, I told you to have a nice day and you take a crap on me. Once again, this hardware is not for you, keep buying your overpriced pal games and let people buy arcade hardware. Have a nice day.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Y'all really need to move on with your interests, New Neo Geo? C'mon that fucking world is gone! No one gives a shit about a new arcade system except the niche crowd of arcade enthusiasts and arcade operators looking to boost revenue. The way I look at it is this :

1. SNK hasn't said shit about it being the second coming
2. The lineup is emulating old ass ideas of what sells well today
3. It's high cost and limited exposure ( arcades are dead! ) Will doom it's aspirations.
4. It's a repackaged Taito Type X, PC based system with 'cartidges' which you could see as being nothing other than glorified USB sticks.

I don't get what the interest is in this thing.

Doom

Crossed Swords Squire
At that price point in this day and age where arcades are almost all gone, this isn't going to go very far imo. Some of the games look legitimately good though.

ULTRA 4TH GEN

Armored Scrum Object
keep buying your overpriced pal games and let people buy arcade hardware.

People can buy arcade hardware or whatever they want. No one here has said otherwise, stop having fantasies ... But despite this, I can say this thing is very expensive, and that is why you have to start talking about my games my collection etc, that has nothing to do with this thread. The subconscious betrays us sometimes.
Have a nice day and don't forget the pill three times a day.

FTL

AES Price Guide Analyst, International Moderator,
Staff member
Y'all really need to move on with your interests, New Neo Geo? C'mon that fucking world is gone! No one gives a shit about a new arcade system except the niche crowd of arcade enthusiasts and arcade operators looking to boost revenue. The way I look at it is this :

1. SNK hasn't said shit about it being the second coming
2. The lineup is emulating old ass ideas of what sells well today
3. It's high cost and limited exposure ( arcades are dead! ) Will doom it's aspirations.
4. It's a repackaged Taito Type X, PC based system with 'cartidges' which you could see as being nothing other than glorified USB sticks.

I don't get what the interest is in this thing.

I agree with most of your points: times change and arcades are sure a thing from the past. People's minds do change and gaming experience is now a portable experience.

Anyway, if you look at it in a dynamic perspective, the neo geo could be out of the grave if arcade operators would actually discover exa arcadia profitable like neo geo mvs worldwide was back in the days: cheap but fun games that would acutally attract all the arcade players fanbase.

The real neo geo was of course the spirit and the essence of the mvs system: great games that reached players worldwide; just to say one neo geo was a huge success in China and even in Korea. Kizuna encounter, as en example, was a great hit in Korea.
Putting the above scenario in nowadays perspective makes me wonder if the arcades could be revitalized by a new neo geo.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The fundamental barrier has been broken, the future of gaming has moved away from the raw power of bespoke arcade systems and moved on to the home console and PC. We all love the Neo Geo because it broke that barrier earlier than expected but it's a rare thing, it can't be manufactured like this Exa.

I'm not sure a barrier like that exists today. There may never be anything like the Neo Geo again and that's what makes it special.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Which I pointed out in my thread in the correct place nine months ago:

The net is that this is as close to a 21st Century MVS as we're likely to get.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
The fundamental barrier has been broken, the future of gaming has moved away from the raw power of bespoke arcade systems and moved on to the home console and PC. We all love the Neo Geo because it broke that barrier earlier than expected but it's a rare thing, it can't be manufactured like this Exa.

I'm not sure a barrier like that exists today. There may never be anything like the Neo Geo again and that's what makes it special.

Perfectly stated.
The arcades stopped being the leading edge way back when Sony & Microsoft entered & took over the console arena. They turned Sega into a third party developer for God’s sake. The damage is done & the social gaming culture has completely changed. It’s all about home consoles, portable gaming, and cell phones now. And it’s impossible to ever go back. Communication of information is instant and public. Anticipation is diminished by impatience. And instant gratification coupled with rampant piracy eliminates any possibility of elusiveness.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Perfectly stated.
The arcades stopped being the leading edge way back when Sony & Microsoft entered & took over the console arena. They turned Sega into a third party developer for God’s sake. The damage is done & the social gaming culture has completely changed. It’s all about home consoles, portable gaming, and cell phones now. And it’s impossible to ever go back. Communication of information is instant and public. Anticipation is diminished by impatience. And instant gratification coupled with rampant piracy eliminates any possibility of elusiveness.

^ This, a billion times.

Just look at the evolution of how gaming changed through time:

First, you needed to get your ass to your local arcade, wait in line for your turn if there are other people playing and then get your quarter in and finally play the game.

Next up, consoles, with limited power which had borked conversions of arcade games (Neo-Geo being, of course, the huge difference): you can play games as much as you like, without waiting for your turn and without dragging your ass outside your house.

Finally consoles caught up with arcade hardware and there were no more good reasons to go to an arcade as arcade exclusives stopped being produced.

Then came emulation and thanks to MAME we could play all the arcade exclusives on our own PC.

Last step, mobile gaming: having the games always with you, wherever and whenever you want it.

The only thing to do to revive arcades is dramatically changing the gaming community's mentality and push arcade exclusive games again, just like EXA is doing.

And I don't see this happening, honestly, though good luck to them.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I suspect that the up to 4 games in one unit is what's drawing the comparisons with Neo Geo.

I still go to arcades for the social aspects, food and beer, and playing on the original hardware/cabs. I don't frequent arcades though so my opinion can be taken with a grain of salt.

Gaoh

New Challenger
Yeah SNK's time has come up and gone, but does anybody go out and have fun once in a while? ever been inside a Dave and Busters, Chuck E Cheese, Peter Piper's Pizza????

The arcade experience has gone immersive, my kids love playing the Mario kart arcade game despite the fact they have all the Mario karts game at home, same thing with the ghostbusters/luigi's mansion arcade games, Tomb raider even has a first person shooter based cab, granted my favorite cab is the star wars pod with legit flight sticks control and the round screen to simulate a cockpit, they still make a decent amount of money TBH, getting out of the house to win tickets for in house credit like those places is legit, I mean they can release this arcade and people will pay it if need be, heck I will leave my house and try it out if it's worth it, it's all not doom and gloom and granted we are exposed to more games than ever now, but there's still fun to be had out there.

My city of course is different granted we do have a diversions that still has the old school arcade even snk cabs in there but that's about it now the market is more niched to say the least.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Yeah SNK's time has come up and gone, but does anybody go out and have fun once in a while? ever been inside a Dave and Busters, Chuck E Cheese, Peter Piper's Pizza????

The arcade experience has gone immersive, my kids love playing the Mario kart arcade game despite the fact they have all the Mario karts game at home, same thing with the ghostbusters/luigi's mansion arcade games, Tomb raider even has a first person shooter based cab, granted my favorite cab is the star wars pod with legit flight sticks control and the round screen to simulate a cockpit, they still make a decent amount of money TBH, getting out of the house to win tickets for in house credit like those places is legit, I mean they can release this arcade and people will pay it if need be, heck I will leave my house and try it out if it's worth it, it's all not doom and gloom and granted we are exposed to more games than ever now, but there's still fun to be had out there.

My city of course is different granted we do have a diversions that still has the old school arcade even snk cabs in there but that's about it now the market is more niched to say the least.

Taito and some others were right on the money all those years ago when they predicted plain games wouldn't be viable anymore with 16-bit consoles, that "amusement park ride" style cabs would be needed to keep the coin-op market alive. I can't see anyone buying stuff other than redemption games and cabs you have to physically 'enter' to play in the west anymore. The proof on this is that you still see Neo cabs from time to time (merely because of market penetration and how many of those were sold everywhere) but the bulk of coin operated "old game stuff" you get to find in the wild in 2019 are racing game cabs, especially the ones without too many fancy stuff to maintain (like just a seat, wheel and pedals) like the Cruisin' series, Sega Rally, Daytona USA, etc.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Arcades generally suck now. My work sometimes does happy hour at Dave & Busters, and there isn't a classic game in sight. All Raw Thrills and ticket redemption games. I wish the place was more like the Tilt arcade in Arizona that Retail Archaeology showed on Youtube. That place has a second floor full of pinball machines and 80's and 90's games.

The surge of new bar arcades is encouraging though.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
We just got a bar arcade that opened up here a few weeks ago, but it turns out it's a lot more bar and very little arcade. I guess it's cool if you want to play Pac Man and pay $5 for a Princess Peach themed alcoholic drink.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
In order to remain relevant, arcades will have to offer an experience (or an enhanced experience) that can't be reproduced at home. Linked Daytona cabinets were always fun, and is something that would require a lot of space to reproduce. Online gaming doesn't provide the same experience as playing a game with a bunch of friends in physical proximity (actually, one of the things that seems to be missing these days is local multiplayer games that support more than 4 players).

When I was a kid, my family used to travel a lot, and the first thing my brother and I would do was find the 'game room' that most hotels used to have back then. Restaurants were always better if they had a couple of arcade cabinets. I think the main reason we enjoyed arcades so much was because the games were always far superior to what we could play at home, and in many cases the games weren't available at home at all (at least, not for many months). My university even had some cabinets just down the hall from the largest lecture rooms, and I remember skipping class to play Strider. Good times! :)

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Some of the games show camel toe, i guess that's cool.

Burning Blade

Crazed MVS Addict
Yeah, but still, imagine paying close to 5k to play this:
466110_screenshots_20180208191401_1-1024x576.jpg

:lolz:

I actually demo’ed these in 2018 at CalExtreme, and at the very least The Kung Fu VS Karate Champ was simply awful. I played with another guy and we were just dying laughing at how shit the game was. They basically had all the knock off martial artists of any fame in the game, and the gameplay was weak as fuck. I’m actually surprised to see these actually coming out. I do remember one of the bullet hell games being decent, but I’m no expert on those games so it could be amazing or terrible I don’t know. Hard hard pass for me.
Shit I may still have one of their pamphlets from CalExtreme laying around.

It looks cool but pretty expensive. You could buy a serious computer or even a car for one of these kits. Sure, you could say that about many Neo-Geo AES games today but none of them originally launched with an MSRP in the thousands range.

It's almost impossible to recreate that wow factor of the Neo-Geo though because back then home conversions paled to to the perfection of the AES releases. The Dreamcast was the last system to still have that wow factor as playing arcade games at home goes.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
Neo-Neo-Geo? Hardly, lol. That's just yet another arcade board (and probably some filthy x86-64 PC board at that).

edit: to be quite honest I'm warming up to the idea after reading more about it. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Filthy x86-64 PC? Bug off. The Neo Geo is a sack of shit compared to a 15 year old refurbished Dell workstation.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
It's almost impossible to recreate that wow factor of the Neo-Geo though because back then home conversions paled to to the perfection of the AES releases. The Dreamcast was the last system to still have that wow factor as playing arcade games at home goes.

That and you were 11 years old.

Arcades are done as we knew them. Stop trying to make it happen again, it’s not going to happen. The roller coaster has moved on.