The struggle to not cash in on Neo Geo AES consoles and games..

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I would have to agree with you, it was Bullshit. I don’t feel good about it..

I’m just at war with myself when it comes to collecting Neo Geo at the moment. I make no excuse for that crappy move though.

I told you. If you're not sure, don't do it.

Pinball

Kula's Candy
Sell everything and keep a Retrobeast 40TB (it is a thing)? I'd rather keep everything but am admittedly a klepto :-)

Yamazaki

Belnar Institute Student
15 Year Member
This.

If you have a big enough disposable income and enough room to store everything - why sell it?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Last night on a whim I set up a Raspberry Pi emu thing to run on my SDTV through component at the systems' native resolution. I played through a few Neo games like Metal Slug, Samurai Shodown, etc, which I had just played on the real Neo home system sitting right next to it. I couldn't really tell much of a difference, except that on the Pi the image was a bit better and the controller selection is nicer. Using the real system is getting harder to justify.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Last night on a whim I set up a Raspberry Pi emu thing to run on my SDTV through component at the systems' native resolution. I played through a few Neo games like Metal Slug, Samurai Shodown, etc, which I had just played on the real Neo home system sitting right next to it. I couldn't really tell much of a difference, except that on the Pi the image was a bit better and the controller selection is nicer. Using the real system is getting harder to justify.

Word up

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
It's actually pretty easy. If you can afford to keep the collection why sell it?

If you just want to play the games get a NeoSD or use MAME.

mein deutscher bruder du hast recht! Greetings from an ethnic german who lives in “Amerika”

I’m not in financial struggle or anything. It’s more my future wife nagging me about having too many games I don’t use. However maybe I should counter with “ we will have to sell some of your designer purses you don’t use then” .

Her sister use to have a big crush on me, worst case I’ll tell her “ I don’t think your sister would care if I had these many games.” However that would be my last resort as I would not get any sex for awhile after that trick.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I’m not in financial struggle or anything. It’s more my future wife nagging me about having too many games I don’t use. However maybe I should counter with “ we will have to sell some of your designer purses you don’t use then” .

You both could be right!

My desire to get rid of stuff has more to do with decluttering than financial gain.

Rig

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I don't have an AES, but I have an MVS and 30+ games.
Then, there's 30+ consoles and 1000+ videogames in the rest of the collection.

I've considered tossing it, once or twice. Hell, 99% of it is in storage in a home that I don't live in!
Still, I don't *need* the money. If my wife or child needed super-expensive-life-or-death surgery (or something), yeah, they'd be on eBay in minutes.

Otherwise, I'm comfortable. We have good jobs, and a growing family, and have no debt.
I figure, eventually I'll get a place where I can have a game room, and when I die, my family/kids can either keep what they want, or profit off the rest.

EDIT: And, also, one additional thought. I certainly wouldn't consider a firesale on my stuff until I knew my (current and future) children didn't have any interest in it. I hope they do. Part of the magic would definitely come back if I got to sit and play retro consoles and such with my kids. But, if they don't care for it, eh, no worries either.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You both could be right!

My desire to get rid of stuff has more to do with decluttering than financial gain.

Cleaning house feels good and the beer money that comes from it is a real motivator.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Cleaning house feels good and the beer money that comes from it is a real motivator.
This is the opposite of a motivator. Giving up my games for something disposable like beer would make me feel bad, especially later when I realize I drank my games and only have a hangover and extra pounds to show for it.

I bought a house with space specifically to store and play my games. This was the dream for many years.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
This is the opposite of a motivator. Giving up my games for something disposable like beer would make me feel bad, especially later when I realize I drank my games and only have a hangover and extra pounds to show for it.

I bought a house with space specifically to store and play my games. This was the dream for many years.

It wasn't for the beer, its much more about doing away with mountains of material possesions that do nothing but hold you down. Case in point, you bought a house with your collection in mind.

red impact

Crossed Swords Squire
Been there and back (and came out the other side several times).

If the ‘magic’ has gone then it’s time, that being said if you don’t ‘need’ to then why not hold on for a little longer.

Kef9

Crossed Swords Squire
For me playing on an emulator is not the same as playing on the real deal. There is a difference in feeling which means that I will never sell my games. Also if I did there would be no way I could get those same games back. My collection includes a complete us sets of KOF, Fatal Fury and AOF so hopefully you can see where I am coming from. I’m also making sure the kids will want them when I’ve gone aswell by playing on the system with them and generating those childhood memories which will hopefully mean that their future is secure. If they don’t want them I’ve thought about sticking them in a gaming museum.

I can understand why people would get rid though. I can clearly see how possessions can corrupt and my aim in life is to get rid of all mine by the time of retirement. Who wants a load of shit when it just weighs you down.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
It wasn't for the beer, its much more about doing away with mountains of material possesions that do nothing but hold you down. Case in point, you bought a house with your collection in mind.
You make it sound like such a bad thing. I've had my games packed away in boxes for years, and the dream was always to get my own space where I can arrange things the way I want, a dream that my wife always supported. Now that I've got a game room, I'm living the dream. Every man deserves his own private paradise if possible, and this is mine.

I don't rule out the idea that some day I will want to get rid of my stuff. But for now, I'm not there.

If they don’t want them I’ve thought about sticking them in a gaming museum.
That's always been my idea too for my brothers' and my collections, but honestly, the world only needs so many gaming museums made out of peoples' private collections. Some already exist, and the amount of people who care will go down over time.

I think some of our games will become antiques. The price of some will never drop due to sheer rarity, despite the decrease in people coveting them as they die off.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You make it sound like such a bad thing. I've had my games packed away in boxes for years, and the dream was always to get my own space where I can arrange things the way I want, a dream that my wife always supported. Now that I've got a game room, I'm living the dream. Every man deserves his own private paradise if possible, and this is mine.

I don't rule out the idea that some day I will want to get rid of my stuff. But for now, I'm not there.

When you realise you've lost interest in it all, it becomes a burden. I guess for me that's what happened. Now I have a new private paradise, minimalist in nature. You make a good point, this private paradise, and who am I to argue with yours.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I had a discussion with the S/O this morning over brunch. I enjoy HAVING my games, so I won’t sell. But like I said before, once I have everything running ISO/ROM I won’t be looking back. They’re going into storage.

I used to enjoy the thrill of the hunt, because I wanted to experience the games on original hardware. And the only way was to obtain the real deal, but that’s changed now.

I recently bought more MVS games but only because TO announced yet NeoSD PRO MVS.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Sounds nice. If the day ever comes that things change, I'd consider getting rid of some things.

Most of us have already made up our minds. We just come here to validate our past decisions.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member

Classic example of the stuff you own ends up owning you.