The struggle to not cash in on Neo Geo AES consoles and games..

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I don't know how you can get rid of such a cool piece of hardware, even if you never use it. I even went back to NGCD because it was cheap and I felt too far removed from something I used to use all the time as a teenager. Then again, I don't have too many big ticket games. If I were sitting on something that can be sold for a house payment, that might influence my actions.

Not all of us are collector's, some of us are gamers and only keep things that we actually use.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Let me start off by saying that it is okay to sell off your collection if it makes you happy. As for me I've lost my collection once before during hurricane Katrina. I'm honestly never going to sell any of it. It's taken me forever to rebuild it and I sincerely enjoy playing and owning consoles and hardware. When I'm gone everything will be left to my son and he can keep what he wants or sell it all. Until then I'll be holding on to it and fully enjoying it. I will never fault someone who wants to move on from the hobby and I get it. It's just not going to be me.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
This might be the best post you’ve made all year.

Yeah, but I think lot of people just use this statement as a way to justify having a mediocre collection of games (which they still probably don't play that much).

I'm not necessarily saying thats what HMG is doing though.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I decided to keep the console I returned the money as I hadn’t shipped it out yet. I must be driving this poor guy crazy. The final decision came when I went to test the console, I still felt the magic that some of you have spoke of. If I decide to sell it later and it goes for less oh well!

If it still brings you joy then don’t sell if you don’t have to! I’m not at the sell it all stage yet even though I know it’s logical and makes sense.

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Well that's something that everyone thinks about, especially people with a fuckton of 80's and 90's plastique.

Maybe it really isn't worth keeping stuff, since there are people perfectly fine with a Neo SD and a CMVS/Jap AES, and some even with Mame exclusively, but only you can say if collecting is worth it, really. For me I wouldn't mind selling some carts here and there if I had a Neo SD because you're basically giving someone a game for a good price without actually forfeiting the chance of playing it on your Neo, but I know that even if Neo stuff is expensive nowadays the money is fucking nothing in the grand scheme of things and unless I'd be strapped for cash or had a shitload worth more than a hundred thousand I just know that waiting for the next paycheck to get that money instead is 1000% better.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Not all of us are collector's, some of us are gamers and only keep things that we actually use.

This. Well said HMG.

We all enjoy this hobby differently. People can enjoy games however they want and if collecting rather than speedrunning, 1cc’ing, etc is their thing then that’s cool too. We’re all gamers but not all of us choose to retain things for the same reasons.

Last edited:

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
This is an interesting thread. I'm still in the younger 'accrual phase' of my collecting, but there is an issue of succession planning. Do you sell, leave as an inheritance to uninterested family members, or is there a third option- set up a not for profit museum or somesuch? I have a large collection of pinballs and other stuff, and would like it to stay intact even after I cark it. But how to achieve this? Hmmm...

It's up to you what you're gonna do with your stuff.

If there's something I feel like I'm really attached to, I'd pass that on regardlessly of what my son/daughter will do about it. When I'll be gone it won't matter either way, so they'll be free to sell them and make a profit if they don't care about it.
Everything else I'd likely sell it myself and give the money to them so they can use it to fuel their own hobbies/passions.

Same advice Tak gave me yesterday, collect what you really want to play, and wait for opportunity to collect the games you really want. So I guess I can buy the common ones at reasonable prices, such as FF Special and Samurai Shodown, then get the NeoSD, man.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I decided to keep the console I returned the money as I hadn’t shipped it out yet. I must be driving this poor guy crazy. The final decision came when I went to test the console, I still felt the magic that some of you have spoke of. If I decide to sell it later and it goes for less oh well!

If it still brings you joy then don’t sell if you don’t have to! I’m not at the sell it all stage yet even though I know it’s logical and makes sense.

So someone bought it, then you backed out? That's bullshit.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
HMG finally got some respect in this thread.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I thought collectors just like to see a shelf full of games. Some consoles are like that for me, or certain games hold a sentimental value, but with Neo Geo the hardware itself holds a sentimental nostalgia. I don't own my original systems anymore, but just owning the console from my youth makes me happy.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
One thing I noticed for me in the last couple of years is that the thrill to hunt down a particular game is more entertaining than the game itself. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing as I still play every game I get. But the appreciation for a single game is eventually much much lower than decades ago.

I'm contemplating about selling my collection from time to time and I've trimmed it down a lot in the last couple of months/years. But I'm not at a point (yet) to pull it off completely. Might have also to do with the miserable rate of interest which somehow forces you to invest your money to not lose any.

Right? I've been hunting down 3DO M2 prototypes for years. Doing research, contacting people, etc etc etc.

When something finally comes in I play it, do a video on it, then the excitement is gone and it's on to the next hunt.

I wonder if that feeling is universal? Does an archaeologist lose a little bit of the excitement when they finally find what they are looking for? Or is diagnosing a rare disease more interesting to doctors than treating it?

Lol maybe I shouldn't compare game collecting to those careers but sentiment stands

Raiden328i

Not so MEGA, eh?
I sold off all my games Aes, Genesis, Snes, Nes, Pc Engine etc in the last 3 years and never looked back. Finally getting to the consoles. Even sold off some other hobby stuff. I'm at a point were I'm content with just playing the games any way I can. Even if it's not perfect, it's fine. I'll get by.

If you're thinking too much about it you will regret it. I've been there. You will know when it's time to let go. If you're fighting with yourself don't do it.

Still got my gold system though. :)

So you don't even own one? Yet gave me a hard time for wanting a CDZ?

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
... Depends what your collection is worth and what the cash could mean to you in your situation I guess?

In my case it's nowhere near, say, the cost of a car, so not much of a general temptation.

But hypothetically (since it's not my situation), if flogging it would, say, fund a trip that I really wanted to take, or I needed the space, or I was struggling to move for a job - then yeah it'd be gone. But that would go for just about anything I own - so it's not especially because it's aes.

Again, hypothetically, if I somehow had an aes collection worth 10k+ I probably would cash in, and just stick with some mvs for playing - if nothing else just because I probably had it about 20 years and god knows if I could look after it properly much longer...

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
If you can let it go, then do it. This stuff is a burden at the end of the day.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
I wonder if that feeling is universal?

I think it is, broadly speaking.

When I started, I just bought an MVS MV1FZ motherboard, a 138-in-1, dipswitched it, consolized the board, made my own replica MVS Sticks and connected it to my Sony BVM and I've been playing all the Neo Geo games I've played as a kid for months.

Afterwards it kinda died down a bit on me, until I got my SEGA Astro City Cab which sparked my will to play all those games again the way they were meant to be played and so I kept playing for several months and then down it went, due also to time constraints/real life issues.

Then came the System16B board for which I've bought an EPROM programmer and chips and played lots of Altered Beast, Shinobi, Golden Axe, etc...

Then came the Taito F3, then CPS2... now I've been patiently waiting almost 3 years for aje_fr to ship his CPS1 multi and the cycle continues.

In the end, I've just kept my 138-in-1 cart and the EPROM chips for the System16B system and CPS2 and I'm thinking of selling my Taito F3 which doesn't see much use as of late.

Guess that when I'll have the CPS1 multi I'll be again busy for several months with SF2, Ghost n Goblins, Knights of the Round, 3 Wonders, etc. and then go back to go finding something else.

Meanwhile, I've got back into analogue photography (developing and printing my own photos at home), learning classical and electric guitar and a bunch of other things.
We all get excited at first then it slowly fades away as time passes and our attention goes to other things.

I think it's pretty normal.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
Meanwhile, I've got back into analogue photography (developing and printing my own photos at home), learning classical and electric guitar and a bunch of other things.
We all get excited at first then it slowly fades away as time passes and our attention goes to other things.

Definitely. I find my obsession will shift from one interest to another and then back again, sometimes with years in between. When I was in high school, this would happen with music/bands, and I would trade in my CDs when my interest in a particular band would wane, only to regret it later when my interest would be rekindled. Now I rarely sell anything, figuring I will end up regretting it, but I can see a time approaching when my limited life expectancy will become increasingly tangible, making collecting anything seem pointless. (sounds depressing)

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Been there, done that, guess how those things goes.

Not depressing imho, we just grow into something because it seems cool at that point and then forget it until later when we realized that it was actually great.

I started playing piano when I was 6 or 8, can't remember, my mother really wanted that and kept playing until I was 15-16 when I finally called it quits because I wasn't enjoying it.
Turns out that 10 years later I re-discovered playing piano and it was absolutely awesome, started learning the entire Dark Side of the Moon and transcribing some videogame themes I really liked and it was a blast.
Now I haven't touched my piano since I started learning guitar but I definitely see myself getting back to it at some point.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
I started just playing via emulation, and I will be heading back there at some point.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
So someone bought it, then you backed out? That's bullshit.

I would have to agree with you, it was Bullshit. I don’t feel good about it..

I’m just at war with myself when it comes to collecting Neo Geo at the moment. I make no excuse for that crappy move though.