The struggle to not cash in on Neo Geo AES consoles and games..

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
Even though I own a modded Wii, Raspberry Pi and N64 flash cart (EverDrive 64 v2.5) I don't yet feel compelled to sell off any parts of my collection. However, I haven't added a retro game to it in quite some time either. Closest thing was downloading Crash Team Racing: Nitro-Fueled to my PlayStation 4 since CTR is still one of my all-time favorite kart games.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
It’s not a stereotype? It’s a phrase basically meaning “no one cares”

So out of the (at the time) almost 200 posts in this thread, I make one on-topic post and you go out of your way to tell me "no one cares".

Yeah, ok sure.....

Teluin

New Challenger
So out of the (at the time) almost 200 posts in this thread, I make one on-topic post and you go out of your way to tell me "no one cares".

Yeah, ok sure.....

He collects EverDrives and women's toe nails. Your post threatened him so he lashed out. Be kind and ignore such people in 2020.

As the market goes... The constant conversions/reproductions (getting close to perfect replicas to the eye test) will make it difficult eventually to figure out what's legit or not without checking the boards. And if you're a collector buying a rare cart for 5K, do you really want to open it up and risk damaging it in any way? From a gaming standpoint, it's never been easier to play the full Neo-Geo library without the original AES or even MVS carts, so I can see many exiting or never entering the scene.

If you're selling your collection, the chances you'll be able to get back an original AES game that's relatively rare in your collection (without paying massive amounts) will slim as every year passes. Either the unofficial reproductions and multi-carts will drive the original AES carts to unseen heights (very likely) or gradually deflate the market. As everything moves to digital, the physical versions of all classic console games (not just Neo-Geo) will rise imo. So, even from the standpoint of just selling to make the most money you can, you're probably still better off waiting. Similar to if you were holding onto a stock.

Wrote an article about what would theoretically happen to the AES market if SNK officially rereleased AES carts instead of letting third parties thrive without them getting a cut of the action if you're interested.

Last edited:

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member

Yeah, ok sure.....

Two other posts replied to yours saying no one cared that you don’t use an everdrive - what was it about mine to make you quote it? Genuinely curious.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Two other posts replied to yours saying no one cared that you don’t use an everdrive - what was it about mine to make you quote it? Genuinely curious.

Lachlan simply tried to insult my gorgeous game collection.

And I quoted that non-sensical bulbous bread post.

Nice try making it look like I'm targeting you, but you're the one targeting me. And I will not stand for it!

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
That's the point. You don't need to reprogram it. You can just bind A+B and C+D to fifth and sixth inputs in MAME and turn it into a 6 button game (or 7 button if you want to bind B+C which is useful). I can't even play those games on real hardware anymore because it feels so much shittier.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
That's the point. You don't need to reprogram it. You can just bind A+B and C+D to fifth and sixth inputs in MAME and turn it into a 6 button game (or 7 button if you want to bind B+C which is useful). I can't even play those games on real hardware anymore because it feels so much shittier.

No, you just suck. How is it so many people have played with the 4 buttons and don't complain, but with you, everything is problem. Learn to play.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member

I turned it into a one button game so I don't even have to use my hands, just my penis.

Fett

Camel Slug
After inflation, $649.00 in 1990 would cost $1260.00 in 2018.

So is $700 on eBay really that great now?

I guess, if you're not playing it anymore it's a good chunk of change, but eBay's gonna take their 10% cut, and sellers are supposed to pay tax on sales now in most states too. You might be better off selling it elsewhere.

It's hard to say if there will be the level of appreciation we have for classic games now in future years. My parents used to ride motorcycles, and for a long time prices kept going up, but now old bike prices are dropping like crazy, because young people don't give a shit. I'm sure kids that grow up playing games on streaming services in the cloud aren't going to give a fuck about our dusty plastic. Now days you can get most of the good NG games for $8 or less on Switch, and don't have to invest in any additional hardware.

Last edited:

Dr Docking

out of control fake account
I have just completed a study on the effectiveness on selling one's collection and I've found a startling correlation, the less games you own the better your sex life is! Who'd have thought that without all these conversation starters and collectors pieces someone bringing a black light into your home would be verboten!

Last edited:

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I own a Neo Geo AES, and boy does Samurai Shodown 2 ever fucking SUCK when you can't just press one button to do a hard attack.

A+B in 2019? What's wrong with you?

You might have an argument if the game was made in 2019 but as a few other people have said. Get Good.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
No, you just suck. How is it so many people have played with the 4 buttons and don't complain, but with you, everything is problem. Learn to play.

Wow, imagine when he actually tries to play Street Fighter with it's mind blowing 6 buttons. Imagine him trying to do grapples or just basic throwing. Parry... oh shit. I'd pay money to watch his foam face try to play Buriki One.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Wow, imagine when he actually tries to play Street Fighter with it's mind blowing 6 buttons. Imagine him trying to do grapples or just basic throwing. Parry... oh shit. I'd pay money to watch his foam face try to play Buriki One.

Hahahahaha he would complain so hard on the movement alone.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member

He’d rather turn a 6 button fighter like 3rd strike into a 12 button fighter played with a keyboard for every combination possible

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
It's hard to say if there will be the level of appreciation we have for classic games now in future years. My parents used to ride motorcycles, and for a long time prices kept going up, but now old bike prices are dropping like crazy, because young people don't give a shit.

This is a good point as there used to be a baseball/football/hockey card shop near me that eventually closed when people lost interest. Same will probably happen with retro games in the future as the people who used to appreciate them move on to other phases of their lives.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
I sold off most of my stuff for around $60K ten years ago or so (Thanks 8Man and some dude from Europe, forgot his user). I still have two big reds I acquired in mint nearly new condition when I moved here to LA about a decade ago plus some real nice extremely rare mvs kits that I’m not willing to let go at this point. :buttrock:

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
After inflation, $649.00 in 1990 would cost $1260.00 in 2018.

So is $700 on eBay really that great now?

I guess, if you're not playing it anymore it's a good chunk of change, but eBay's gonna take their 10% cut, and sellers are supposed to pay tax on sales now in most states too. You might be better off selling it elsewhere.

It's hard to say if there will be the level of appreciation we have for classic games now in future years. My parents used to ride motorcycles, and for a long time prices kept going up, but now old bike prices are dropping like crazy, because young people don't give a shit. I'm sure kids that grow up playing games on streaming services in the cloud aren't going to give a fuck about our dusty plastic. Now days you can get most of the good NG games for $8 or less on Switch, and don't have to invest in any additional hardware.

Pretty much. I don't think digital entertainment is going to be worth shit in the long run. Kids already couldn't give less of a shit, and the only reason that prices spiked is because generation x and older millenials just hit disposable income age and were throwing money at it during mid life crises.

When you factor in that younger generations don't give a shit and emulation is just going to keep improving, I don't think it'll amount to much in the long run.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I dunno, in some of the gaming circles I run in the younger people (early 20s) seem to be the most die hard anal collectors. That's probably not representative to the generation as a whole though.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Gohan X has a point. Other collectibles already outlived their contemporary generations without loosing their attraction, why shouldn't video games? Though I could imagine, that the most sought after titles will be those done by renowned designers.

Any sealed/mint Miyamoto will be high in demand, while obscure gems like Chippoke Ralph no Daibouken or Karuraou may become completely irrelevant as a collector's item, even if their design/gaming values won't be disputed. Disney's Aladdin or Goof Troop will be even more worth, than their current rate, simply because they were designed by Shinji Mikami.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I dunno, in some of the gaming circles I run in the younger people (early 20s) seem to be the most die hard anal collectors. That's probably not representative to the generation as a whole though.

That generation is included in collectardism since their childhood consoles were also physical. Just wait until VR, Cloud gaming or at the very least Digital-Only consoles really take off.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
That generation is included in collectardism since their childhood consoles were also physical. Just wait until VR, Cloud gaming or at the very least Digital-Only consoles really take off.

Yep and when it's been download only for a decade there will be a second 'retro' coming for that physical world that is no more. Mark my words.