Using USB controllers on MVS

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member
One of my very long serving Neo Geo controllers is giving up the ghost.

Mostly works, but sometimes it doesn't.

I'm thinking it would be good to get a USB stick so it's easier to use with other systems, but struggling to find adaptors to MVS sockets (my consolised MVS board has Saturn ports too).

This switch seems like the right sort of thing:
http://www.brookaccessory.com/detail/95441291/
But it only advertises compatibility for Playstation controllers. But I'm still boycotting Sony for various Dreamcast related crimes I probably imagined.

Of the current gen, I've got an XBox and Switch, so ideally someone could point out an adaptor that would work controllers for them - or tell me that Brooks thing actually works fine with them.

Any thoughts?

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
That brooks adapter does work really well. I use it with my arcade cab and have used it with my AES. The one huge drawback in that it will not save your custom button mapping settings between power off, and even the instructions it came with did not actually work for changing the button mapping. It looks like it has a new firmware since I last used it but they don't mention saving the settings anywhere. If it had that feature it would be perfect.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Perhaps look into the Undamned Decoder. They work pretty well and are in wide use.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Perhaps look into the Undamned Decoder. They work pretty well and are in wide use.

This is the move. Buttons are programmable and they save the settings.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Does the UD converter support wireless controllers or is it only through USB?

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member

How are you sir? it's really been quite a long time.

Didn't you used to be in Texas or something?

I had spotted that Undamned thing, but it doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere. Or at least, a PCB that need looks to need soldering is, but no neat consumer product. I've not owned a soldering iron for 15 years now...

The consumer product looks good but if it's not about then I think it's probably Brooks for me. I'll see if it works with USB controllers generally but the compatibility lists don't bode well really.

I had spotted that Undamned thing, but it doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere. Or at least, a PCB that need looks to need soldering is, but no neat consumer product. I've not owned a soldering iron for 15 years now...

The consumer product looks good but if it's not about then I think it's probably Brooks for me. I'll see if it works with USB controllers generally but the compatibility lists don't bode well really.

It does have terminal blocks, so you could use something like this to make an external solution that doesn't require soldering. However it will be a mess of wires so you are also going to want to build some sort of container.

Twinkle Bay D-SUB DB15 Female 15 Pin Jack Port to Terminal Breakout Board Connector, 2 Row Plug with Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8ZLT5V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_MuVYDbV8T807Y

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
It does have terminal blocks, so you could use something like this to make an external solution that doesn't require soldering. However it will be a mess of wires so you are also going to want to build some sort of container.

Twinkle Bay D-SUB DB15 Female 15 Pin Jack Port to Terminal Breakout Board Connector, 2 Row Plug with Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8ZLT5V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_MuVYDbV8T807Y

I use these for my conversions and custom sticks. Beast Busters 64 for the flight stick controls. Always a great option (and can be reused infinitely vs soldering a DB15 cup)

BlackSpy

Tsrgoihrea,
20 Year Member

I'm kind of trying to avoid heading into that territory. If it feels like that's the option I'll just buy a new AES controller most likely...

I wish that new controller with 20 games in it had a D-SUB connector on it. :)

Saracen

n00b
You could always purchase a Dual Shock 3 or 4 second hand so you're not directly supporting Sony (or get a third party controller). I've used the Brooks controller in conjunction with the Mayfair Magic-NS to hook up my XBOX 360 fight stick. It works like a charm.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member

Hi BlackSpy! I lived in Texas for most of my life but moved to California a few years ago for work. Best of luck with this MVS USB solution :)