Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: How often do Homebrews implement "standard" Neo-Geo logic?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Burning Fight!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    North Korea (Brazil)

    Posts
    100

    How often do Homebrews implement "standard" Neo-Geo logic?

    I'm talking about letting the bios do the logo animation, have a predictable gameplay flow and UI elements like in the official Neo manual, actually being Arcade ready, etc.

    Are those a dealbreaker to you? Having a Neo-Geo cartridge that behaves differently from official software seems kinda common, from small homebrew projects that don't bother with anything but the game itself to NGDev games that have their own menus and shenanigans.

    I'm just asking because it doesn't seem THAT difficult to implement that stuff, especially in areas the BIOS can help (I was very surprised to learn the How to Play screen on Nam-1975 was BIOS provided for instance), but also I don't know if those things are consistent or available throughout the range of MVS/AES hardware (excluding Neo CD naturallY which is another beast of its own).

    Aside from technical difficulties the only "problematic" thing about it might be the Neo logo/eye catcher because of Trademark infringement but that doesn't seem like something nu-SNK will actively fight you over unless you also include their logos on packaging and promotional material.


  2. #2
    Senior Member Burning Fight!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    North Korea (Brazil)

    Posts
    100


    Found this video by Razoola. Was this ever released? Having no luck using the forum's search function.


  3. #3
    MAX POWA SURGE!
    max 330 mega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Richmond, VA

    Posts
    2,022
    I've never seen or heard of that program before. Razoola is away from the scene currently, so I guess you'll need to wait until and if he returns to programming neo stuff to ask him about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneSage View Post
    fuck this gay earth

    -starks out

  4. #4
    NEST Puppet
    Hine62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    New York

    Posts
    186
    I've done some research on this... here is a link to the routines that can handle program flow such as that in the neogeo manual. NeoGeo User Sub Routines

    Just by changing the line in the crt0_cart.s file you can get the NEO-GEO logo to animate. The sound will probably play also...

    _EYE_CATCHER = 0x00 /*;eye catcher (0-common 1-custom 2-off)*/

    I did a quick try with my current project and it animated just like the real logo, but the graphic was wrong and sound was missing. This means that graphics and sound need to be in the correct place, which is most likely why it is turned off.

    Here is a link on the Eyecatcher

  5. #5
    Krauser's Shoe Shiner
    mikew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Austin, TX

    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by Burning Fight!! View Post
    Found this video by Razoola. Was this ever released? Having no luck using the forum's search function.
    If I remember correctly, this was a framework Raz was going to release for homebrew development when we were working on the pc2neo USB code.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Burning Fight!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    North Korea (Brazil)

    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Hine62 View Post
    I've done some research on this... here is a link to the routines that can handle program flow such as that in the neogeo manual. NeoGeo User Sub Routines

    Just by changing the line in the crt0_cart.s file you can get the NEO-GEO logo to animate. The sound will probably play also...

    _EYE_CATCHER = 0x00 /*;eye catcher (0-common 1-custom 2-off)*/

    I did a quick try with my current project and it animated just like the real logo, but the graphic was wrong and sound was missing. This means that graphics and sound need to be in the correct place, which is most likely why it is turned off.

    Here is a link on the Eyecatcher
    Thanks, I suppose you could supply a non-neo logo (eg. your own ficticious software label) but I don't know if that would be too tacky for long time neo owners. Nice to know that the sound (MML?) is supplied by the cart, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikew View Post
    If I remember correctly, this was a framework Raz was going to release for homebrew development when we were working on the pc2neo USB code.
    Too bad but I suppose that's cool for actually looking at stuff myself and not using his code as a crutch. Would be nice to take a peek at, still.
    Last edited by Burning Fight!!; 11-12-2019 at 09:25 PM.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •