Switch dock - flashing green light of death

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I've googled everything on this, and it's just general "plug and unplug" stuff.

My Switch dock is dead. It's killing AC adapters. Tried a second (figuring the AC adapter died) and the second AC adapter died a painful death. No longer charges the Switch plugged in directly after having plugged it into the dock.

Switch charges fine on my iPad Pro charger, so it's not the issue.

I've opened it up and probed everything and have not found a single component shorted to ground. No visual "tells" of anything having failed.

I tossed my Switch into a friends dock and it worked perfectly. I also tried his AC adapter directly into my Switch...also fine.

Nintendo wants $60 + shipping to "repair" the dock and 20 + shipping for the AC adapter. So after round trip shipping it's like $115 for the piece of shit.

Anyone else experienced this? I know its probably a single chip or SMC that needs replacement, but I cannot find a single tutorial on dock repair.

I'll probe it again with my multimeter and see if I missed anything. I haven't checked for "hot" chips yet with the AC adapter plugged in so that's my second option.

Can't open the AC adapter. Fucker is glued together tight. Might dremel and see but that's some late stage business.

But if anyone has any thoughts / has seen any real "repair" tutorials on the green flashling light dock issue, lmk!

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Why would they charge you more than a dock and ac adapter costs new to repair? That's just silly.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Why would they charge you more than a dock and ac adapter costs new to repair? That's just silly.

Right? A new dock and ac set cost 120. Used is 60. Nintendo sucks

I reflowed all the joints. Nothing. I’m just gonna replace the dock and charger with some used GameStop shit

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
The Insignia docks go on sale frequently. IIRC I got my dock for $30 shipped on eBay or OfferUp.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Sorry, I'm unable to edit my posts. The dock I ended up buying for $30 that I mentioned above was a first party dock (dock only, no USB-C charger).

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I figured it out. Bought a second dock, did not work. Apparently the charging chip in the Switch itself is dying. It will slow charge on an iPad charger (who knows why) but it will not charge on two different Switch chargers nor will it output hdmi.

Tried a friends pro controller with my chargers and worked perfectly. So it’s the Switch itself. So odd it’ll charge on a non-intended charger but not the actual charger. Thanks Nintendo

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I am having issues getting my switch to charge as well. Takes tons of tries plugging and unplugging with the original charger to get it to charge for more than a minute. Fuck me. I guess I'm having the same problem. Now what?