Project Neon: A brand new Shoot 'Em Up for the Neo Geo

K1ngArth3r

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Just had a notification about a new NEO-GEO game potential arriving on MVS and AES December 2020

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fullset/project-neon-a-brand-new-shoot-em-up-for-the-neo-geo

I’m not sure what to think, it’s not the traditional horizontal gameplay at first glance.

5F9A18E0-C8C1-4072-89A1-9D5492934349.png

We have a fully playable prototype that runs on real NEO GEO MVS/AES hardware with the first version of key mechanics and the first level completed.

Here is a list of what is currently done in the prototype:

Buttery-smooth 60fps performance with parallax scrolling and lots of bullets rendered on the screen.
Sound and true FM music blasting out of the YM2610!
2 player input handling (controls, play/coin status, etc.)
Support for primary (bullets) and secondary weapons (beams and auto-aim rockets), including a multi-stage power-up weapon system
A bunch of ground and air enemies and two different player ships
First end-boss, composed of multiple elements you can destroy individually for maximum milk
Collision detection
First few advanced bullet and enemy patterns
Level scripting
In-game dialogues system
Apart from all the software bits, we made contact with the renowned folks from the Neo Geo development scene to help estimate costs and ensure a smooth production of the MVS & AES cartridges.

We went above and beyond to ensure full feasibility of this project and setting ourselves up for success

AES / MVS
Standard Edition $450
Collectors Edition $550

Prices are Australian Dollars

Edit: Seems like there was a previous thread with some info here.

Last edited:

NexusX

Astra Superstar
Hmm. Would of liked to see less trailer sales pitch and more behind the scenes "what we are actually doing" videos or info.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Oh boy, my dream has always been to have a home cart of a NES Twinbee game. Wasn't there a thread about this garbage already?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Wow why do they try and sell it by showing a chubby cap wearing hobo playing it in a dark room? Wait I know why, thats the demographic.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Stretch Goals

It's simple: More content, more details, more everything.

With our campaign funding target being relatively low (if put into relation to the actual costs and effort it takes to produce a new game for the Neo Geo) we'll use the extra funds collected primarily to make Project Neon an even better game.

What a cop out. Again, people who launch these kickstarters are clueless about project management. This is like saying give us 200k to build a house, the house will be nice but if you give me an extra 100k I will make it really nice! How can you deliver on your vision if you haven’t set the budget correctly? The game is done when it’s good not good when it’s done.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
I'm all for new Indie games, but that doesn't look like its pushing the boundary of the Neo at all.

Was very interested about this when I heard about this last week, but now seeing the trailer i'm left very disappointed. Not something I can back at $500 with a chance it may not even happen.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
If this was NGDev Team, y'all nut riders would be all over this.

:thevt:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

Hey it looks better than Knights Chance at least, and there were plenty of people that wanted it.

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
Graphics are underwhelming. Even Alpha Mission 2 and Andro Dunos look better, and thouse where basicly launch titels.

-SD-

Camel Slug
If this was a Megadrive game I’d be dubious of backing it with those graphics, as a Neo title... just no.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member

Nope, back when I had a home system I owned zero NG:dev titles (600€ Amiga games basically)

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Looks very promising. Exciting to hear that someone is actually writing music for the Neo's sound chip.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I didn't know Japhei was working on a game!

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
And the best thing is if I read it right. You need to even back the 550AUD tier to get a manual, the "cheap" 450 tier has only a box...

Alrightyyyy....

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
The game is done when it’s good not good when it’s done.

From a developer perspective, I can assure you that with that mentality this will 100% end up in development hell, due to people always wanting to get it better and will sink more and more time and money and never actually get out.

The game is done when it's done. End of the story.

End up with more money? Great, decide what to do with that (keep it for yourself, delay the game's release to improve sprites/music/SFX/etc.), but when it's done, really, it's done.

Set a goal and just get it out when you reach it.

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Set a goal and just get it out when you reach it.

Spot on. If they make an extra 50k on top good luck to them. They can stick it in their pocket or make an art book or something but have a final design ready, set the budget and then build it. Leaving it open ended tells me they have poor vision for what the final game is meant to look like.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

Maybe you would be...

(600€ Amiga games basically)

Right

Graphics are underwhelming. Even Alpha Mission 2 and Andro Dunos look better, and thouse where basicly launch titels.

Uh, those are actual arcade shooting games from actual arcade game developers. You expect this phony cash grab game to look better than real games from 1991/1992 just because it has been recently "developed"? If so you're delusional.

These people could have all of the financial resources in the world and what they'd produce would still never look authentic

Last edited:

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
I'm a sucker for tate shmups and I think Neo XYX was the best (mediocre) effort NG Dev has done so far. So in other words I'd be down for another vertical ride like Project Neon on the Neo Geo for sure. But this project somehow doesn't convince me at all. Sure they are in alpha phase, graphics look low standard SNES type at max, not much to see here yet. But that's not my main gripe I have with this whole project.

Why should I sink $300+ in a Kickstarter project without knowing if this even comes to fruitition? I'm sure this will have a lot of delays like Kraut Buster. At latest when it comes to actual manufacturing of cartridges etc. And I'm not sure if there's any chance to get my money back if they fail.

Bottom line: wake me up when the project is ready and I'll consider an after market copy if the game pleases.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Maybe you would be...

Right

Uh, those are actual arcade shooting games from actual arcade game developers. You expect this phony cash grab game to look better than real games from 1991/1992 just because it has been recently "developed"? If so you're delusional.

These people could have all of the financial resources in the world and what they'd produce would still never look authentic

100%
The bottom line is real v not real

These people could have all of the financial resources in the world and what they'd produce would still never look authentic[/QUOTE]

DAMN, you right though. Nobody will ever achieve it, no matter how much they try, only SNK can do it.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Neo launch titles had better graphics.

Anyways, I'd say good for them if it's a fun little homebrew project, but the prices they're asking for are freaking outrageous.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Looks quite average at the moment. Cool to see some Aussies getting into the Neo home brew scene though.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Looks interesting, but def not going to commit that type of $ on a 60 second trailer with ten seconds of gameplay