Project Neon: A brand new Shoot 'Em Up for the Neo Geo

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Not a fan of the graphics nor the design decision to make it look cute. I would think the demographics of neo gamers prefers something more mature.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Not a fan of the graphics nor the design decision to make it look cute. I would think the demographics of neo gamers prefers something more mature.
Because no one likes Captain Tomaday or Twinkle Star Sprites?

ndiddy

n00b
Seems pretty dumb to make it a tate game, there's lots of good vertical shooters with a normal monitor orientation (Soukyugurentai on Saturn for instance), and I don't think people are going to want to turn their monitor on its side for one game.

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member

As a potential investor into this Project Neon, I don't see this game pushing the graphical limits of what the AES/MVS hardware is capable of. You can argue that it's the gameplay that counts, but I disagree...If I'm potential investor, I would like to see a game that showcase the powerhouse of what the AES/MVS really are compared to its contemporaries with creative gameplays implemented by the game designers . At this moment, this game is a potential cash grab.

Last edited:

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Looks like the earlier thread about Project Neon.

Unlike the others who only dish out critiques, I offer a solution. How about showcasing a live demo at this year's sacamento gamer's expo?

http://www.sacgamersexpo.com/

It'll give them the opportunity to network with the community and to show a playable proof of concept of the game for additional funding to the project. In addition, the local and state wide news agency and video games publications will be there to cover the event, which will give free exposure to the project.

Last edited:

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Unlike the others who only dish out critiques, I offer a solution. How about showcasing a live demo at this year's sacamento gamer's expo?

It'll give them the opportunity to network with the community and to show a playable proof of concept of the game for additional funding to the project. In addition, the local and state wide news agency and video games publications will be there to cover the event, which will give free exposure to the project.

Hey man, that would imply that there is a playable proto. Somehow I think this is still in it's pre-embryonic stages and what's shown isn't running on Neo hardware. But let them prove me wrong.

Gamemaster

20 Year Member

It'll give them the opportunity to network with the community and to show a playable proof of concept of the game for additional funding to the project.

Dont know, critics are not generally bad. They give hints and room to improve.
Basicly i would say they can fully finish the game without extra money. When its ready they can ask for money to help buy stuff to make the carts, paperwork and so on.
You can also just take preorders and get the stuff done with preorder money.

Look at that Star Citizen scam, they collected millions of $ and the game is still not ready after 7 years ( Kickstarter was 2012 ).

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Look at that Star Citizen scam, they collected millions of $ and the game is still not ready after 7 years ( Kickstarter was 2012 ).

Well, it's pretty well known Chris Roberts is a leech. He almost bankrupted Origin years ago with his bloated games and then went belly up with the Wing Commander movie that he JUST HAD to direct. People should have known this before giving that man a dime.

I think it looks nice so far. Not too shabby for a homebrew. Cant wait for the inevitable Dreamcast port.

He must be one of those people who only play Dudebro games like Call of Duty that don't have any color and would be embarrassed if his beer chugging football fan friends found out he plays Twinkle Star Sprites and Twinbee….lmao

Last edited:

Missile

Another Striker
If this was NGDev Team, y'all nut riders would be all over this.

:thevt:

You really need to read the Fast Striker announcement thread "This looks sh*t!", "How dare someone release a new game?" etc

As for this game it looks fun but simple and not a game I'd pay that amount for. I'd like to see more of the game first. It looks like they knocked up a demo using the devkit and added the music on the video from another source

How come no one ever releases a platform or racing game?

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
Seems pretty dumb to make it a tate game, there's lots of good vertical shooters with a normal monitor orientation (Soukyugurentai on Saturn for instance), and I don't think people are going to want to turn their monitor on its side for one game.
Deja-vu.

I want to punch whoever started using the term "buttery-smooth" to describe framerates.
Yeah, and no one ever mentioned 60fps back in the day either. Although maybe we should've to single out poorly-running games.

Last edited:

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
After being burned by lesser Kickstarters there is no way I’m laying out that kind of dough. The game looks interesting, and if it comes out I’d be into checking it out. But right now this seems guaranteed to be a colossal disappointment.

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
Yeah, and no one ever mentioned 60fps back in the day either.

This is not true, because there simply wasn't that kind of knowledge back in the days, "60fps" it has became borderline meme today.
I clearly remember reviewers using the term "smooth" referred to animation and scrolling or "without hiccups" which meant, translated to today's standard, "the game runs at a steady 60fps".

Same stuff, different terms. And yeah, it was important back then just like it is today and SEGA, among the others, knew it way well. There was a great video on youtube where several sources mentioned how hard SEGA's arcade teams (AM2 being one of them) worked to always achieve 60fps on their arcade games, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. The title was something among the lines of "The importance of 60fps in arcade games".

Last edited:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
This is not true, because there simply wasn't that kind of knowledge back in the days, "60fps" it has became borderline meme today.
I clearly remember reviewers using the term "smooth" referred to animation and scrolling or "without hiccups" which meant, translated to today's standard, "the game runs at a steady 60fps".

So it sounds like we're in agreement then, and you accidentally typed the word "not".

donluca

Ninja Combat Warrior
I've interpreted your post as "no one payed attention/no one cared about 60fps", due to the "buttery-smooth" comment you quoted (with which I agree completely, although a game might even run at a stable 30fps and feel "smooth", the issue is erratic framerates and unintended slowdowns).

My bad :)

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Gamefan was one of the first publications that talked about framerates in the MD/SFC era. So it was at least mentioned during that time. But it was a big to do during arcade early 3D from the likes on Namco and Sega.

city41

Aero Fighters Flyboy
10 Year Member
Hey man, that would imply that there is a playable proto. Somehow I think this is still in it's pre-embryonic stages and what's shown isn't running on Neo hardware. But let them prove me wrong.

From the kickstarter: "We have a fully playable prototype that runs on real NEO GEO MVS/AES hardware with the first version of key mechanics and the first level completed."

NexusX

Astra Superstar
From the kickstarter: "We have a fully playable prototype that runs on real NEO GEO MVS/AES hardware with the first version of key mechanics and the first level completed."

Ya... That I take with a grain of salt. That is one reason I would of rather seen a "behind the scenes" info video rather than a trailer sales pitch video.

Pinball

Kula's Candy
Good luck to these guys, as it's great to see new blood in the NeoGeo scene. The vertical monitor is going to limit interest unfortunately IMO, and the graphics clearly need some work. Add some blood and gratuitous nudity and I'm in ;-)

TMOSteel

20 Year Member

Not for $300 I don't. Besides, I'm still waiting on the last Neo Geo Kickstarter I backed to come to fruition.

They should make the demo available to help sell the project. Granted, it could work against them ("played the demo, it sucked") but the more educated and experienced Neo Geo people would hopefully see the potential, if there is any.

GamingCult

n00b
They posted on Twitter yesterday that if a specific tweet of theirs gets 200 retweets, they’ll release a demo/alpha next week. The tweet currently has 81 retweets and they are not even at 50% of their kickstarter funding goal. I’ve been burned before (looking at you Watermelon Games and your Paprium BS), so I’m VERY hesitant to back this. Long story short, the Twitter handle is @FULLSET_Collect if anyone is interested in their little challenge.

-SD-

Camel Slug
I really can’t see them hitting their funding goal with only a few days to go.