All the recommendations for early Neo games

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Not just shitting on it. Taking a gigantic steaming diarrhoea dump on it.

Agreed. Last Resort is solid and I enjoy it as much as Ghost Pilots. Yes to the earlier recommendation on League Bowling...not the best graphics but a lot of fun with a group, especially using the link cable.

Hey fake account, your opinion is worthless

Shackleford

Banned
Hey fake account, your opinion is worthless

Guess what.......

..............so is your post in this thread.....:vik:

I'm trying to fix a legit problem here....piss poor game recommendations. Not sure why Magician Lord gets some many dicks hard. :scratch:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Mag Lord isn't as bad as you say. Are you getting stuck at a certain part? The game isn't very hard and the stages are pretty unique visually. I dig the music too.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Mag Lord isn't as bad as you say. Are you getting stuck at a certain part? The game isn't very hard and the stages are pretty unique visually. I dig the music too.
I've read that Magician Lord is even harder than Super Ghouls N' Ghosts- is that true? I've played Super Ghouls N' Ghosts, and it's the hardest platformer I've ever played- mainly because you can't move around when you jump.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
A lot of early Neo Geo games just feel “okay” to me. Magician Lord I want to like but that kind of side scroller doesn’t really seem to pull me in.

A game I really want to like is Cyber Lip. I love the box art. And the backgrounds are great and so are the bosses. But the main characters and enemies are all so goofy looking. And it plays a little slow compared to Contra games from that time frame.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I used to ignore early Neo games like any n00b out there. It changed drastically, once Everdrives appeared. First I discovered launch games for the Engine and Mega Drive, then came the NeoSD. It was a great experience, supported also by ng.com and the possibility to talk about those games. I'm now at a point where I think, that it's just a matter of time you pour into playing any particular title and how open your mind is, but I agree, that time can be scarce.

Arcade games are less beginner friendly, because of their difficulty and secrets, which you have to discover stubbornly by try & error or a good research. It's worth the effort, though. You won't get far in 8Man, if you don't know that using the two-button special is key. The same can be said about Sengoku 2, which is basically a one-move game, as asid once described it. Cyber-Lip demands a careful schedule when and which weapon you should take and/or reload and where you should use it. The high-jump is important to master, too. Once done, a one credit clear is at hand. Using kicks instead of punches makes Burning Fight accessible, Elta's secret is jumping, not walking... etc. etc.

To cut a long story short, my recommendations for early Neo Geo games: (1990) NAM-1975, Magician Lord, Cyber-Lip, League Bowling. (1991) Sengoku, Blue's Journey, Alpha Mission II, Burning Fight, Crossed Swords, 8Man, Fatal Fury. (1992) Mutation Nation, Last Resort, Ninja Commando, Andro Dunos, Art of Fighting & Viewpoint.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
I've read that Magician Lord is even harder than Super Ghouls N' Ghosts- is that true? I've played Super Ghouls N' Ghosts, and it's the hardest platformer I've ever played- mainly because you can't move around when you jump.

Im gonna say no. I haven't completed either game but have got quite far in Magician Lord. There's a good playthrough vid of ML by exmosquito on YouTube, about 20 mins long I think

The music of Magician Lord blasting out a cab is something else.

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I used to ignore early Neo games like any n00b out there. It changed drastically, once Everdrives appeared. First I discovered launch games for the Engine and Mega Drive, then came the NeoSD. It was a great experience, supported also by ng.com and the possibility to talk about those games. I'm now at a point where I think, that it's just a matter of time you pour into playing any particular title and how open your mind is, but I agree, that time can be scarce.

Arcade games are less beginner friendly, because of their difficulty and secrets, which you have to discover stubbornly by try & error or a good research. It's worth the effort, though. You won't get far in 8Man, if you don't know that using the two-button special is key. The same can be said about Sengoku 2, which is basically a one-move game, as asid once described it. Cyber-Lip demands a careful schedule when and which weapon you should take and/or reload and where you should use it. The high-jump is important to master, too. Once done, a one credit clear is at hand. Using kicks instead of punches makes Burning Fight accessible, Elta's secret is jumping, not walking... etc. etc.

To cut a long story short, my recommendations for early Neo Geo games: (1990) NAM-1975, Magician Lord, Cyber-Lip, League Bowling. (1991) Sengoku, Blue's Journey, Alpha Mission II, Burning Fight, Crossed Swords, 8Man, Fatal Fury. (1992) Mutation Nation, Last Resort, Ninja Commando, Andro Dunos, Art of Fighting & Viewpoint.

This. This is a man of taste. :buttrock:

NexusX

Astra Superstar
If we are talking about 94 and earlier....
Has no one said Bust-A-Move/Puzzle Bobble yet?? Cheap and addictive.

Here is a Dr. Seuss motto.
"Get yourself a $500 NeoSD and call it a day. Don't participate in dick measuring contests here. That's pretty gay."

Last edited:

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
How are you gonna try to take down Magician Lord? Too tough for you, I guess? It will probably always be my favorite Neo Geo game. It has been in one of my systems since I got it.

Also, World Heroes and World Heroes 2 are super underrated, if you ask me. Compared to other fighters around that time, they stand up well today.

Lastly, why hasn't anybody mentioned Fatal Fury Special? If I could only pick one game from before 1994, other than Magician Lord, I would probably pick this.